Gaming Beast
2278 posts

Re: How big will the multiplayer community be?

Jun 8, 2013

Solid_Altair wrote:

"- No mercs playlist option" --- What is this?

If the playerpool is anywhere near Uncharted, it should be quite good at matching connections, because of having only 2 modes.

Now, about the game being unsavory for beginners, there are factors that can make things better or worse:

* A progression that gives veterans much more rawu power than beginners can have is bad.

*If the progression requires players to do specific stuff during matches, it is also bad.

These things makes beginners seating ducks. It sux to loose a confrontation because the other guy has am awesome loadout that you can't have anytime soon. And it sux to keep risking your life to taunt corpses.

KZ3, AC3 and Battlefield BC2 were examples of good progressions, that didn't have much of the bad stuff mentioned above. You could play these games without an abyssmal difference of power in relation to the veterans. And from the beginning you could actually focus on the matches, play the game for real; as opposed to do specific things to get the upgrades.

If the game has a good proggression, the player pool is likely to remain big for a longer while. But I'm not optimistic about TLOU's progression. From the info presented so far, it seems like it's gonna have a lot of that bad stuff. It seems like the designers only care about using the proggression to get players hooked up in the game; not caring if it makes them play badly or if it's unfair to relatively new players.

About the necessity of parties...

It is really a matter of the point system. If players are greatly rewarded for doing coop stuff, they will generally play tactically, even in random teams. BF is the finest example of this - the tactical stuff gives you half your points, pretty much. But if the point system rewards kills much more than coop stuff, there will be no big cooperation in random teams... so the parties will be a must and theyw ill dominate the games in a way that probably won't be fun (it happened in KZ3 and it was boring for both sides).

In competitive multiplayer I have never been a fan of the XP system as far as rank and unlocking things goes. Everything should be unlocked from the start because it levels the playing field and not everyone is going to put the same amount of time in.

Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 54 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
405 posts

Jun 8, 2013

I don't think everything should be unlocked when you start playing.  Take U2 for example,  the more you played, if you got to a certain level you would be rewarded with a skin.  Having these be unlocked right when you start playing wouldn't be that great.  But I do think things such as weapons and boosters should be pretty attainable early on.  It only makes sense though for ND to reward people who are playing their game.

photo tloumpreveal_zpse1518e02.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 54 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1879 posts

Jun 8, 2013

It better be a large player pool. I don't want to run into endless amounts of MEX/KSA/CHLE/BRA/ARG all the goddamn time.

Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 54 (128 Views)
Survivor
2179 posts

Jun 8, 2013

TeabagMcFrag wrote:

It better be a large player pool. I don't want to run into endless amounts of MEX/KSA/CHLE/BRA/ARG all the goddamn time.

Don't forget PERU 

Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 54 (120 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1027 posts

Jun 8, 2013
About as big as the MP itself, so not very.
Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 54 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Jun 8, 2013
I see the point of having everything unlocked for a level playing field. There will be hardcore gamers that would be so OP for playin the game nonstop, then here comes casual gamer newbie who just joined in. Chances of survival for newbie against hardcore gamer is obviously low.
"If your choice is to save me over everybody else in the world then...ok. I trust you now and let’s live life.." ~TheVulcanSalute
Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 54 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
258 posts

Jun 8, 2013

blackdelage wrote:
I see the point of having everything unlocked for a level playing field. There will be hardcore gamers that would be so OP for playin the game nonstop, then here comes casual gamer newbie who just joined in. Chances of survival for newbie against hardcore gamer is obviously low.

But at least the noobs will have a fighting chance and learn from the exerience.

Last Of Us GOTY
Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 54 (99 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2830 posts

Jun 8, 2013

In fighting games, everything is unlocked. You know who wins? The person with the most knowledge and better reactions. (There's more to it than that.)
My point is.. Having everything unlocked, doesn't mean anything really in terms of being "overpowered".

Nerf
Buff
Patch
Adapt

photo tumblr_mf1ussHvgx1qfdlxyo1_1280.png
Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 54 (78 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2318 posts

Jun 8, 2013

Psyken wrote:

In fighting games, everything is unlocked. You know who wins? The person with the most knowledge and better reactions. (There's more to it than that.)
My point is.. Having everything unlocked, doesn't mean anything really in terms of being "overpowered".

That's because in most fighting games there aren't any perks or mods. Did everyone forget what happened in U3 with Spyder's M9, which was unlocked at level 1 and could be equipped with any mod? The game was filled with noobs using Spyder's M9+RoF.

Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 54 (69 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2830 posts

Jun 8, 2013
Lv. 1 can't unlock RoF.. Can they?

Nerf
Buff
Patch
Adapt

photo tumblr_mf1ussHvgx1qfdlxyo1_1280.png
Please use plain text.
Message 50 of 54 (64 Views)
0 Likes