Treasure Hunter
8661 posts

Re: Just finished Left Behind, your thoughts ?

[ Edited ]
Feb 14, 2014

Bruce_Wayne_1989 wrote:
How can you say the Joel part wasn't a gap filler ? I'm not slating the dlc by no means but it didn't make sense to me, how did the Joel and ellie + Riley scenes tie into together ? It didn't add up, it would have made more sense if they mixed it in with the ending of TLOU where ellie actually talks about Riley, what I'm saying aswell is the dlc was supposed to be about ellie and Riley but instead most of the content was about finding Joel a first aid kit, we was also told the dlc would be 3-4 hrs long, well I beat it in just under an hour and half, and that wasn't speed run either, I collected all the artifacts etc, when the end credits popped up I was like what the hell that's it ?

LOL SPOILERS

They both go hand in hand. The Joel sections show how much the events of the prequel part, and Riley, impact on Ellie. It is pretty clear by that line Riley has at the end as she talks over Ellie putting Joel into that makeshift sledge.

"There are a million ways we should've died before today. And there are a million ways we can die before tomorrow. But we fight... for every second we get to spend with each other. Whether it is two minutes... Or two days... We don't give that up."

She went through nearly impossible odds, impossible for a 14 year old girl, to help Joel even though there was no way to know if he would even survive being LEFT BEHIND, so they at least get more time together.  Smiley Mad

Message 11 of 24 (437 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Feb 14, 2014

Okay, too short LOL,  no surprise there it was so good I wish it was longer but then again I wish TLOU was longer too.  ND does do a good job at ending it in a way that just makes you wish for more.  ANd screw you ND, LOL, I should be feeling like this on ST. Valentine day LOL.

So, I hate Marlene even more now then I did before; and like wise the 'Big Lie' that Joel told is more understandable from Elli POV.  Joel was saying the something that Riley told her after being bitten.  Fight for something, even if it just for another moment with someone you trust and love.  Marlene probably told her that she could save everyone and would be a hero, while Joel and Riley told her to be a hero for your family. 

I thought that they would show Riley turning, so glad they didn't, after the picture booth, the Halloween store ... their dance ... it would just been sadistic and unnecessary. 

All and all, I give it a 8.5/10 You rock ND, you rock.

Message 12 of 24 (406 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
512 posts

Feb 14, 2014

"Let's just wait it out. We can be all poetic and just lose our minds together"

Dem feels. Riley saying it was so powerful considering it was one of the final lines in the full game.  The mini games were really fun, the water fight was the best IMO. Loved the dialogue in the photo booth about Facebook as well. I felt it was too short though so for that reason I would give it a 9/10.

Message 13 of 24 (371 Views)
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Feb 14, 2014
The good features:
1. More movies between reily and ellie
2. Linking the ellie with joel and reily in remembering the evevnts
Bad: 1. Less combact like straight forward
2. No bosses to fight
I feel the dlc is a movie more than playing
Message 14 of 24 (345 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
884 posts

Feb 14, 2014

I thought the DLC was incredible. By far the best DLC I've played albeit I have not played many, to be frank.

What I truly loved was the writing which should come as no surprise to anyone. Everything we see from Ellie throughout the main campaign is given an extra dimension and light thanks to Riley. Naughty Dog kept a specific part of the DLC a secret which was a very clever move. Without that part, there would have been far less combat and the impact would not have been the same. Allow me to elaborate.

(Heavy SPOILERS for the main campaign AND Left Behind, follows):

Riley dies. We know this. We did not need to see it other than them going for the cliché feelings. Infact I feel pretty foolish for expecting it since the main ending of The Last of Us was anything but cliché

Instead the relationship between Ellie and Riley seems to be more than just friendship. Dare I say romance?

My view is that Ellie did not seem to have anyone else in her life and Riley did so much for her that Ellie could not really help but feel grateful for.

Riley on the other hand, threw away her firefly pendant and claimed that she did not know why she came back and risked her life just to hang with Ellie in the mall.

I believe it is rather evident that Riley, being the older: had some feelings for Ellie and that Ellie felt something too although how strong they are are still not exactly clear. That is... until you really think about Spring.

This DLC shows that Ellie while trying to save Joel is actually reflecting back upon losing Riley. So by the time of Spring when Ellie is all distant...  It could be because she is thinking about Riley. This makes even more sense as she also mentions Riley towards the end when confronting Joel about the lie. You have to admit that Ellie mentioning her best friend out of nowhere in the main campaign was a little strange. Survivors guilt or not.

After Left Behind however, it all adds up to me. It's not about her knowing that they're going to carve her brain (she infact states that she has no clue at one point) nor is it because the hardships she had with David. Although yeah, in many ways: All of these play a role, absolutely! BUT they are not the main aspect of it.

Spring starts with Ellie seeing a deer which reflects back upon her time being left behind and thus reminding her of Riley, her best and only friend.

Other than this, we also saw just how much of Ellie came from Riley. Riley truly influenced her and seeing moments such as the joke book and the general playful side of Ellie made me emotional. And here is the greatest aspect of it all:
It further enforces my own interpretation of the ending. Which is that Ellie is happy that Joel goes to the length he does to protect her. She decides to trust him, despite her knowing that Joel is obviously hiding something hence the reason she even asks him to swear to begin with.

Riley: "We fight."
Ellie: "Fight for what? We're gonna turn into one of those things."
Riley: "There are a million ways we should've died before today."
Riley: "And a million ways we can die before tomorrow. "
Riley: "But we fight. For every second we get to spend with each other. Whether its two minutes; or two days... We dont give that up. I dont wanna give that up."

While Riley says this, it pans over to Ellie looking over Joel and riding into the snow.

Ellie truly loved Joel. We also see this when she grabs the medkit in the chopper and whispers

Ellie: "I'm not letting you go. I'm not letting you go."

From a writing standpoint, Neil Druckmann nailed it. The story is in an absolute world class when compared to video games in general. The storytelling also is in a league of its own along with the performances of the characters. It does not subtract from the main story, it merely adds a great deal to it and further makes Ellie the best character that has been produced by the gaming industry.

The only thing that subtracts this incredible experience from being a masterpiece is that the game design was a bit slow in certain moments. Do not get me wrong, I adore pretty much every moment we got , especially those character bonding parts. However the story they decided to tell was a bit difficult to create an exciting game design around. The inclusion of humans and infected fighting at the same time was a great choice however there were only about three of these encounters and most of them came towards the end where the game ended quickly after it.

Luckily there were some truly unique moments that felt like taken straight from the creativity of many talented indie developers. It was very refreshing to see a company like Naughty Dog take quite the risk in doing that and for what Left Behind was trying to be: It was the right decision. It was for this reason very,  very different from The Last of Us.

Combine that along with the quality being so high that you just simply wish it would be longer and you have the only two valid reasons from keeping this DLC from being a masterpiece, in my eyes. So while the main game is one of the best games I have ever played in my life. This DLC will simply have to serve as the best DLC I have played and an incredible experience that is an absolute must for everyone who has finished The Last of Us.

Very few (if any), games capture the emotions portrayed in Left Behind. Naughty Dog once again shows that they are masters of their craft and with a team that is so talented within  atmosphere, writing, gameplay tension, music, sound design, voice acting, graphical fidelity, art design, animation and more:

It is truly hard to not be amazed.

Message 15 of 24 (326 Views)
I Only Post Everything
938 posts

Feb 14, 2014

A little too short. As usual ND leaves us always wanting more Smiley Sad like someone said. Where I am at - I ended up paying 19$ but yeah... worth it!

-RyukDG

My YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/TheRyukDG || My Twitch: www.twitch.tv/TheRyukDG
Message 16 of 24 (322 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
168 posts

Feb 14, 2014
That was my only real issue with it, was incredibly short, and was left feeling like there should have been more, though it was good I don't think it was worth the price. £11.99 in uk, I'm glad I got it on season pass, I don't feel like money's been wasted Smiley Happy
Message 17 of 24 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
441 posts

Feb 14, 2014
to short, good story just to short, coulda had more action.
give it a 7/10. to short, was disappointed
Message 18 of 24 (260 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

Feb 14, 2014

Took me over 3 hours, though I took m ysweet time Smiley Very Happy

Now I have that empty feeling inside :/

Message 19 of 24 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11297 posts

Feb 14, 2014

I liked it. Smiley Happy

It's not the best DLC i have played but it's TLoU, so that's already good enough. Smiley Tongue

Message 20 of 24 (210 Views)
0 Likes