Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Wastelander
710 posts

Re: I cried and I am not ashamed

Sep 8, 2013
I didn't cry the entire game but when I was a little sad when Henry shot himself. The game actually disturbed me a bit though from the inside when Ellie killed David. I mean she just kept swinging and every swing on David's face disturbed me more and more although I understand why she did it.
Message 31 of 58 (280 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

Sep 8, 2013
EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER.
Message 32 of 58 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
329 posts

Sep 8, 2013
I didn't want to kill sniper wolf :/
Message 33 of 58 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
229 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 8, 2013

I'm not really the crying type of guy but that doesn't mean I didn't feel anything when playing this game. In fact I'd go so far as to say that no other game has had such a deep emotional affect on me.

Many a time during my playthrough I lay in bed at night thinking about the characters and the choices that they had to make and the ending was running around my head for days afterwards. These things arn't meant to happen with a game. I'm also sure people on these boards will understand what I mean when I say that while playing this game you actually feel the same emotions that the characters are going through. It really is the gaming definition of an emotional rollercoaster. 

The bit that stands out the most for me though was

Spoiler
at the dam where Joel coldly tries to get rid of Ellie by handing her over to his brother. I actually went to bed after playing that part a bit down and angry at Joel for treating her like that after all they had gone through.

This just goes to show how emotionally involved you get with the characters in this game and I havn't played a game where I've wanted the charaters to succeed so much.

Message 34 of 58 (258 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 8, 2013

Here are those links I promised. :smileywink:

This is a collection of songs not included in the OST. 

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4aswHqXW8vepPyPWCElFsYYZXduMGY5x

A single piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsTUxbP5_IQ&list=FLOpgmLVc1BLAs7faRYSyrig&index=39

Enjoy. Make sure you have tissues.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" Man...I shot the hell outta that guy, huh? " - Ellie (The Last of Us)

Message 35 of 58 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

Sep 8, 2013

no1_narwhal_fan wrote:

I'm not really the crying type of guy but that doesn't mean I didn't feel anything when playing this game. In fact I'd go so far as to say that no other game has had such a deep emotional affect on me.

Many a time during my playthrough I lay in bed at night thinking about the characters and the choices that they had to make and the ending was running around my head for days afterwards. These things arn't meant to happen with a game. I'm also sure people on these boards will understand what I mean when I say that while playing this game you actually feel the same emotions that the characters are going through. It really is the gaming definition of an emotional rollercoaster. 

The bit that stands out the most for me though was

Spoiler
at the dam where Joel coldly tries to get rid of Ellie by handing her over to his brother. I actually went to bed after playing that part a bit down and angry at Joel for treating her like that after all they had gone through.

This just goes to show how emotionally involved you get with the characters in this game and I havn't played a game where I've wanted the charaters to succeed so much.

To the spoiler tag - yes, exatctly.

That is the scene which still buggs me a bit, even today.

I think they went a bit overboard there.

Ellie did not deserve that :/ She was just honest.

If I were Joel, I'd probably do the opposite, or hug her to death :]

Message 36 of 58 (250 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

Sep 18, 2013

shyINnoVation wrote:

Here are those links I promised. :smileywink:

This is a collection of songs not included in the OST. 

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4aswHqXW8vepPyPWCElFsYYZXduMGY5x

A single piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsTUxbP5_IQ&list=FLOpgmLVc1BLAs7faRYSyrig&index=39

Enjoy. Make sure you have tissues.

Thanks mate :]

Message 37 of 58 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
53 posts

Sep 27, 2013

The opening of the game half killed me.  Sarah's death was probably the most emotional thing I've experienced in a video game. But the entire game is emotionally draining. Every death had an impact on me and the scene with Joel and Ellie in the farmhouse got to me as well. They really nailed the characters in this game. It is my all time favourite game, no other game comes close.

Message 38 of 58 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

Sep 27, 2013
Farmhouse - overkill. Made me hate Joel :/
Message 39 of 58 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Sep 27, 2013

To anybody who hates Joel because of the Ranch House scene -

You are not being fair.  Hating him means that you did not attempt to look at the world through his eyes.  We all fell in love with Ellie, but that doesn't make the game a one-sided device.  Joel lost his daughter, who Ellie reminds him of very much.  He is unable to deal with the sorrow that is building inside him by being around her.  To deal with the trauma that is Sarah's death, and to survive protecting his brother afterward, Joel buried those feelings away.  He couldn't confront them not because he is a bad person who should be hated.  He is weak, the same as we all are, the same as we all have weaknesses.

I felt extremely sorry for Joel because I knew he was not equipped emotionally to handle all that he was feeling.  I don't know if anyone else has ever ran from their emotions completely as Joel has, but it can tear you down in short time.  Your personality changes, as does the world around you.  Joel has been dealing with that for twenty years, and in a world in which just about everything seems to want to kill him.  Joel had been thinking of Ellie as Sarah, without an ability to differentiate between the two.  I don't yet have children, but I can't even imagine who I would be if a child was taken from me.  I sincerely doubt I would have treated Ellie any differently, or better, while wearing Joel's shoes.

And neither would have any of you.  It's easy to say how our relationship with Ellie would have developed as a gamer looking in.  Stop and truly think about being forty nine years old, going on fifty, and how you have spent the last twenty years furious with the world that took your daughter.  I would be cursing the sun every day, and would hate all other people.

All I'm saying is, give Joel some credit and a chance to heal.  Ellie is the first person who allowed Joel to feel comfort, or to feel at all after two decades.  She is tuned in to him, thankfully for them both, and realizes that Joel is not treating her as a separate person.  Joel comes around fairly quickly and should earn our love despite the Ranch House scene.

Message 40 of 58 (148 Views)