I Only Post Everything
1166 posts

Re: Is this the most emotionally draining game ever released? In a good way :)

Jun 22, 2013

I just finished "Summer" last night and I feel like I just got kicked down the stairs, emotionally that is.  Too bad my spoiler paranoia doesn't allow me to talk about the experience.

When playing don't forget to keep an eye out for things written on the walls and other objects.  I've come accross a few that really creeped me out.

Everything about this game amazes me.  Really just travelling through the landscape is interesting enough without all the fighting. The details in this wrecked world get you at a personal level.  The thing is it's only wrecked for us, nature just goes on about it's business, not caring.  I know that I've just started, and I'm fearful to see what comes next.  I'm going to see Joel and Ellie through to the end. 

Photobucket
Message 11 of 24 (553 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 22, 2013

It's definitely up there. Although I would consider Silent Hill 2 as the most emotionally draining game for me. Silent Hill 2 drains you mostly by the in game horror and by the fact that the protagonist doesn't talk during gameplay, so it's more of a personal experience. Whereas in The Last Of Us, the emotional drainage relies more on looking at the story through the eyes and interaction of characters such as Joel and Ellie. I think there's more of an emotional disconnect when looking at a game from the angles of other characters. It just makes you feel more like a spectator to sum it in a few words. I think that the clickers would have been way more scarier if we were playing as a silent protagonist, but I understand that Naughty Dog didn't want to use such a narrative design. With all that being said, The Last Of Us is still very immersive and emotionally draining even for a game that doesn't allow you to experience the world from your own perspective. 

Message 12 of 24 (536 Views)
Lombax Warrior
99 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 25, 2013

DemonSquirrel wrote:

MORE SPOILERS

I only killed the first doctor who threatened you with a knife. You don't have to kill the other two...

Affff No? :smileysad: :smileysad: :smileysad:   I didn't know, I was so full of rage at that first doctor because he was about to chop up my poor Ellie that I went and killed the other male doctor automatically, when the third female doctor slumped on the floor and cried that she didnt want to die I looked for a way out, but didn't realise I could save Ellie without killing her first :smileysad:      On the lighter side I only gave her a boot to the head which I was hoping would only render her unconcious!

Message 13 of 24 (514 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 24, 2013

Telltale's The Walking Dead for me.

TLOU was a great game at times, and an AMAZING one at others, but although I liked some of the characters and really came to love Ellie (to the point of not wanting the game to end when Spring arrived!), I never felt THAT emotionally attached to anyone, at least not like I did Clem and Lee in TWD. For all that game's glitches, problems, terrible release handling and simplistic gameplay, the writing and performances had me in real tears by the end of the final chapter.

Second place is definitely Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2. Especially as I got the "bad endings" of both the first time and they're beautifully tragic. Silent Hill 2's plot revelations are devastating and among the most memorable in my gaming life.

Third place? Suikoden II. I just was *very* invested in the game and characters, so certain deaths and epic battles were very personal and affecting for me. Fighting Luca Blight is still one of my fondest experiences, and losing a certain character among the most upsetting.

Fourth? Final Fantasy VII. Most will know why. :smileysad:

By comparison, TLOU was certainly emotional (espeically Winter), but not heartbreakingly so. Perhaps it's the lack of player choice? That part with the doctors was the only time I felt like I even had one, and even then my hand was forced.

Heavy Rain had me engrossed until the big reveal which was such a "Wait, what?! That doesn't make sense!" moment (on par with the AI reveal in Farenheit!) that it turned me off the game!

Message 14 of 24 (503 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
95 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 24, 2013

Heavy Rain was sad but TLOU just hit me so much harder in the stomach. No game has ever occupied me for a week after beating it.
For me personally the best game I have played storywise.

Message 15 of 24 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
99 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 25, 2013

Yeah I finished TLOU around a week ago and keep thinking about it every day, its really a very powerful game, and ND definately achieved what they set out to do, you can thank their fantastic storyline writers for some of this, some game studios like Bethesda (I love them but storyline hasn't been their strongpoint)  could learn from them!    It's one thing to run around on an adventure, but TLOU never really felt like it was on rails to me even though it was obviously guiding you to go the right way!   Maybe part of this was because you could look around in most areas for supplies or extra's, no matter who you were following or who was following you at the time, they would always wait for you to explore each area before continuing onwards!     I am taking a deep breath and thinking about MP now, will go back eventually when I have recovered and play TLOU again through on Hard difficulty, at least I will be ready this time for the Sad parts of this incredible game :smileyhappy:

Message 16 of 24 (464 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jun 25, 2013

Loved the story tellingin Last of Us, and I Loved the Story in Mass Effect 3 (apart from the last 15 mins). I have to say that the acting by Ashley and Troy along with the Preformance Capture, and the rest of the work in realising the Graphics and Audio however raised this to a new level, that captured the emotions behind the story and made me care about the characters.

Message 17 of 24 (441 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 21, 2013

I know I'm 2 months late here but, how did you all have a conversation about the most emotionally draining game you ever played and nobody brought up ICO? or at least SotC? Odd...

Message 18 of 24 (312 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
302 posts

Aug 21, 2013

Omiem93 wrote:

It's definitely up there. Although I would consider Silent Hill 2 as the most emotionally draining game for me. Silent Hill 2 drains you mostly by the in game horror and by the fact that the protagonist doesn't talk during gameplay, so it's more of a personal experience. Whereas in The Last Of Us, the emotional drainage relies more on looking at the story through the eyes and interaction of characters such as Joel and Ellie. I think there's more of an emotional disconnect when looking at a game from the angles of other characters. It just makes you feel more like a spectator to sum it in a few words. I think that the clickers would have been way more scarier if we were playing as a silent protagonist, but I understand that Naughty Dog didn't want to use such a narrative design. With all that being said, The Last Of Us is still very immersive and emotionally draining even for a game that doesn't allow you to experience the world from your own perspective. 

I agree (loved Silent Hill 2!!). I also liked DeadSpace 1 more than 2 and 3, because of the argument you point out. It doesn't work for everyone I guess, but for me it does. 

TLOU Ellie Signature photo Snowysignature2_zps1e7a159e.png
Message 19 of 24 (307 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

Aug 22, 2013
The story of my life.
Message 20 of 24 (273 Views)
0 Likes