Jun 21 2013
By: Thorn-2010 Lombax Warrior 99 posts

Is this the most emotionally draining game ever released? In a good way :)

23 replies 1752 views Edited Jun 21, 2013

Without going ito spoilers even though I would love to,   ND have managed to completely ingulf not only your interest as a gamer, but also your emotions, both happy and sad,   I am not ashamed to say that there are certain moments of the SP campaign that made tears run down my cheeks... I have never had this sort of reaction to any game as far as I can remember and I have been gaming since the early 80's!

Alot of this immersion has to do with how fantastically well all the Charachters are created, along with all the side charachters that come and go, Joel and Ellie are SO well developed and realised that you just CAN'T wait to see what is going to happen in the next moment, so you just HAVE to keep on playing!    The memorable voice and face acting help alot with this immersion, but also the fantastic dialogue helps too,   if this game was a movie it would be 5 Stars, I am nearly at the end of my first playthrough and it won't be long before I do my second on a harder difficulty !  

Also, they have got the moments of 'Confrontations' and lighter moments and moods spot on, there are some moments in the game when at every turn there seems to be death and killing of both infected and hunters, and just when you are about to go into a deep dispair and worry for your poor beloved Joel and Ellie, a lighter moment of dialogue or a cleverily scripted event will occur to raise your spirits up!   It gives you- the gamer, a chance to take a deep breath and continue onwards!

Thanks Naughty Dog, Please don't let this be the end of 'The last of us' along with DLC please make at least a sequel, the world you have created and the way you have lovingly achieved it is just too good to be left at one installment!   :smileyhappy:

I know ND have stated this is the end of Joel and Ellies story but surely they can find a way to bring them back in especially when Ellie is older I believe there is much more storyline that could be developed? Smiley Happy   The Last of us 2 on the PS4... would love to see that !  

Message 1 of 24 (1,752 Views)
Sackboy
544 posts

Re: Is this the most emotionally draining game ever released? In a good way :)

Jun 21, 2013

Totally agree with you man, the variety is great, the story is extremely well-written and overall it is an experience you will never forget Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 24 (1,694 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
96 posts

Jun 21, 2013
Yes this game is very emotional. Although I wouldn't call it the most emotional game EVER.
Message 3 of 24 (1,690 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Jun 21, 2013
I will say, that after having beaten the game, I felt very exhausted. I found myself drudging backward in my mind everything that that journey had required of both Joel and Ellie. I went through the deaths. the desperation, the Agony. All of it.

Very heavy. Exhausting. Yes.
Message 4 of 24 (1,682 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
99 posts

Jun 22, 2013

Im the same, I often set there at night in bed thinking about why certain decisions were made, and how I view each character and why!   You can understand why Joel and Ellie are they way they are but that doesn't always make it easy!

Message 5 of 24 (1,571 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
428 posts

Jun 22, 2013

YaBoiobZ wrote:
Yes this game is very emotional. Although I wouldn't call it the most emotional game EVER.

Yes. That would ne Heavy Rain.

TLOU Infected Signature photo infectedsignature2_zps03d0c45d.png
Message 6 of 24 (1,565 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
99 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 22, 2013

Yeah Heavy Rain was an incredible game don't get me wrong, but for me TLOU is just as emotionally draining if not more, its certain scenes that make me feel this way that often made me stop and stare and the occasional tear would run down my cheek.  For example, does anyone remember the community in the Sewers?   How one man started off building a fortress of sorts there, then you find notes explaining that he might as well go get the people he ran into and traded with, and bring them back to the safety of the Sewers so he would have someone to laugh at his terrible jokes?

As you move further into the Sewers you see signs of life and the toys that kids must have played with,  then you open the door on the left and in the corner is a Dead Man and next to him 3 or 4 deceased children covered in sheets with only their shoes showing?!!   I panned down and then saw scribbled on the ground 'They did not suffer'  ... well that was enough for me Smiley Sad     To think of these poor kids full of life and playing, then being put down before they became infected,  to see all the pictures and evidence of the fun the kids had in that room when everything was ok!   Then I ran into the makeshift class-room with Toys, blackboards, and bright colored blocks etc laid about.... this to me was one of the most powerful moments I have had in gaming, how a living-breathing community can be torn asunder, kids included, this made me very sad and very angry towards any infected I ran into from then on Smiley Sad  How could someone be so careless and leave a door open?

Its moments of this, brilliantly but so sadly implemented, that make this game my all time favourite, and also my most emotional.  

SPOILER BELOW :  ---------------------------------------------------   SPOILER BELOW:--------------------------------------------------------------

I just completed my first playthough and I must say I am with Joel on this one, I would have done the same thing and saved Ellie,  after-all there were no guarantee's even if they operated and removed Ellies Brain, that they would be able to produce a cure that works on all stages of the infection, besides that would take years!    Apart from that, like Joel, you become very attached to Ellie and you spend so much time looking after her and making sure she is safe, that it just seems ridiculous that you would allow Doctors 'experiment' on her!    I admit I did flinch when I had to kill the poor woman surgeon who cowered on the floor and cried 'I don't want to die', I would have let her live if the game allowed me to Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 24 (1,502 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 22, 2013

MORE SPOILERS

I only killed the first doctor who threatened you with a knife. You don't have to kill the other two...

Message 8 of 24 (1,487 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Jun 22, 2013

A-DemonSquirrel wrote:

MORE SPOILERS

I only killed the first doctor who threatened you with a knife. You don't have to kill the other two...

you can't stop

"If your choice is to save me over everybody else in the world then...ok. I trust you now and let’s live life.." ~TheVulcanSalute
Message 9 of 24 (1,476 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
421 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 22, 2013

Cimbom19855 wrote:

YaBoiobZ wrote:

Yes. That would ne Heavy Rain.

Heavy Rain was indeed very emotional, but for me The Last Of Us is even more emotional really. Some of Heavy Rain's voice acting were horrible and it ruined some of the story IMO. I'm looking at you Scott Shelby & Mad Jack.

TLoU is definitely the most emotional game I've ever played and one of the few that's actually been emotional from the games I've played. Complete list would probably be TLoU, Heavy Rain & the end of Arkham City's story probably.

Message 10 of 24 (1,457 Views)
0 Likes