Feb 04 2013
By: tommy7154 Splicer 78 posts

Joels "ability"

[ Edited ]
11 replies 466 views Edited Feb 4, 2013

Please leave this ability in for a more casual difficulty setting and disable it for higher difficulties, or at the very least make it a toggle on/off option in the settings.

I frankly don't care either way but I'm sure some people will want to play it mainly for the story, so it should be kept as an option, but you're going to get too much negative press/hate from the more "hardcore" crowd if it's left in all difficulties. The only good solution imo to sell the maximum number of copies and keep everyone happy is to do it this way.

Of course the "hardcore" players could simply not press that particular button but for reasons beyond my understanding that is apparently not good enough.

Message 1 of 12 (466 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
322 posts

Re: Joels "ability"

Feb 4, 2013
Why should it matter though? The ability only works when you are holding down R2 while still. It helps you to plan your attacks, but it doesn't make it any easier to kill the Infected- the clickers can still kill you with a single hit. The 'hardcore' crowd don't really have much to complain about.
 photo 492afe7a-5d47-473d-9476-3a8036a31d5b_zps4955703f.jpg
Message 2 of 12 (457 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
78 posts

Feb 4, 2013

Well it's that plus the immersion level and the fact that it just doesn't seem to fit for a regular guy to be able to do something like that. Again I don't care, but some people do. I've read plenty of complaints.

Message 3 of 12 (441 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

Feb 4, 2013
You can only use it when still, you can only see infected that are making sounds so silent or still enemies can't be seen.

It seems with human enemies you can only see footsteps. And human enemies can exploit it by throwing bricks and other items as a distraction

So it's less of a wall-hack/Detective mode and more like listening really intently or putting your to the ground to get a grasp on your surrounding which, for a rugged veteran survivor like Joel, is well within his abilities
Message 4 of 12 (429 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Feb 4, 2013

I would prefer it not to be there in fear of it being another detective mode. I know it's not that, but you're right, when I first heard about it, I immediately thought 'That doesn't fit a normal guy.' But I think it might. If he's been trying to survive for 20 years no doubt his senses would be more tuned. I think a little more tweeking from naughty dog and it'll be fine.

Message 5 of 12 (416 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

Feb 4, 2013
More tweaking? You haven't even seen it or played with the mode and feel it needs tweaking?

I'd wait until we've at least seen footage before suggesting modiications
Message 6 of 12 (407 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Feb 4, 2013

I don't mind this in Single Player, as I see what they're trying to say by implimenting this system, and it makes sense to me. I have a relative who spent 3 years going blind, and by the time she finally could not actually sense light itself, she could sense someone walking up to her door and, judging by the footsteps, she'd know whether it was a specific family member or friend or just the mailman. I have no doubts that such a heightened state of awareness could be adapted, or need to be adapted, afte 20 years of living like your life depended on it. I can't wait to see where this feature takes us in game.

However for the sake of balance and a more gritty multiplayer I hope this mechanic doesn't carry over. just my opinion.

Message 7 of 12 (398 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Feb 4, 2013
I can see the concern people are having with the notion of Joel's ability but I feel that even though it's not essential to actually use the mechanic, I'll probably end up using it in the same way as I used instincts in Hitman: Absolution. I would assume that it would run out or something that would prevent you from using it all the time (though I suppose having to stand still to use it would be enough). It seems like something that everyone would inevitably use if they were in a tough dilemma. At the end of the day, its a way to make the game accessible (not to fret about just yet) and also an interesting mechanic.
Message 8 of 12 (397 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
787 posts

Feb 5, 2013

I got a little grumpy hearing this myself as i did just pay $100 for the sony headset and knowing now I can just peers through walls like this, grinds my gears to say the least. People are defending this ability with "You gotta stand still". Problem with that, well standing still isn't exaclty a difficult task to achieve in videogames.

I'd prefer this option to be unavailable in a higher difficulty. I want to feel like Joel, not Sam Fisher.

Message 9 of 12 (313 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Feb 6, 2013

I don't see the problem.  I mean if you think about it, it's a post apocalyptic environment with hardly any sounds but bugs and other people or infected.  And it really isn't that hard to stop and listen for a sound and be able to tell where it's coming from.  It being really quiet would make this ability really easy to do.  So it's basically showing you where joel is hearing the sound coming from. 

Message 10 of 12 (257 Views)