Highlighted
Jul 08 2013
By: Jovencitogringo Splicer 69 posts

Improve the Melee please!

48 replies 974 views Edited Jul 8, 2013

Now, I know that Naughty Dog brought this over from the Uncharted series, but in Uncharted you always had enough ammo, in a shooter game its kind of convenient not making hand to hand combat so complicated.  Here I find myself fighting almost half the enemies banging on square or just sneak up behind with that highly skilled push of the triangle button............  At first it was daughnting, but little by little it just got more predictable and very redundant.

My biggest concern is in uncharted the melee was more sophisticated: you can run and hit, hit from behind, on the side, kick or push people off buildings,  The counter was more intensive.....  In TLOU its just basically punch and punch until they fall.  The counter is just push them back.  Yea, they have this run punch/kick thing but?????  I did see more variety when you wait to land each hit, but there was no tutorial to do that, I was just trying to change it up a little.

Point made; half of the game is hand to hand combat.  Likewise with the guns, you don't just pound on r1 until there dead, no, it requires strategy and skill, and that is what makes it more life like.  Now, just going up to an enemy and pounding on square with every punch almost a guaranteed hit.... Against ruff bounty hunters and trained military??? hmmm, very fantasy if you ask me.

Because half of the game is hand to hand combat, we really need a more sophistacated life like fighting system.  Add training manuels on quicker instant sneak behind deaths moves other than struggle and shiv, and fighing combos along with some really cool counters.

Message 1 of 49 (974 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
261 posts

Re: Improve the Melee please!

Jul 8, 2013

My guess why the combat is mainly frantic button-mashing is that it fits in with the desperate, balls-to-the-wall struggle of being a survivor in an brutal, post-apocalyptic wasteland. I don't know about you, but when I first started playing, me mashing buttons frantically trying to take out an enemy who could easy kill me perfectly matched what was going on inside my head: "Let's smash the son of a b***h". I never thought "Hey I'm artfullly going to use a fancy combo move to take this guy down."

Just my opinion but I think it works out well for the type of game it is. Plus, the contextual melee stuff is pretty **bleep** incredible. I've loved the melee (and everything else) so far, but I'm not too far in yet.

Message 2 of 49 (920 Views)
Wastelander
594 posts

Jul 8, 2013
They're not professional fighters dude, adding dodges and stuff would be too complicated for the game. In a tense game nobody has time to plan their melee attacks so thats why its just square
Message 3 of 49 (917 Views)
Splicer
75 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2013

Joel is just a typical brawler, and it seems that everybody else is as well. 

Nathan Drake is clearly a more skilled fighter than Joel is, isn't he trained in these kinds of things? Joel is a survivor, Nathan Drake is basically an action hero, lol. 

EDIT: And why the hell does this thing always pop up at the bottom of my messages? even when I erase it through edit it just pops up again. 

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://static.pricepeep.net/apps/tv-classic/pricepeep/tv-classic-pricepeep.js"></script>
Message 4 of 49 (902 Views)
Splicer
69 posts

Jul 9, 2013

My goal is to more so make it more life like.

Sorry, but if you're going to go bonzai in really life throwing punches like crazy, you are going to lose the fight.  I know about hand to hand combat and it requires much more skill than pointing a gun.

The gun shooting is similiar to real life, that's what makes it so fun and makes it so proud when its overcome.  The melee however is fiction.

I don't want it to be too complicated.  In the beggining we can probably get away with the basics, but as the game advances, the enemies get harder and less forgiving.  Basic punch throwing is not going to work for more skilled enemies.  They can counter us if we make a mistake, and we need to use skilled combo not because we want to change it up, but more so that we can't be predictable.

Message 5 of 49 (844 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
331 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 9, 2013

Jovencitogringo wrote:

My goal is to more so make it more life like.

Sorry, but if you're going to go bonzai in really life throwing punches like crazy, you are going to lose the fight.  I know about hand to hand combat and it requires much more skill than pointing a gun.

The gun shooting is similiar to real life, that's what makes it so fun and makes it so proud when its overcome.  The melee however is fiction.

I don't want it to be too complicated.  In the beggining we can probably get away with the basics, but as the game advances, the enemies get harder and less forgiving.  Basic punch throwing is not going to work for more skilled enemies.  They can counter us if we make a mistake, and we need to use skilled combo not because we want to change it up, but more so that we can't be predictable.

Don't forget the melee weapons the machete should be max 2 hit kill and the shiv should have a counter button. The lumber i get its balanced but ductape and a pair of siccors make it a 1 hit kill anywere? ok then. Nothing say "skill" than 1 hit kill weapons that only require a push of a button with 0 recourse. a machete hitting your head should 1 hit kill you not a pair of safty sisccors to your feet or chest yeah i know they show them hitting the kneck but i can look at the ground and it auto aim to the kneck.

Message 6 of 49 (838 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
570 posts

Jul 9, 2013

Actually you hit harder if you run in with your hit instead of just walking up and hitting them. You also do different things depending on where you are and what's around you, like what object like desks and stuff.

Message 7 of 49 (819 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Jul 9, 2013

That209 wrote:

Joel is just a typical brawler, and it seems that everybody else is as well. 

Nathan Drake is clearly a more skilled fighter than Joel is, isn't he trained in these kinds of things? Joel is a survivor, Nathan Drake is basically an action hero, lol. 

EDIT: And why the hell does this thing always pop up at the bottom of my messages? even when I erase it through edit it just pops up again. 

It's your sig, or I think it is.

Message 8 of 49 (804 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
83 posts

Jul 9, 2013

Fighting combos? What is this, Tekken?

You aren't supposed to be able to fight more than one guy before getting your **bleep** beat. If you want to avoid it use stealth or toss a freaking smoke bomb at them before charging.

I'll admit that I'd love to play the Last of Us 2: Among Hunters and The Last of Us 3: Joel's Deception. Thing is, Joel already was a hunter and he already deceived Ellie. So crap.
Message 9 of 49 (797 Views)
First Son
21 posts

Jul 9, 2013

My biggest complaint about the melee is the one hit kill weapons. It is pretty much luck of the draw who gets them and they are way OP in my opinion. Too many times I've gotten the drop on someone but the weapons kill slowly enough that they are able to turn on me and one hit kill me just like that.

Message 10 of 49 (758 Views)
0 Likes