Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 01 2013
By: Darth_Karto2287 Lombax Warrior 174 posts

How scary is The Last of us?

15 replies 8794 views Edited Jun 1, 2013

The Devs call it SURVIVAL-Action instead of survival horror

but some say it is scarier than it looks but I don see it?

Message 1 of 16 (8,794 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Re: How scary is The Last of us?

Jun 1, 2013

It's scary in the sense that you better not fart near a runner.

Message 2 of 16 (8,788 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Jun 1, 2013

u wot m8

Message 3 of 16 (8,781 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jun 1, 2013

I would say if you play on Survival with the lights off and had the whole surround sound thing going on and all, it could be quite a frightening experience considering the harder the game is, the more frightened you seem to become. But that's from my own personal experiences of video games, such as the end of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune with the zombies running down you in the dark hallway. I did that at 2 in the morning with lights off and a headset. Oh what fun that was.

Message 4 of 16 (8,706 Views)
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Jun 1, 2013

they not zombies though like last of us and uncharted

Message 5 of 16 (8,694 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
403 posts

Jun 1, 2013
Played on my 120 inch screen via optomo HD projector, lights off and surround sound cranked. It was def. A nail biter at first especially when they find you and you have to run for your life. My grl was scared while playing.
Uncharted 3 Stats Card by the Naughty-Kennel.com - kenjovani
Message 6 of 16 (8,659 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2480 posts

Jun 1, 2013

Bernern wrote:

I would say if you play on Survival with the lights off and had the whole surround sound thing going on and all, it could be quite a frightening experience considering the harder the game is, the more frightened you seem to become. But that's from my own personal experiences of video games, such as the end of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune with the zombies running down you in the dark hallway. I did that at 2 in the morning with lights off and a headset. Oh what fun that was.

I am so gonna do that!! 

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Message 7 of 16 (8,637 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 1, 2013

Feels "classic Resident Evil" scary to me from the demo. Spooky atmosphere, tension and/or sadness from found notes/bodies/etc. Lone enemies aren't much of a threat, multiple or surprise attacks invoke panic more than terror, but (like RE) it all depends on how well armed you are.

Lots of ammo and powerful guns? No real worries except for getting blind-sided (hilariously happened to me by a Clicker first time I reached the last part of the demo).

Far few bullets than enemies, SMART enemies (humans hopefully have better AI than infected, as suggested by the video playthroughs seen of bandits) and limited healing resources will make enemy encounters MUCH scarier, IMO.

Already have a healthy respect for Clickers (insta-kill grapples?!) and Runners (serious bad news in numbers and FAST) after the demo, though.

So, not Silent Hill level horror but definitely spooky and encouraging caution (I was creeping and had my flashlight off from the moment you see the first dead body!).

Message 8 of 16 (8,610 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Jun 1, 2013
^ til this day i haven't played any Silent Hill games. I was pretty traumatized when i was a kid and i popped in the first one on my PS. When all i could see was mist, told myself "oh hell no". Took that disc out and never touched it again.

I handled RE1 to Nemesis just fine, dunno why SH was that terrifyin to me.
"If your choice is to save me over everybody else in the world then...ok. I trust you now and let’s live life.." ~TheVulcanSalute
Message 9 of 16 (8,548 Views)
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

Jun 1, 2013

Silent Hill is disturbing as much as scary, whereas games like the RE series (I still love the "classic" REs: 0, 1, 2, 3, CV) are just "scare you by making you jump" for the most part.

I still remember my first SH playthough; had a college paper due the next day but bought SH as a blind buy and spent most of the night playing it in one go instead!

Got the worst ending, of course, but still consider it the most dramatically cool ending of them all for that game (SH2 I almost think the same about too!).

Running around in that fog and darkness was a breeze compared to that bloody, rusty hell of the Other World. Genuinely scary, IMO, especially the more you descend deeper into the darkness as the game progresses (I also remember my first playthrough spending so much time just running in terror from enemies and missing 90% of the "exploring"!).

SH2 is a wonderful story and really well written, but SH1 was my most memorable experience with the series.

If you want to scare yourself, though, try the Fatal Frame games. :smileyhappy:

Message 10 of 16 (8,525 Views)
0 Likes