Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 24 2013
By: luigi1002 Hekseville Citizen 258 posts

Hygiene

14 replies 311 views Edited Jan 24, 2013

This issue is never adressed in games since it's practically assumed that out of gameplay and cutscenes characters take care of their hygiene. You can't really take the time to brush your teeth or something when you're being chased by clickers, though. Floss is more useful to choke out a hunter than to use it and get killed by someone else. Hell, even drinking water is important with this, it's not like you can go to the sink and be all "That's some bad tap water.*drinks tap water*" or go to the fridge and get a water bottle. So how do the characters keep up hygiene? Will this even be adressed in the game?

Adding simple little tid-bits like "Oh, hey, Ellie! I found some toothpaste! Remember that? I've had a toothache ever since *insert random date here*!" 'Cause you probably will get a toothache after not brushing for twenty years. I seriouslly just thought of this and can't get it out of my mind. Do they still get hygiene from the military in 'the zones'? And what about showers? You think Ellie is ever going to say to Joel "Man, we smell like 'manuer'." Obviouslly not those exact words, but you still get my point.

Now I know you're probably thinking "This is pointless, Luigi1002." or you're thinking "You know what, that is a valid point you've got there, Luigi1002." But, yeah, just putting that out there for discussion. Give us a little thing to talk about while we wait for the demo.

Last Of Us GOTY
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 15 (311 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
322 posts

Re: Hygiene

Jan 25, 2013
TBH, I don't think hygiene is on their list of priorities. You have to assume that they don't have access to running water- I guess people would be used to the smell after 20 years
 photo 492afe7a-5d47-473d-9476-3a8036a31d5b_zps4955703f.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 15 (305 Views)
Fender Bender
4328 posts

Jan 25, 2013
Hold up. I gotta make a tampon run for Ellie.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 15 (299 Views)
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Jan 25, 2013

Well there are plenty of ways to get fresh water out of, for instance, salt water from the ocean, and there are equal ways to get fresh and purer water from river or stream water (sand/charcol filters and boiling ect). I'm sure that in the zones these survivalist mechanics have been implemented to not only give residents water to drink but also water to bathe in, though nothing in surplus and it's likely an occasional thing instead of daily. Who knows. I've thought about this a lot actually lol.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 15 (289 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Host
8526 posts

Jan 25, 2013

dh0rmazine wrote:

Well there are plenty of ways to get fresh water out of, for instance, salt water from the ocean, and there are equal ways to get fresh and purer water from river or stream water (sand/charcol filters and boiling ect). I'm sure that in the zones these survivalist mechanics have been implemented to not only give residents water to drink but also water to bathe in, though nothing in surplus and it's likely an occasional thing instead of daily. Who knows. I've thought about this a lot actually lol.

Maybe they'll find a desalination plant

NASWIPP.png

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 15 (281 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Jan 25, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:

dh0rmazine wrote:

Maybe they'll find a desalination plant

Yeah, in fact that seems like a must for any large scale post pandemic society, and "The Zone" definitely appears to be large scale, for the most part.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ellie makes funny remarks about not having a shower/bath for so long while in the campaign.

"Finally, some good news. Now if only we smelled like good news." lol.

*sees bath/shower in abandoned house/room* "Hey Joel, think the water still works? Looks like ya could use a shower"

:smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 15 (278 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7102 posts

Jan 25, 2013

There must be a gun factory somewhere, too. I mean, if there wasn't, they would have run out of guns and ammo 10 years ago. I'm guessing they're rare because these factories are managed by what's left of the army, and they guard them, so only a little amount gets out.

fadi002's Signature - The Last Of Us

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 15 (274 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
258 posts

Jan 25, 2013

Sub-Xero wrote:
Hold up. I gotta make a tampon run for Ellie.

Straight up choked on my water.

Last Of Us GOTY
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 15 (269 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
258 posts

Jan 25, 2013

New thought, what about the bathroom? That is an interesting thing to think about. How do 'the zones' work out taking dumps? Is there some sort of outhouse contraption where everyone's in a line waiting to get in a 'do some business'? Then once a week they take it all out. And what about pets? Do people still have pets or did they force the pets out into the world to fend for themselves? And if so, would you fight stray cats and dogs? Because I'd imagine in one level you'd go out in the wilderness to find food or hunt around a town. (Unless that's in cutscenes) The strays would be out there for the pickens.

Last Of Us GOTY
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 15 (263 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 25, 2013

luigi1002 wrote:

New thought, what about the bathroom? That is an interesting thing to think about. How do 'the zones' work out taking dumps? Is there some sort of outhouse contraption where everyone's in a line waiting to get in a 'do some business'? Then once a week they take it all out. And what about pets? Do people still have pets or did they force the pets out into the world to fend for themselves? And if so, would you fight stray cats and dogs? Because I'd imagine in one level you'd go out in the wilderness to find food or hunt around a town. (Unless that's in cutscenes) The strays would be out there for the pickens.

lol. It's a possibility that human waste is recycled as fertilizer for growing food, but I kind of doubt that they would go into detail about that much, if at all. Maybe at the beginning of the game, you can wander around The Zone and read signs put up around, to learn about protocalls and how life is. I think that'd be pretty sweet.

As for the animals, who knows. At comic con it was confirmed that the reason they chose to not have infected animals was so that "Ellie would have something pretty to look at" - I'd imagine they're talking about horses, deer, ect. I dunno about dogs. It'd be cool if you fought dogs/wolf packs in the wild maybe.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 15 (256 Views)
0 Likes