Search instead for 
Do you mean 
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Re: Hw do I do a gun finisher?

Jun 24, 2013

Banjo_aus wrote:

Thanks for the awesome tips, folks!

I *really* wish they'd made some of this clearer in-game, as it would have made the earlier levels in particular a lot more fun!

I don't recall it even being mentioned in-game that you can melee someone with a brick (obviously found out you can by accident, but still).

Fascinated to hear about a "run and hit" being more forceful than just hitting; I assumed the one random time I did that (start of Pittsburgh) where a guy had Ellie and I ran over and attacked, and Joel did a bruital cinematic running kick was fully scripted... but does this mean you can pull that off regularly with the right moves?

Really wanting to try meleeing with a gun, too! I hate not having a "holster" button, and how the game auto-holsters my weapon after a set time, but I thought no matter what was equipped, Square meant "use melee weapon". No? You can NOT use one you're carrying and hit with a gun instead? Or do you have to not be carrying any melee weapon for it to work ("fists" only)?

EDIT: Say, what if you DON'T shoot when they beg? :smileyhappy:

I made a guy beg for mercy and I turned back 180 degree. And he stood up and shouted mother f*cker and tried to murder me, but Ellie stunned him with a brick and I finished him off.

Message 11 of 19 (166 Views)
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

Jun 25, 2013

JOSH55886 wrote:

You can't carry a melee weapon, it will make Joel pull out the Melee weapon. The thing Joel did at the beginning of Pittsburgh is scripted, that happens every time. But for example, if you're walking up to an enemy and hit him with a pipe it will take a few hits, but if you run up to him, especially if he doesn't know you're there you can finish him with one hard hit. 

That answers my questions and confirms why I had trouble doing all this; I nearly always have a melee weapon in my inventory! What a shame they force you to use it rather than simply give you a button to "draw" it first, like for guns, bricks/bottles, bombs, etc.

It seems that half the time this game takes a refreshingly realistic approach (inventory access in 'real time' with the backpack, having to have 'holsters' to quick-select guns, etc.) yet other times it's really "arcade-y" with things like pulling a brick out of your pants (!), no way to holster or keep drawn a gun, or how melee weapons are just a single button-press action. A shame, as it makes things a bit of a mess when going fully 'real' would have fitted more (no "quick melee" with a melee weapon would mean having to draw it first, or else Square hits with your fists or weaker gun butt if you've drawn your gun).

Message 12 of 19 (140 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 25, 2013

There is a way i have done it many times.

When you fight a guy mano a mano, beat him until he is down and weak then before the knock down beat aim a pistol or  any weapon you wanna blow him up and he'll start talking 'bout mercy and sorry and other BS and then do a gun finisher.

Careful: don't wait him till he gets on his knee or he will make a quick attack on you.

Don't do it if there is more than 1 enemy around you, or they beat you from behind/side or shot you ...

Do it if you are in a great mood.

Message 13 of 19 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Jun 25, 2013
Has anyone ever had the AI COMPLETELY dodge a 'Sprint-Into-Melee' move? The first time it happened to me I was super shocked.

I shot at this guy, and he staggered and ran away into another room, so his buddy was alone. So I bring out my pipe, and full on Sprint at the guy and take a massive swing and he ducks and weaves out of the way and my Joel is left hitting nothing but air.

The guy then punches me to the ground, and the guy who ran away comes from behind me and pins me and the goon I tried to hit with the Pipe starts wailing away at me.

One of the cooler scenarios I've witnessed, but I was so surprised. I wasn't expecting a full dodge like that cause it hadn't happened before. Usually only when I'm fist fighting a guy.
Message 14 of 19 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
562 posts

Jun 25, 2013

Hasn't happened to me. I replay the E3 area a lot though to try different things.

Message 15 of 19 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Jun 25, 2013
It was pretty awesome. What cool stuff have you seen the AI do?
Message 16 of 19 (112 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 25, 2013

rasendory10 wrote:
It was pretty awesome. What cool stuff have you seen the AI do?

There was this one moment where the enemy AI saw me choking out his buddy. And I quickly pointed my pistol at him. And he said "Oh sh!t he got a gun" and stumbled when he was trying to take cover.

Message 17 of 19 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

Jun 25, 2013

Just retried tha start of Pittsburgh to mess around, and managed to figure out long gun melee attacks, get a guy at gunpoiint to beg/back off, and how to do a running strike. Awesome, and a REAL shame none of this is ever explained in-game! I wonder how many casual players will never see some of the work put into the AI for this game? :smileysad:

Message 18 of 19 (91 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Jun 25, 2013

Banjo_aus wrote:

Just retried tha start of Pittsburgh to mess around, and managed to figure out long gun melee attacks, get a guy at gunpoiint to beg/back off, and how to do a running strike. Awesome, and a REAL shame none of this is ever explained in-game! I wonder how many casual players will never see some of the work put into the AI for this game? :smileysad:

Like I said give the AI time to react. Sometimes the last guy will try to trick you into surrendering. And when you get close to him, he will blast you with whatever he has. There is even more.

Message 19 of 19 (85 Views)
0 Likes