Monster Hunter
38 posts

Re: How to Achieve the Best Audio Experience

Jun 28, 2013

GloZorCoMeTh wrote:

Cambridge SoundWorks Ensemble II with both the Powered and Slave 12" sub-woofers.  Center Channel is the Center Channel Plus.  The surround and surround back speakers are the Surround 5.1 speakers from Cambridge SoundWorks as well.  I got them all in 1997 or so, but they sound the same as the day I got them.  The only speaker set to Large in our set up are the Front speakers.

115345[1].jpg

102884[1].jpg

Cha-ching. Love your set up. I'll have something similar once I don't live in an apartment.

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 29 (1,149 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1634 posts

Jun 28, 2013

GloZorCoMeTh wrote:

I have a 7.1 system.  I find that DTS 5.1, Small Center, and Default Dynamic Range are best.  In terms of Dynamic Range, it is best to turn it off if you want the full range of sound from any particular audio encode.

Same setup here. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 29 (1,094 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Aug 6, 2013

Hi,

I just received my Pulse Elite headset and I'm very happy with it. But in order to achieve the best surround sound (albeit virtual surround, I know) do I have to change something  in the audio output settings, like turning on dolby digital 5.1? 
Now I've set this to stereo I think because for the moment I can't install my onkyo surround system because of renovations in the house.

Or does this nothing have to with the pulse headset?

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 29 (809 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2019 posts

Aug 6, 2013

Cowboy_Henk wrote:

Hi,

I just received my Pulse Elite headset and I'm very happy with it. But in order to achieve the best surround sound (albeit virtual surround, I know) do I have to change something  in the audio output settings, like turning on dolby digital 5.1? 
Now I've set this to stereo I think because for the moment I can't install my onkyo surround system because of renovations in the house.

Or does this nothing have to with the pulse headset?

Download the Pulse App (in PS store, under apps. its free). Download "the last of us" mode to your headset.

Make sure your pulse's "virtual surroud sound" is ON (default is ON).

set in game audio settings to Dolby Digital 7.1, dynamic range normal/default, center speaker size small.

--
if you vote for Cave Plunder, may the gods have mercy on your soul
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 29 (805 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 6, 2013

Thanks. But I don't have TLOU yet, are the settings you mentioned DD 7.1,... in the game options or in the ps3 general settings?

Edit: I read that previously you set this on headset mode in tlou, is it much better now with the tlou pulse mode? And do you notice the 7.1 surround effects?

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 29 (800 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2019 posts

Aug 6, 2013

Cowboy_Henk wrote:

Thanks. But I don't have TLOU yet, are the settings you mentioned DD 7.1,... in the game options or in the ps3 general settings?

Edit: I read that previously you set this on headset mode in tlou, is it much better now with the tlou pulse mode? And do you notice the 7.1 surround effects?

DD 7.1 in game settings, in options under audio. 

for me, the DD 7.1 is better than headset. 

with the "TLOU" pulse mode preset, DD 7.1 is fantastic. I definitely notice the surround sound. obviously, sometimes i cant detect if something is just "behind" me or "behind me and slightly to the right," but thats no big deal.

on the DD 7.1 sounds seem fuller and more "natural," meaning every.single. sound. is not brought to the front of the mix, all in your face. for example if you walk away from a character talking, they become harder to hear. I like that, others may not. you can always switch on subtitles and decide for yourself if youre missing too much sound.

--
Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 29 (790 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
261 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2013

I bought a pair of DPX-21 Headphones from Turtle Beach with 7.1 Dolby DIgital, etc. etc. They sounded amazing for about 4 months before the plastic connecting the headphone to the band going across your head broke, so I had to duct tape the headphone on, and wrap (this is embarassing) a t-shirt around my head tightly to hold the headphone snugly against my head so that it worked properly. Of course within acnother couple of months, the other headphone broke off at the same spot.

Keep in mind I always kept really good care of these as they were expensive and I really loved playing games like Dead Space with them, it' perfect for games like TLOU where being able to detect the direction and intensity of sound is very important for your survival. Now I have a really nice TV, with quality sound, but I'm thinking of duct-taping the other headphone, because even though it'll be a lot of work and I'll look like the taliban using it (havign to wrap a t-shirt around my head to keep connections snug). There have been several moments when being able to easily determine the direction a sound is coming from would have been immensely helpful.

So, in conclusion, don't buy DPX-21's from Turtle Beach unless you're ready to replace them 6 months later. I recently found out that many users of Turtle Beach's products complain about the brittleness of the pastic. They're jsut a lot cheaper for a sound that rivals more expensive brands, Anyone have any suggestions for high-quality (simulated) surround-sound headphones that aren't too expensive but also won't break so quickly?

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 29 (767 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1326 posts

2 weeks ago

I am using a neutral, reference, planarmagnetic headphone and the maximum range is superior to standard for me...

With standard, you get uneven loudness [gunshots are much louder than everything else for example] whereas with maximum range everything is super balanced and natural.

So for something that was done in a short time, the maximum range is pretty awesome, although I admit there were a few dialogues [very few though] that could possibly use a bit more volume, but that's about it...

The sound engine is pretty amazing overall, love it :]

Great job you Dogs!

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 29 (61 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2019 posts

5 days ago

ICYMI, The Last of Us Remastered for PS4 includes remastered audio as well.

ND: Please make the TLOU Sony Headset preset available on the PS$ headset app. RIght now, its only available on the PS3 headset app. Meaning, all new converters will miss out.

Ive messaged Eric and Macgruber about this. Hopefully its arranged.

--
Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 29 (28 Views)
0 Likes