Highlighted
Jul 26 2013
By: Trzebiat Lombax Warrior 149 posts

Just beat Survivor mode without using any supplies, upgrades, etc. and only with default weapons

18 replies 2363 views Edited Jul 26, 2013

Hey guys,

First, I have to say, The Last Of Us is the best game I've ever played. Especially single player. But not about that now. I've completed the game couple of times on different modes and difficulties (Hard, Hard+, Survivor, Survivor+, Easy, Normal+, Hard++, again Survivor, Survivor+ and Survivor++) and I found that even on Survivor difficulty (especially playing New Game+) the game is not that hard when you get new weapons and upgrades later in the game. And because I mainly played stealthy, trying to reduce gunfights to minimum or even leaving many enemies untouched, I always ended with a lot of ammo to all weapons on the last two chapters, and I even couldn't use them all, because there was not enough enemies. Anyone of you guys also feels similiar?

So, I thought I'll try to make the Survivor mode even harder and much more challenging and play on Survivor difficulty (completely New Game, not NG+) with some rules which would make the game more difficult. I just did it yesterday and I have to say this was the real and true challenge and feels like real surviving. And I would like to share with you my experience. (If you haven't finished single player yet, watch out for possible spoilers.)

The rules I followed are quite simple:
1. Never pick up any supplies, supplements, parts, tools or new weapons and stick only with those weapons which game will give you automatically in the story - 9mm pistol at the start, revolver when you get trapped in Bill's town (not before, you receive it automatically when you get upside-down) and shotgun from Bill - so these are the only weapons I used.
2. Picking up ammo is allowed, but only for those weapons which you already have, not before you get it (like revolver).
3. Using melee weapons, bricks and bottles is of course allowed. This is obvious. Without that it would be impossible. Melee weapon upgraded one time (two hits), because I got supplies for it automatically, I think after picking up the first upgraded melee weapon in Bill's town or after picking up the manual for shivs (when shivs automatically appeared in crafting menu).
4. Never pick up, craft or use: shivs, molotovs, nail bombs and smoke bombs (with 4 exceptions: first - nail bomb from Bill, necessary to proceed, used on the first Bloater, second - shiv which you get automatically at the end of Summer after killing the sniper, used on one Clicker in the University to stealth pass by the Bloater, third and fourth - one molotov and one nail bomb picked up to fight the Bloater in the Winter). This results you don't even have molotovs and smoke bombs in crafting menu. Nice. And there's also one interesting thing, if you don't pick up shiv, molotov or smoke bomb where they appear the first time, the game will spawn them for you in different places for few next areas or chapters. I was really surprised by that, seeing shivs, molotovs or smoke bombs in places where even on Easy there's nothing in there.
5. Never craft first aid kits (with one exceptions, when you get supplies from Tess to craft med-kit the first time, no more exceptions just because you don't collect any supplies).
6. Using first aid kits is of course allowed. And also using food to regenerate health. But while you can't craft med-kits or pick them up, it's still really hard, because you can get a free first aid kit only sometimes from you allies or the game itself when you have a low health for a longer time and you're not in the middle of the fight.
7. Never upgrade any weapon, holster or skills. And because you don't collect any parts and supplements it's not even possible. You don't even have Skills tab in menu. Exception - if you bought Season Pass, you get two skills upgrades (faster healing and crafting), one 9mm pistol upgrade (faster reloading) and one for the rifle (which doesn't matter). I just bought Season Pass when I got to Bus Depot chapter, so for me it didn't even matter when up to the end I didn't use any med-kits or reloading a gun.

So, that's it. With all of that, the game becomes much more challenging and give much more satisfaction from playing. And also changes a bit the experiance, because you don't have to worry about searching places for supplies and stuff, just to think how to deal with enemies, you can focus on how to pass by them and go on, than how to eliminate them all and then search the place. Because it's unusual way of playing the game, I'd like to share with you some tactics I used in my playthrough and also two the most difficult moments I met.

Of course, the first and the most important thing - stealth. Always eliminate enemies quietly. But after playing single player couple times on Hard and Survivor, I found, that sometimes it's better to just leave enemies untouched and try to pass by them. It reduces the risk of being discovered and also saves a lot of time. And there are moments, when you get to a door which you can get through and barricade so enemies can't get you (very helpful in last chapters). So it's worth to just run the last meters to the exit than trying to engage or quietly taking enemies out one by one. And in some cases like in the library, even when you take all enemies quietly, if you try to choke the last guy, Joel will kill him loudly, so you have to deal with another wave of enemies. I used to do that many times, also with infected, especially with Clickers when I didn't have possibility to take them quietly with shivs or Runners which I could eliminate pretty easily with a bow.
Second - let your allies fight and shoot for you. No need to waste ammo when they can deal with the situation by themselves while you'll be running around like a crazy, especially when you have a melee weapon. Don't attack enemies, keep the melee weapon for later. If you don't have a melee weapon, you can always attack Runners with bare hands, if they're not to close to each others. Otherwise, good tactic "one-two hits, run away, repeat" works great. I used it often in Bill's town.
Another thing - bricks are our best friends. Bottles are second best friends. And a brick or a bottle combined with melee weapon makes things much easier. One throw to stun enemy, one hit to kill, even against Clickers. And even without melee weapon, that's two bare hands hits or grab and kill. When bottles are good for distraction, bricks have that advantage while dealing with people that you can stun enemy, grab and kill him quietly when nobody is near by to hear it. And the best and useful thing with bricks is that it can be used to sneak by and kill a Clicker. And this is big thing when you don't have any shivs. With single Clicker in the area it's not a problem, but when there is more of them, good tactic is take out Runners first, then Clicker with brick, run away and hide till they calm down and then try the same on another Clicker.
With only three weapons I had to be very careful about amount of ammo, especially for shotgun and I used it mainly against Clickers or Stalkers and in close range to kill them with one headshots (remember, it was not upgraded) when there was no other option to use melee weapon or throwing stuff. And you really feel the difference when you normally could deal with the situation with flamethrower like 3-5 seconds and done, everyones dead. Or throwing a bottle to lure 5-6 Runners and Clickers and then kill them with one molotov. In some places I completely had no idea at the start how to deal with enemies, how to even start. Like in University, the first encounter with Runners after you get flamethrower. I practically always killed them all using flamethrower in 5 seconds, and now I ended up with 4 pistol bullets, machete and nothing else. Shotgun and revolver empty. Or the gunfight on the dam. I bet everyone uses there a rifle, maybe with upgraded scope and El Diablo (no worries about ammo, becasue you just found it) to kill most of the enemies. And without that you have to rethink your options, when all you got is an axe, and less than 4 bullets for pistol and revolver.

While the whole game becomes much more difficult and in some situations it was tough, like on the dam without rifle or El Diablo, or the Runners in University, I found two moments which was extremely difficult and took me quite a lot of time to deal with it.

The first very difficult moment for me was at the end of The Sewers chapter where Joel and Henry get stuck. I ended there with only one health bar left, a pipe and 4 bullets for pistol and revolver (I lost all shotgun ammo and health in fight with Stalkers before). Of course in that room there is a molotov, but that would be against Rule #4, so I had to deal with that using all I had. I think it tooks me more than 20 tries. First using revolver 2 shots in the first Clicker, 2 last shots in the second one, get back and change to 9mm. When they walk inside, two hits with pipe to kill the first Clicker, two more to kill the second, and then standard tactic "catch me if you can" which means running around like crazy just to not be hurt by Runners, in that case when I had only one health bar left one grab by a Runner ends with 1% health left. So I'm leaving shooting for Henry, meantime using the pipe to kill some Runners (luckily even with one hit thanks to Henry shoot them), then with bare hands, but still I got grabed or hit by a Runner, so with 1% of health I go back to the door waiting for Ellie to open them and stoping a Runner with 9mm and the last 4 bullets and then only waiting for Henry to get to the door. Success. And as always Ellie helps then with first aid kit. Completing that part was never so satisfying. This always have been pretty hard part, but not as much as now. Not without using one or two molotovs or other weapons and full health.

The second and the most difficult moment for me was getting through the tunnel with infected, near to the end of the game. That was real pain in the... Completing that part took me only 3-4 tries, but the successful try took about 30-40 minutes. I got there with full health, axe with one hit left, 4 shotgun ammo (and 3 more shells found there), and also 4 pistol and revolver bullets. Of course with no possibility to fight with Bloaters, and there are three of them. The first thing I can do and I did is stealth kill almost all Runners (except one near to two Bloaters, no way to go to him). Then the fun beginns. First I tried to pass by the Bloaters by the right side (left side doesn't work, the Runner always react) going up on the car and go on. Failed, too close, they can hear it. So, need to rethink the strategy. I go back to the first Bloater, where is also one Clicker. So the new tactic is: "brick, Clicker, oh God - Bloater is coming!, run!, where did that Runner came from?!, brick-bottle-whatever, Runner, grab, kill, run away, hide, wait for things calm down, repeat..." And guess what? It works. Thanks God, or maybe thanks to devs, there are so many bricks and bottles. After killing the first Clicker with a brick, there always appear more Runners, even if you kill them all quietly before. They must spawn after the encounter starts. But they are easy to defeat. Sometimes even new Clickers spawn. But good thing is that Bloaters are quite easy to evade and there is a lot of space. I had to evade that first Bloater every time I killed every one Clicker. So, running to the right wall behind the truck, and then just crouch and sneak away. He loses his track. So I think I repeated that about 5-6 times getting close and close to those two Bloaters. When there were only those two Bloaters and one Clicker, distracting them to go out from there, going behind the truck the other side and go to the exit, where you have to boost Ellie. But because they were still too close, can't boost her up right now. And also different conversation between Joel and Ellie about that. Luckily Bloaters have gone far enough, so it's possible now to boost Ellie and go on. And after that also short conversation, different than that standard "We killed them all".

If you're interested, here below are my statistics from this playthrough:
Life and deaths
- Total kills -- 484

- Total deaths -- 72
- Ally deaths -- 5
- Damage taken -- 6302
Gun combat
- Firearm kills -- 128
- Shots fired -- 460
- Shots hit -- 289
- Accuracy -- 69,0%
- Headshot kills -- 33
- Hunting Rifle headshot kills -- 3
- Kills while holding a human shield -- 11
Melee
- Total melee kills -- 344
- Choke outs -- 84
Collectibles (they are not displayed correctly)
- Artifacts found -- 85
- Firefly pendants found -- 0
- Training manual found -- 0
- Comics found -- 0
- Tools found -- 0
Crafting
- Melee weapons crafted -- 1
- Shivs crafted -- 0
- Health kits crafted -- 1
- Molotovs crafted -- 0
- Bombs crafted -- 0
- Smoke bombs crafted -- 0
Items
- Brick or bottle hits -- 95
- Molotov kills -- 0
- Bomb kills -- 0
- Kills inside smoke -- 0
- Upgraded melee weapon kills -- 3
- Melee weapon kills -- 131
- Shiv kills -- 1
Infected
- Close range Bloater kills -- 0
- Stalker stealth kills -- 0
- Defensive clicker shivs -- 0
General
- Joel upgrades purchased -- 0
- Weapon upgrades purchased -- 0
- Locked door opened -- 0
- Conversations -- 37
Game completions
- Easy -- 1
- Easy + -- 0
- Normal -- 1
- Normal + -- 0
- Hard -- 1
- Hard + -- 0
- Survivor -- 1
- Survivor + -- 0
- Time played -- 10:55:33

Screenshots: #1, #2, #3, #4

Anyone of you guys had tried something similiar or is going to? What do you think?
I wish I could record the whole playthrough and show you, but unfortunatelly I don't have necessary tools to do it.

Message 1 of 19 (2,363 Views)
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

Re: Just beat Survivor mode without using any supplies, upgrades, etc. and only with default weapons

Jul 26, 2013

You're a crazy man. But you have my respect. 

I don't think I could do this myself. Seems like cruel and un-usual punishment. Haha.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 2 of 19 (2,353 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
595 posts

Re: Just beat Survivor mode without using any supplies, upgrades, etc. and only with default weapons

[ Edited ]
Jul 26, 2013

That's hardcore man.  I like it.  I think I'll try this.  I was thinking, I don't think you need to pick up the rifle or flamethower.  I just won't pick them up, so I never get the temptation to use them.  I'll just use handguns and a shotgun.   Idk how I'm going to beat the cabin section with Ellie without a molotov or bomb.  I always use that on the bloater, but it's worth a shot.  

Message 3 of 19 (2,332 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
419 posts

Jul 26, 2013
Hey hey I see a health kit created jk haha but cool pretty fast too only around ten hours.
Message 4 of 19 (2,291 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
564 posts

Jul 26, 2013

And I'm struggling playing with every weapon available on normal Survivor... lol.

I have acquired the grade of Master in The Last of Us story/character/game knowledge as I have played it through 9 times.

... I have no life.
Message 5 of 19 (2,262 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
149 posts

Jul 26, 2013

Yeah, it could sounds like punishment, but for me I enjoy it more than typical playthrough on Survivor. After I completed the game on Survivor couple of times and get to know where exactly everything is, the paths enemies walks, where are supplies, weapons and that stuff, I usually played it completely relaxed. No tension, when I already knew the best ways of finishing different parts and the best ways of dealing with enemies. Survivor is hard when you played it for first time, or you played the game before on Easy and now jump to Survivor. Then it feels the difference. And now playing it that way I felt that tension. Except those two the most difficult moments I described, everything else was the similiar to playing Survivor the first time when it comes to the difficulty level.

About Ellie's part, when I played the game the first time (on Hard) the fight with infected and Bloater was the hardest part in the whole game. But now after beating that part many times it looks so easy to me. And defeating Bloater without using bomb and molotov could be also possible. Just more running and waiting till David shoot him down.

One tip about new weapon found. Always use the recently found weapon first, because you always can get ammo for it from kills. And especially in Ellie's part, using rifle instead of a bow, and even if you're empty, you get ammo from David.

It took me only 11 hours because I skipped all cutscenes and in many times I didn't waste time to slowly going forward and often just running to the exit before enemies will come to me. Like in the part with Ellie and Tess during the night where there's a lot of military and they are searching the place. Normally I waited for Tess and sign to go. But instead of that I run forward watching only to not being spotted by lights. And because I went through that section so fast, in one moment game freezed and showed me text "Loading" for 3-4 seconds Smiley Very Happy Never happend before anywhere. And later when you go through the gate to the street and military coming, it's possible to just run the whole area by the right side and they won't spot you.

Message 6 of 19 (2,249 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
564 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 26, 2013

Trzebiat wrote:

Yeah, it could sounds like punishment, but for me I enjoy it more than typical playthrough on Survivor. After I completed the game on Survivor couple of times and get to know where exactly everything is, the paths enemies walks, where are supplies, weapons and that stuff, I usually played it completely relaxed. No tension, when I already knew the best ways of finishing different parts and the best ways of dealing with enemies. Survivor is hard when you played it for first time, or you played the game before on Easy and now jump to Survivor. Then it feels the difference. And now playing it that way I felt that tension. Except those two the most difficult moments I described, everything else was the similiar to playing Survivor the first time when it comes to the difficulty level.

About Ellie's part, when I played the game the first time (on Hard) the fight with infected and Bloater was the hardest part in the whole game. But now after beating that part many times it looks so easy to me. And defeating Bloater without using bomb and molotov could be also possible. Just more running and waiting till David shoot him down.

One tip about new weapon found. Always use the recently found weapon first, because you always can get ammo for it from kills. And especially in Ellie's part, using rifle instead of a bow, and even if you're empty, you get ammo from David.

It took me only 11 hours because I skipped all cutscenes and in many times I didn't waste time to slowly going forward and often just running to the exit before enemies will come to me. Like in the part with Ellie and Tess during the night where there's a lot of military and they are searching the place. Normally I waited for Tess and sign to go. But instead of that I run forward watching only to not being spotted by lights. And because I went through that section so fast, in one moment game freezed and showed me text "Loading" for 3-4 seconds Smiley Very Happy Never happend before anywhere. And later when you go through the gate to the street and military coming, it's possible to just run the whole area by the right side and they won't spot you.

To be honest, I'm through the most parts that were the hardest (in any difficulty, for me), thank God... I am talking about the hotel basement and the sewers with Sam.

Also skipping cutscenes won't affect the total gameplay length, it will still add them as if you watched them, or so I have heard. Smiley Tongue

I have acquired the grade of Master in The Last of Us story/character/game knowledge as I have played it through 9 times.

... I have no life.
Message 7 of 19 (2,228 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Jul 26, 2013

This is inadvertantly how I played somewhat, on my Survivor+ run.  I went in as stealthily as possible and forced myself to go undetected in every section the game allows.  I was always worried about running out of ammo by the time the game would force me to use it, so I never used it.  I collected and upgrading every weapon, but they almost never saw use.  Even the parts where you have to fight, like the end of the museum, I ran around grabbing bottles and bricks to snag insta-melee kills.

As for collecting supplies, I cannot say that I did not.  I like to make a habit of collecting all that I can, especially on Survivor.  It feels organic to collect, and I was hoping to crack all the Shiv doors.  Didn't happen because there weren't enough bindings and blades, but I still tried.  Otherwise, most of the supplies I purchased went unused because, as I said, I avoided combat as much as possible.  The only time I threw a molotov was at the two Bloaters you are forced to fight, and I never bothered with either type of bomb.

Message 8 of 19 (2,207 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2477 posts

Jul 26, 2013

First off, congrats.

Here I am cruising through Survivor not using any healthkits (just met David) thinking I have this pretty down pat. And you...blow me out of the water. What you did is basically the equivalent of doing a New Game Big Boss Emblem run in MGS4--and that is **bleep** impressive.

I may have to try this at some point down the line. Thank for telling us so we know it can be done!

The biggest question, of course, is what skins and backpacks did you use for Ellie and Joel? Thats a big part of the fun for multiple playthroughs Smiley Happy

--
Say NO to paid DLC maps
Message 9 of 19 (2,152 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
329 posts

Jul 26, 2013
I Salute you my friend. I'm gonna give this a try, endure and survive.
Message 10 of 19 (2,138 Views)
0 Likes