Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 30 2013
By: cvbxsta Hekseville Citizen 268 posts

How much exploration/"openness" is there?

8 replies 296 views Edited May 30, 2013
I know that TLOU isn't open world and that in combat, the "arenas" are open so you have different options and tactics available

But will there be any exploration in general? Like hub areas or small towns kind of like those villages in RE4?

Those screenshots from the 4 Hours In thread showed some nice environments. It wouldn't be bad if there isn't much exploration but I think this will be the type of game where I'll really want to take in the world and look around.
Message 1 of 9 (296 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
469 posts

Re: How much exploration/"openness" is there?

May 30, 2013

I don't think the cities are too open, they're most likely blocked by invisble walls or cars and other junk which you can't pass, I think they could've pulled off an open world game but the graphics would've been downgraded.

---
PSN: Chaystic

add me.
Message 2 of 9 (292 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

May 30, 2013
Oh I didn't think they make the cities that open, but what about once they're going cross country? Small towns, road side malls, or just open areas in general? Maybe a possibility
Message 3 of 9 (281 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

[ Edited ]
May 30, 2013

Well actually you can unlock secret doors that you can open with shivs. You can engage conversations optionally, but that is not saying much.

At mark 2:17

Message 4 of 9 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
345 posts

May 30, 2013

The game is actually very open, sometimes it will feel like a open world game.

There are sometimes different places to explore and different conversations to hear.

Message 5 of 9 (257 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
184 posts

May 30, 2013
I think it depends on the level. Boston is pretty linear, but Lincoln is significantly more open allowing you to go into different shops and allies, find hidden items, scavengeable materials and optional conversations.
Message 6 of 9 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
480 posts

May 30, 2013
They said its a pretty much open game.
But it has linearity at its core.
As much stress has been layed on scavenging and crafting. So it would be open to a certain degree.
I really doubt like small cities or stuff villages in between cause most of the travelling is gonna be in cutscenes. And then we have to move on.
Message 7 of 9 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

May 30, 2013

So far we've only seen combat against hunters in small area like the apartments or  the general store

I just keep envisioning (or at least hoping for) parts where you have to play cat-and-mouse with them in larger areas like an abandoned gas station (interiors plus outdoor area) or a farm house with a barn and fields or just like a house with a few floors.

With the stealth aspects and AI, it certainly would be possible.

Message 8 of 9 (149 Views)
Lombax Warrior
252 posts

May 31, 2013
i wish they would have done what they did with socom 4 concerning items to find / scavenge . And that is, their locations change each time you play it.

So one time you may have found a brick to kill someone. ... next time you play it that brick may not be there.

too bad they didn't add in needing to find food to restore health like they did in I Am Alive.
Message 9 of 9 (88 Views)
0 Likes