Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Treasure Hunter
7102 posts

Re: Hygiene

Jan 25, 2013

luigi1002 wrote:

New thought, what about the bathroom? That is an interesting thing to think about. How do 'the zones' work out taking dumps? Is there some sort of outhouse contraption where everyone's in a line waiting to get in a 'do some business'? Then once a week they take it all out. And what about pets? Do people still have pets or did they force the pets out into the world to fend for themselves? And if so, would you fight stray cats and dogs? Because I'd imagine in one level you'd go out in the wilderness to find food or hunt around a town. (Unless that's in cutscenes) The strays would be out there for the pickens.

I would assume they would just do it outside in random places...

fadi002's Signature - The Last Of Us

Message 11 of 15 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2480 posts

Jan 27, 2013

luigi1002 wrote:

This issue is never adressed in games since it's practically assumed that out of gameplay and cutscenes characters take care of their hygiene. You can't really take the time to brush your teeth or something when you're being chased by clickers, though. Floss is more useful to choke out a hunter than to use it and get killed by someone else. Hell, even drinking water is important with this, it's not like you can go to the sink and be all "That's some bad tap water.*drinks tap water*" or go to the fridge and get a water bottle. So how do the characters keep up hygiene? Will this even be adressed in the game?

Adding simple little tid-bits like "Oh, hey, Ellie! I found some toothpaste! Remember that? I've had a toothache ever since *insert random date here*!" 'Cause you probably will get a toothache after not brushing for twenty years. I seriouslly just thought of this and can't get it out of my mind. Do they still get hygiene from the military in 'the zones'? And what about showers? You think Ellie is ever going to say to Joel "Man, we smell like 'manuer'." Obviouslly not those exact words, but you still get my point.

Now I know you're probably thinking "This is pointless, Luigi1002." or you're thinking "You know what, that is a valid point you've got there, Luigi1002." But, yeah, just putting that out there for discussion. Give us a little thing to talk about while we wait for the demo.

What bugs me more than toothache and showers is how they're not all sick or dead from sickness. The Zones don't really seem all that clean and the outside of the zones don't seem clean at all either. If there's blood splattered up the walls, the ground and you're surrounded by blood and gore, you wouldn't just keep being healthy and fine, no you would get very ill.
So I'd like to see how the game addresses that.

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Message 12 of 15 (126 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
868 posts

Jan 27, 2013

stentryk wrote:

luigi1002 wrote:

This issue is never adressed in games since it's practically assumed that out of gameplay and cutscenes characters take care of their hygiene. You can't really take the time to brush your teeth or something when you're being chased by clickers, though. Floss is more useful to choke out a hunter than to use it and get killed by someone else. Hell, even drinking water is important with this, it's not like you can go to the sink and be all "That's some bad tap water.*drinks tap water*" or go to the fridge and get a water bottle. So how do the characters keep up hygiene? Will this even be adressed in the game?

Adding simple little tid-bits like "Oh, hey, Ellie! I found some toothpaste! Remember that? I've had a toothache ever since *insert random date here*!" 'Cause you probably will get a toothache after not brushing for twenty years. I seriouslly just thought of this and can't get it out of my mind. Do they still get hygiene from the military in 'the zones'? And what about showers? You think Ellie is ever going to say to Joel "Man, we smell like 'manuer'." Obviouslly not those exact words, but you still get my point.

Now I know you're probably thinking "This is pointless, Luigi1002." or you're thinking "You know what, that is a valid point you've got there, Luigi1002." But, yeah, just putting that out there for discussion. Give us a little thing to talk about while we wait for the demo.

What bugs me more than toothache and showers is how they're not all sick or dead from sickness. The Zones don't really seem all that clean and the outside of the zones don't seem clean at all either. If there's blood splattered up the walls, the ground and you're surrounded by blood and gore, you wouldn't just keep being healthy and fine, no you would get very ill.

I don't think that will play a role in the game. lol. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 13 of 15 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Jan 27, 2013

stentryk wrote:

luigi1002 wrote:

What do you mean? I don't think anyone lives around decomposing bodies contantly or anything like that. "The Zone" would likely have protocalls on what to do with infected (shoot on sight) and then either bury them out of Zone limits or incinerate them. I'm sure they've kept a sanitary enough environment in order that sickness doesn't spread to any dangerous degree. I'm sure the hunters do this with their "packs" as well, as these things tend to end up being survival instinct in human groups.

Message 14 of 15 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
604 posts

Jan 28, 2013

Can't say it'll be any priority implementing things like this but a reference to their most likely unpleasant aroma would make sense. Ellie does say "Ugh, I hate soggy socks" in the extended gameplay footage. It's a start, right?

Message 15 of 15 (90 Views)
0 Likes