Wastelander
594 posts

Re: Improve the Melee please!

Jul 14, 2013
This isnt a first person shooter, and while some people do say that the game is perfect, others say it is fine and actually list reasons.

I think I've said this before, but theres no time to plan your melee attacks when melee alerts everyone in the room. They'll all come rushing to you fighting this one guy and wasting your time. The whole point of just square is to make your melee attacks fast and quick so you actually might have time to finish them off and run away.

I can see adding kicks or something in a sequel. What I really think they will add in the sequel is circle for grabs and throws/pushes and armored melee enemies, but thats about it really. Anything else and you lose the sense of urgency in the melee and you have to plan your strategy, which does not make sense for this type of game.
Message 41 of 49 (147 Views)
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Jul 14, 2013

luctiger98 wrote:
This isnt a first person shooter, and while some people do say that the game is perfect, others say it is fine and actually list reasons.

I think I've said this before, but theres no time to plan your melee attacks when melee alerts everyone in the room. They'll all come rushing to you fighting this one guy and wasting your time. The whole point of just square is to make your melee attacks fast and quick so you actually might have time to finish them off and run away.

I can see adding kicks or something in a sequel. What I really think they will add in the sequel is circle for grabs and throws/pushes and armored melee enemies, but thats about it really. Anything else and you lose the sense of urgency in the melee and you have to plan your strategy, which does not make sense for this type of game.

There we go. You just put it perfectly.

Message 42 of 49 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
261 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 14, 2013

Jovencitogringo wrote:

TCH 2296 wrote:  If you wouldn't mind, could you give me an example of a combat mechanic you would've like to have seen implemented in TLoU?

It all depends on the situation.  If an infected is running right at you, you duck just at the precise time, you can perform a trip and send them face first to the ground.  If they are light, even catapult them and send them flying.  Even more cool, in mid air your partner shoots them.

The six axis would make it really life like.  We can tilt the controller to make a quick dodge, opening the opponent for critical blows.  Also, I would much rather use the six axis to out struggle, instead of banging on square.  But let more so be a matter of skill; like pushing an opponent back until he pushes back, then using his own force to smash him into the environment or trip him.

All punches, attacks are not guaranteed hits.  Not making it impossible, just want to train the player to not bang on square.  TAlso, by doing this, even more options will pop up for different moves. Such as square and triangle together to perform a grab and flip (six axis circle), after, perform a quick finishing move, or run for it while he's stunned longer because of flip.

With the dive with R2, I was thinking that if we press r1, we can aim our gun in mid air.  Yes, it will put it in slight slow motion, but we can gun an enemy between two posts and land again in safety.

And if we run and push X, we can perform a slide.  Depending on the environment is how much we can slide.  But likewise, same thing, slide and shoot in slow mo.

With all due respect, I think your posts demonstrate why you want more complex controls; you should be playing Sleeping Dogs, or a hardcore action shooter. I've boldened and italicized the elements that, to me, seem like they DEFINITELY do not belong in a game like TLoU. TLoU isn't a game for kung-fu slides, diving through the air while aiming your gun in mid air? Really? And somehow "tripping" the infected, and having your partner shoot them in mid-air? Is your partner Steven Seagal?

I think those are all cool ideas for a hardcore action game (maybe the next Max Payne), but even having those types of moves would totally detract from the dark, realistic experience Naughy Dog is aiming for.

Aside from that, whoever posted above me (a couple posts up) made some excellent points; you are NOT going to be able to plan out any of these fancy Matrix-style moves while being rushed by creatures that can kill you in ONE hit! If you had to worry about all those complex controls you'd your jugular ripped out real quick.

All cool ideas, mind you, I would just say TLoU probably isn't the best place for them.

Message 43 of 49 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
69 posts

Jul 15, 2013

I really think this boils down to the difference in player abilities; which go anywhere from earth to outer space.  You'd be very surprised, but there are some players out there that are so good and ingenious that they would even take Jimmy Woods The Wizard (Luke Edwards) to school.

Those type of people would like a more complex Melee, and no, they will reall not have to plan anything, it will be stored in their brain bank right away, and will keep wanting more.

When I play, (and i"m not even no genious).  I analyze the whole enemy scene.  Sometimes I just do a scouting mission which leads to a short death just to find out where everybody is.  From there, I plan something (to me that's ingenious).  Which is usually take out the exterior guys, and then there's usually three guys that come together and spead out.  Do something to get them back together again, and smite them with a fire bomb.

This is pretty much just one example, but unfortunately, with the gameplay being so straightforward and simple, that pretty much it.

The compromise is the difficulty settings.  If it gets too complicated, you can always play a lower difficulty.  Without a complex system that requiers downright gamer talent, there really isn't much difference between difficult and easy, other than less ammo.  But with a complex system, on difficult, the best gamers would be challenged so much that it will take them a week to beat it for the first time, wheras the novices can play easy and get handicapped in the complex system and still beat it without getting frustrated.

I trully believe that if difficult were really challenging to the very best players, all novices would not even think about playing difficult.  And easy would be so boring to the best players that they would not even touch it, considering it as a spoiler.

A complex system is only what going to make difficult what it really is, and handicaping it for truly easy compared to difficult.

PS

For those that belong to my generation.  Do you remember the Lawn Mower Man?  It's kind of funny to think that people used to think that video games will make us into super geniouses LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!.  If only they knew that games will become more like movies that will focus more on the fantacy of the story and the feel of being there, rather than chalenging all parts of the human brain to its maximim capacity.  I'm very sorry if I offend someone, but I think the new generation of games (don't get me wrong, there are exceptions) are not making us use a greater percentage or our entire brain.

Message 44 of 49 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
261 posts

Jul 15, 2013

Jovencitogringo wrote:

I really think this boils down to the difference in player abilities; which go anywhere from earth to outer space.  You'd be very surprised, but there are some players out there that are so good and ingenious that they would even take Jimmy Woods The Wizard (Luke Edwards) to school.

I don't really understand what this sentence means, but nonetheless it had me laughing pretty hard. Your writing style is interesting, where are you from?

Message 45 of 49 (112 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 15, 2013

That209 wrote:

Joel is just a typical brawler, and it seems that everybody else is as well. 

Nathan Drake is clearly a more skilled fighter than Joel is, isn't he trained in these kinds of things? Joel is a survivor, Nathan Drake is basically an action hero, lol. 

EDIT: And why the hell does this thing always pop up at the bottom of my messages? even when I erase it through edit it just pops up again. 

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://static.pricepeep.net/apps/tv-classic/pricepeep/tv-classic-pricepeep.js"></script>

Hey man.  Don't know if you figured this out or not.  But that pop-up is PricePeep. Basically "malware".  Here's a link to remove it.  Goodluck: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-price-peep-virus/

Message 46 of 49 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
69 posts

Jul 16, 2013

tch2296 wrote:
I don't really understand what this sentence means, but nonetheless it had me laughing pretty hard. Your writing style is interesting, where are you from?

The Wizard is a movie released in 1989 staring Fred Savage and the now famous Luke Edwards.  It was bent the on video game craze that happeed when the first Nintendo came out.  Jimmy was like the fictional best video game player in the world.

What I said was just a correlation.  LIke saying: "So ingeneous that even Macgyver/Dr. House would be left clueless".

I'm from Chicago, but that's just my accent.  My writting style most likely comes from the fact that I read allot.  My correlations come from living 33 years: a much different generation than the majority of chatters here.

Message 47 of 49 (90 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Jul 24, 2013

I would really like them to patch the melee. More than a handful of times I've hit someone with a 2x4 with scissors and... wait for it...FREAKING NOTHING! THEY DOWN ME WITH 3 TO4 PUCNCHES OR SHOT ME! Please patch this!

Message 48 of 49 (77 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

Jul 24, 2013

This thread is still going. Wow.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 49 of 49 (64 Views)
0 Likes