96 replies 800 views Edited Jun 3, 2013
Message 1 of 97 (800 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
344 posts

Re: Last of Us Multiplayer INFO!

Jun 3, 2013

WNxFire wrote:

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/06/03/the-last-of-us-multiplayer-modes-played-and-tested/

HERE IT IS

Did it need a new thread?

sub sig

sig url -

Message 2 of 97 (785 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5546 posts

Jun 3, 2013

Just beat me to it, haha.

Factions

Choose one of two clans

Each match represents a day, try to survive 12 weeks

There are two game types

There are seven maps

Plenty of customisation options and load-out tweaks to keep things interesting

While most of the emphasis on The Last Of Us has so far been squarely aimed at the game’s single player, the game does come with a multiplayer section – and we’ve been dipping in and out of it for the last few days in-between bouts of the main story mode. Multiplayer is called ‘Factions’ and is split into two game types, which we’ll come back to shortly.

The premise is that The Last Of Us’ multiplayer involves the player choosing to join one of two teams – two groups of humans taken from the singleplayer portion of the game. We’ll not spoil anything in terms of names, but chances are if you’ve been keeping an eye on the game recently you’ll have some idea of who we’re referring to.

Whichever you choose, you can then begin to customise your character in terms of appearance (with various options for hats, masks, helmets and gestures – most of which will need unlocking rather than being available from the start) and you can also design an emblem, although you’re really pulling from pre-made shapes rather than creating your own.

More interesting are the load-outs – there are four default ones (assault, sniper, support and stealth) and four custom slots. Each has a small and large weapon (for example, the stealth class has a silenced 9mm pistol and a bow) and there are also additional bolt-on skills, like Covert Training 2, which lets you crouch-walk without showing up on an opponent’s Listen Mode tracking.

Yep, Listen Mode is in, although unlike the single player in Factions it’s limited to a few seconds at a time before it recharges. Generally keeping still will mean you’re not visible to others, but the skill mentioned above at least lets you move undetected, albeit slowly.

Other skills available from the off include the ability to craft items (something the single player game is heavily focused on) in half the time, the sniper’s deadly Sharpshooter 3 (less scope sway and regenerating health for headshots) and the ability to know when you’ve been ‘marked’. There are also one-use boosters, but you’ll need to grow your clan population before you can use those.

When you select a clan, you’ll get a handful of survivors too. The aim is to play matches over a series of days and weeks (each match represents a day) and get enough supplies out on the battlefield to slowly grow your survivor count. Pretty much everything you do in a battle is translated into supplies, including crafting and healing.

The two game modes are Supply Raid and Survivors. Supply Raid sees players from each clan scavenging for supplies with a twenty-life limit, although anything crafted or bought is carried over if you die (assuming there are lives left). Survivors is more brutal: once you’re dead you’re dead until the end of the round, and there are seven rounds for each match.

Both game types allow up to four players per team, eight players maximum.

Factions is an interesting diversion. It’s clear that the bulk of The Last Of Us in is in the single player (more on that on Wednesday) but this isn’t necessarily something you should just skip over. It’s presented well, looks just as good as the single player mode and controls the same, so there’s little in the way of a learning curve.

We didn’t get enough time to properly evaluate the multiplayer beyond a functional check and a few quick tests – these things are always much better once the game is out and the player count is much higher – but there has been a lot of people asking about what multiplayer is all about, so hopefully this will help to answer the questions.

Stay tuned for more on The Last Of Us.

Message 3 of 97 (781 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
83 posts

Jun 3, 2013

SuBLiMeShoTz wrote:

WNxFire wrote:

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/06/03/the-last-of-us-multiplayer-modes-played-and-tested/

HERE IT IS

Did it need a new thread?

Would you rather continue looking through senseless comments debating on whether its open world? Or rather what the codes mean from the links? I think not, be a dear and just click the link and deal with the new thread.

Message 4 of 97 (766 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 3, 2013

Was hoping for a video. 

And Listen Mode is in, for everybody. Great.  

Was wishing we could of seen it in action. 

Sounds alright, have to see for myself. 

Plus it's all stuff we already knew practically.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 5 of 97 (750 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5546 posts

Jun 3, 2013

Definitely being a Stealther.

Silent weapons and (eventually) immune to Listen Mode when crouch-walking. Sounds excellent.

Message 6 of 97 (714 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
11254 posts

Jun 3, 2013
Message 7 of 97 (697 Views)
Sackboy
520 posts

Jun 3, 2013

Well, this bit:

"Other skills available from the off include the ability to craft items (something the single player game is heavily focused on) in half the time, the sniper’s deadly Sharpshooter 3 (less scope sway and regenerating health for headshots) and the ability to know when you’ve been ‘marked’. There are also one-use boosters, but you’ll need to grow your clan population before you can use those."

Sounds awful to me. Some bureacractic stuff that keeps a beginner from using a feature. I'm guess other stuff will be available at only 'higher levels', too. **bleep**. When will devs learn this is a terrible and unfair design? Or maybe they do know and they don't care... and they'll do anything to keep players hooked.

As for the rest of the info, it seems like the rare guns and focus on melee stuff isn't true, huh? Thanks for the new, but they didn't sound like good news to me.

Message 8 of 97 (654 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2633 posts

Jun 3, 2013

still no mention of co-op and how those strings like eating cats will play into the game... Smiley Sad

yeehaw i'm a cowboy now
Message 9 of 97 (640 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14228 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 3, 2013

Meh.

I'll see how it plays out, but now I see why they haven't said a word. Never thought I'd be saying this...

Thank god for SP.

Message 10 of 97 (639 Views)
0 Likes