Jun 24 2013
By: Baroni88 First Son 18 posts

Hw do I do a gun finisher?

18 replies 1760 views Edited Jun 24, 2013
I can't figure out how to do a gun finisher like in one of the first gameplay videos they put out where Joel beats a guy to the ground and then when the enemy is on his hands and knees, Joel pulls the shotgun and shoots his head off.

How do you perform that move?
Message 1 of 19 (1,760 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
755 posts

Re: Hw do I do a gun finisher?

Jun 24, 2013

I have had it happen a few times.  I think it's random or else I don't know what I did.  I believe it may happen during a fist fight and the guy just kinda puts up his hands and begs for mercy basically.  You could then choose to finish him off any number of ways.  Blowing the guy's head off is almost always good for a 'Jesus Joel' (or some such) comment from Ellie.

Message 2 of 19 (1,733 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Jun 24, 2013

It's not random. Just pull out your long gun and melee the hell out of them.

Message 3 of 19 (1,719 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
769 posts

Jun 24, 2013

Once an enemy is down and it says, "triangle to grab," aim your gun at him and he'll beg for his life.

sig.png

Message 4 of 19 (1,718 Views)
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 24, 2013

I was thinking that was "scripted" for the demo, sadly... is it actually possible? I was disappointed to never have it happen (ditto someone taking Ellie hostage) when I played; never had an enemy go down and beg. Heck, I could never even figure out how to melee someone with anything apart from fists or a melee weapon (no gun butts)... but I hear that's possible too, right?

Gonna have to try the suggestions in this thread to see if I can trigger it!

Message 5 of 19 (1,702 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
147 posts

Jun 24, 2013

Yup hitting with the shotgun or rifle is possible and yes, they even said/showed in some interview that if you melee dude down to his knees u get auto aim for his head and then sometimes they basically beg for life Smiley Tongue Nothing beats the brick pummel tho XD

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 19 (1,693 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
570 posts

Jun 24, 2013

The brick pummel was so toned down from the earlier demo last year... It feels so weak.

I've had people beg for their lives lots of times. Also finished them off the hitting them with a shotgun a few times too.

Try to get some guy by himself, don't let him know your there. Make sure you don't have a melee weapon equipped. Equip your shotgun, run and hit him, you hit harder if you run into the hit than just walking up and hitting, when you run up and hit him with the shoutgun it should knock him down, he'll start begging, aim, and when you aim quickly press square and he'll finish him off by hitting him with the shotgun.  You don't have to knock him down the the gun either.

Whenever you get an enemy down and begging you aim and quickly press square.

Message 7 of 19 (1,681 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Jun 24, 2013

Banjo_aus wrote:

I was thinking that was "scripted" for the demo, sadly... is it actually possible? I was disappointed to never have it happen (ditto someone taking Ellie hostage) when I played; never had an enemy go down and beg. Heck, I could never even figure out how to melee someone with anythign aprat from fists or a melee weapon (no gun butts)... but I hear that's possible too, right?

Gonna have to try the suggestions in this thread to see if I can trigger it!

Everything you said is possible. Just play the game like Naughty Dog. Give the AI time to react to your actions. I am having so much fun with the enemy AI. I could even play cat and mouse with it.

Message 8 of 19 (1,676 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 24, 2013

Thanks for the awesome tips, folks!

I *really* wish they'd made some of this clearer in-game, as it would have made the earlier levels in particular a lot more fun!

I don't recall it even being mentioned in-game that you can melee someone with a brick (obviously found out you can by accident, but still).

Fascinated to hear about a "run and hit" being more forceful than just hitting; I assumed the one random time I did that (start of Pittsburgh) where a guy had Ellie and I ran over and attacked, and Joel did a bruital cinematic running kick was fully scripted... but does this mean you can pull that off regularly with the right moves?

Really wanting to try meleeing with a gun, too! I hate not having a "holster" button, and how the game auto-holsters my weapon after a set time, but I thought no matter what was equipped, Square meant "use melee weapon". No? You can NOT use one you're carrying and hit with a gun instead? Or do you have to not be carrying any melee weapon for it to work ("fists" only)?

EDIT: Say, what if you DON'T shoot when they beg? Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 19 (1,668 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
570 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 24, 2013

You can't carry a melee weapon, it will make Joel pull out the Melee weapon. The thing Joel did at the beginning of Pittsburgh is scripted, that happens every time. But for example, if you're walking up to an enemy and hit him with a pipe it will take a few hits, but if you run up to him, especially if he doesn't know you're there you can finish him with one hard hit. 

If they beg and you don't finish them off they will charge you. It's also possible to get the last man standing to hide and say I give up, let's just quit this. I went in to see what he was doing and he killed me with a shotgun though Smiley Sad Tricked me.

Message 10 of 19 (1,659 Views)