Naughty Host
9569 posts

Re: Last of Us inspired by No Country for Old Men!!?!?!?

Jun 13, 2013

Message 11 of 26 (9,462 Views)
Splicer
77 posts

Jun 13, 2013

OP must be 10 years old or something.

Message 12 of 26 (9,424 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
769 posts

Jun 13, 2013

No Country was an amazing movie.

That being said, all Neil said was that the sound direction was inspired by it. The way No Country immersed you with sound effects made Bruce and Neil admire the movie.

sig.png

Message 13 of 26 (9,404 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1721 posts

Jun 13, 2013

Did Batman just get hit in the balls or something?

This months old sig image will remain till the end of days.
Message 14 of 26 (9,389 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
290 posts

Jun 13, 2013
I watched no country for old men, and from seeing last of us gameplay, there were a lot of similar moments between the both. Also no country for old men was an amazing movie. I find it funny people say tlou was inspired by the road and I am legend, when I never heard the dev team mention those titles, except no country for old men.
Message 15 of 26 (9,244 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 13, 2013

The Last of Us was obviously inspired by The Walking Dead. Everyone knows that.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 16 of 26 (9,120 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 13, 2013

j_a_griffith wrote:

No Country for Old Men was a masterpiece. I'm sorry if it doesn't fit your build for blockbuster sugar coated summer movie where the producers spoon feed you the plot points, but it is in fact much better than that. Its only crime is advertising itself as an action movie.

Strong, powerful themes and metaphorical writing, phenomenal performances (not just from the leading men, but from each and every supporter), perfect pacing, gorgeous cinematography, art design that accurately and artistically brought alive 1980 southern united states and mexico exactly right, it's a masterwork in sound design and it has brilliant singular direction from two of the most talented people working in film today.

You are entitled to your opinion, but your argument seems barren and brittle.

I don't know what you mean by no characters; Javier Bardem's take on Anton Chigurh is one of the best antagonists of all time portrayed on film. Josh Brolin as the man on the run, not doing the right thing but rather what is best for him, and Tommy Lee Jones' Sherrif Ed Tom Bell: in over his head, the old man who is losing his place in the world, unable to keep up. And the film is dripping with subtext.
I also don't know what you mean by no plot. I'll explain it to you: it's a game of cat and mouse where the cat and mouse are rarely in the same place and the tension is cranked high. A man comes across blood money and chooses to take it. Another man is hired to track him down (this particular man is a metaphor for death, but that's subtext which, from the sounds of your post, you don't understand. Specifically death in the drug dealing community; you can't stop what's coming); an old sheriff tries to stop it (not only that but to uphold his morals and ideals of law and order, of justice) but ultimately is unable; he discovers (which is a key part of any story: discovery and character building), and this can be interpreted differently, that either he no longer wants to be a part of the world the way it's going, or the world no longer has a place for him; It is No Country for Old Men. It's what his dream is about that he describes at the end of his journey: his departure of the world and reunion with the past (his father, only younger than he ever remembered him).

If this game is anything like it (and from the sounds of it I think the only thing it shares is its harsh and unpleasant realistic depictions of violence, and its overall tone: dark, quiet, grounded, violent with splashes of humour; not so much story) then we are in for something new and incredible. Games that might actually mean something and can be taken seriously as an artform. Games where I won't be squirming listening to hokey dialogue from lackluster voice actors. Games achieving a greater purpose than distracting us for a few hours.

OP needs to broaden his taste in movies. This movie is FARGO on Steroids.

"If your choice is to save me over everybody else in the world then...ok. I trust you now and let’s live life.." ~TheVulcanSalute
Message 17 of 26 (9,035 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1212 posts

Jun 13, 2013

SLEEMOXX wrote:

Jesus tapdancing Christ I hope not. That film was awful; no plot, no characters, no story, no subtext. It barely qualifys as a film. Please Naughty Dog don't let TLOU be ruined mordernist garbage.

I couldn't disagree more. It had all those things, and more.

The Last of Us: 96% Metacritic!!!
Message 18 of 26 (9,022 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 13, 2013
It greatly disappoints me to see people say No Country for Old Men is "terrible". Please leave your movie reviews to movies more along your expertise, like the next Transformer movie. I know you love dem flashy explosions!
Message 19 of 26 (8,989 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Jun 13, 2013

j_a_griffith wrote:

No Country for Old Men was a masterpiece. I'm sorry if it doesn't fit your build for blockbuster sugar coated summer movie where the producers spoon feed you the plot points, but it is in fact much better than that. Its only crime is advertising itself as an action movie.

Strong, powerful themes and metaphorical writing, phenomenal performances (not just from the leading men, but from each and every supporter), perfect pacing, gorgeous cinematography, art design that accurately and artistically brought alive 1980 southern united states and mexico exactly right, it's a masterwork in sound design and it has brilliant singular direction from two of the most talented people working in film today.

You are entitled to your opinion, but your argument seems barren and brittle.

I don't know what you mean by no characters; Javier Bardem's take on Anton Chigurh is one of the best antagonists of all time portrayed on film. Josh Brolin as the man on the run, not doing the right thing but rather what is best for him, and Tommy Lee Jones' Sherrif Ed Tom Bell: in over his head, the old man who is losing his place in the world, unable to keep up. And the film is dripping with subtext.
I also don't know what you mean by no plot. I'll explain it to you: it's a game of cat and mouse where the cat and mouse are rarely in the same place and the tension is cranked high. A man comes across blood money and chooses to take it. Another man is hired to track him down (this particular man is a metaphor for death, but that's subtext which, from the sounds of your post, you don't understand. Specifically death in the drug dealing community; you can't stop what's coming); an old sheriff tries to stop it (not only that but to uphold his morals and ideals of law and order, of justice) but ultimately is unable; he discovers (which is a key part of any story: discovery and character building), and this can be interpreted differently, that either he no longer wants to be a part of the world the way it's going, or the world no longer has a place for him; It is No Country for Old Men. It's what his dream is about that he describes at the end of his journey: his departure of the world and reunion with the past (his father, only younger than he ever remembered him).

If this game is anything like it (and from the sounds of it I think the only thing it shares is its harsh and unpleasant realistic depictions of violence, and its overall tone: dark, quiet, grounded, violent with splashes of humour; not so much story) then we are in for something new and incredible. Games that might actually mean something and can be taken seriously as an artform. Games where I won't be squirming listening to hokey dialogue from lackluster voice actors. Games achieving a greater purpose than distracting us for a few hours.

I don't even care if that was a necro bump - That was so well put it's totally okay.

I just imagine this guy was lurking hardcore, stumbled across this ridiculous thread, and just had to make an account to intelligence-slap the OP

+1

Message 20 of 26 (8,966 Views)
0 Likes