Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 10 2013
By: evilkid98 Splicer 57 posts
Accepted Solution

Just wondering how many of you guys knew... (SPOILERS)

10 replies 540 views Edited Jul 10, 2013

That in the last level you can find a recorder that states that they did find other immune people such as Ellie and that it did not work. So technically Joel was not lying. It's really odd that they'd keep a major plot point like that hidden in collectibles. So the ending is really just a matter of perspective. I was generally shocked when I found out myself, and it seems like many other people here were clueless as well.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (540 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
564 posts

Re: Just wondering how many of you guys knew... (SPOILERS)

[ Edited ]
Jul 10, 2013

I thought that the recorder (at least one recorder anyway) said something like this:

"The girl's infection is nothing like we've ever seen." Meaning they've never seen an immune person? I don't know.

I have acquired the grade of Master in The Last of Us story/character/game knowledge as I have played it through 9 times.

... I have no life.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (535 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
594 posts

Jul 10, 2013
The recording says "In all past cases" referring to past infected cases that they have researched, says that the infection in those cases are in Ellie, then goes on to further explain that Ellie's white blood cells are normal and other medical mumbo jumbo.

You're not the first to interpret it like that, but I firmly do believe that Ellie was the only immune. I think it kind of defeats the emotional impact of Joel's lie if he was half-telling the truth. Also if you never found that recorder does that mean that Joel just lied completely? I don't think ND would put a crucial plot point that directly relates to what a character knows/doesnt know in an optional recording
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (533 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
311 posts

Jul 10, 2013
^^ Everyone is taking that recording too literally. They hear: "in all past cases", and automatically assume that means other people are immune. The past cases are referring to their study of the infection; I've played through the game six times and never did I come across anything that mentions the possibility of other immune people.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (501 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
392 posts

Jul 10, 2013

I took it as there was other immunes but from what Marlene said Ellie's was the only one that had mutated in such a way that they where nearly positive they could create a vaccine.

photo psd_signature_mass_effect_by_urrrrrrrrr-d4rckz9_zps4cdccc04.png
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (452 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Jul 10, 2013

XPaddyCFCX wrote:

I took it as there was other immunes but from what Marlene said Ellie's was the only one that had mutated in such a way that they where nearly positive they could create a vaccine.

huh, that is an interesting and different way to interpret what the recording says. I don't think I will dismiss this interpretation until there is a statement made or a concrete argument against it.

Raptr Gamercard
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (433 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
363 posts

Jul 10, 2013

luctiger98 wrote:
The recording says "In all past cases" referring to past infected cases that they have researched, says that the infection in those cases are in Ellie, then goes on to further explain that Ellie's white blood cells are normal and other medical mumbo jumbo.

You're not the first to interpret it like that, but I firmly do believe that Ellie was the only immune. I think it kind of defeats the emotional impact of Joel's lie if he was half-telling the truth. Also if you never found that recorder does that mean that Joel just lied completely? I don't think ND would put a crucial plot point that directly relates to what a character knows/doesnt know in an optional recording

I agree with this. Those scientist studied a load of cordyceps infected humans etc. But it was only Ellie that exhibited a true immunity towards the cordyceps. High titers (her body can fight the infection), a fungi-media with Ellies sample on it grows fungi (Ellie has the fungi, but for some reason it doesn't grow or progress in her body), her blood cell count is normal (if ther is something wrong in the body, most of the time cell count changes abnormally)..

That's the way I understood it. I think Joel lied to Ellie so Ellie won't have to carry the burden of failing to save mankind. I think Ellie knew he lied to her. Though Ellie probably will probably never know the reason why Joel lied to her.

+============================================================+
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (407 Views)
Splicer
57 posts

Jul 10, 2013
Oh I understand, Im glad to see some other interpretation on it.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (355 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
41 posts

Jul 10, 2013

Right, Joel lied to her, so far out of everyone infected Ellie was immune. I'm sure there are other immune peopl ein the world. i doubt Ellie is the only one but she was the only one the fireflies knew about and could use.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (341 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11094 posts

Jul 10, 2013

evilkid98 wrote:

they did find other immune people such as Ellie and that it did not work.

That changes everything.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (300 Views)
0 Likes