Lombax Warrior
206 posts

Re: Last of Us is Boring...

Jun 17, 2013

Alright, just confess you're trolling.

Because if you are not, you might aswell shoot yourself.

Message 31 of 43 (601 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1603 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 17, 2013

mmmmmmmmm, this popcorn is good. Anybody want some?

To the OP, If you found the first 15 minutes boring then you must be blind and deaf.  

Message 32 of 43 (598 Views)
Sackboy
459 posts

Jun 17, 2013

whilst i will agree that the game does have quieter moments in the first couple of hours i would encourage anyone to stick with it and by the later stages you will be hooked,i sure was.

i do think that from their previous endeavours naughty dog have learned to master and conquer within the ps3s limitations, like if you think back to one little village in uncharted 2 with jaw dropping graphics theres not actually a lot going on but a few chickens running round then compare it to some of the environments  in uncharted 3 with rocking ships,rain sea water etc but drake stumbles around clumsily sliding radomly like they  had to try to disguise the processor struggling to cope.

All in all i think they did a great job with a perfect balance and we can put the quieter moments down to the well crafted pacing of the game and with the comparisons with uncharted i was pleasantly suprised as a fan of the franchise some of the levels would easily have hypothetically fitted within an uncharted 4 framework if the characters were drake and elena for example

Message 33 of 43 (589 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1642 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 17, 2013

Grimm wrote:

TheNobleSquirrel wrote:

Grimm wrote:

TheNobleSquirrel wrote:

Grimm wrote:

TheNobleSquirrel wrote:

Grimm wrote:
nice anti-aliasing. seen better on ps2.

a·li·as·ing
/ˈālēəsiNG/
Noun
In computer graphics, the jagged or saw-toothed appearance of curved or diagonal lines on a low-resolution monitor.

no excuse.

Ok, don't even get me started on graphics. AA is reduced to improve textures. What would you prefer, better AA, or better textures? You CAN'T have both on the current hardware of the PS3 the CPU, AND GPU can't handle both, the PS4 will address that.

There's the excuse, next problem.

this is completely not true.

CPU:

The PS3 uses the Cell microprocessor, which is made up of one 3.2 GHz PowerPC-based "Power Processing Element" (PPE) and six accessible Synergistic Processing Elements (SPEs). A seventh runs in a special mode and is dedicated to aspects of the OS and security, and an eighth is a spare to improve production yields. PlayStation 3's Cell CPU achieves a theoretical maximum of 230.4 GFLOPS in single precision floating point operations and up to 100 GFLOPS double precision using iterative refinement for the solution of linear equations. The PS3 has 256MB of Rambus XDR DRAM, clocked at CPU die speed.

GPU:

The graphics processing unit, according to Nvidia, is based on the NVIDIA G70 (previously known as NV47) architecture. The GPU is clocked at 550 MHz and makes use of 256 MB GDDR3 RAM clocked at 700 MHz with an effective transmission rate of 1.4 GHz.

To date, the PS3 has had several component revisions which serve to reduce power consumption. This in turn results in production savings, lower heat production, lower cooling requirements and quieter running. Since launch, the Cell processor has shrunk from 90 nm to 45 nm. The RSX GPU has also seen reduction in size over periodic revisions of the PS3.
Major improvements were introduced with the PS3 Slim. It utilized a 45 nm Cell which resulted in a 34% reduction in power consumption over the previous 65 nm Cell model; the latest Slim model further decreases power consumption with the move to a 40 nm RSX.

Go ahead, and tell me how it's not true.

ok MR. Expert.  if this IS true.   then why is it not an issue in SO MANY OTHER GAMES???

Because different games use different game engines. Naughty Dog's game engine sacrafices AA for textures, while most other companies (i.e Bungie, 343, Rockstar, DICE) sacrafice textures, for AA.

Now, just so we are clear on what a game engine is,

A game engine is a system designed for the creation and development of video games. The leading game engines provide a software framework that developers use to create games for video game consoles and personal computers. The core functionality typically provided by a game engine includes a rendering engine (“renderer”) for 2D or 3D graphics, a physic engine or collision detection (and collision response), sound, scripting, animation, artificial intelligence, networking, streaming, memory management, threading, localization support, and a scene graph. The process of game development is often economized, in large part, by reusing/adapting the same game engine to create different games, or to make it easier to "port" games to multiple platforms.

Are you done setting yourself up to fall, yet?

EDIT: Of course the PS2 had AA just fine, did you see the quality of their graphics?

yes i did, i have eyes. do you?   

Killzone 3 did what your claiming can't be done as did many others.  

you done being derogatory??

if you want to discuss why i fell like i do about the title. then maybe you should change your attitude.

Ok, I meant PS2 graphics COMPARED to the PS3 graphics today! The textures in The Last of Us are very high, over all, meaning they have to dumb down certain aspects of the game to achieve a relativley steady 30 FPS. The PS2 was good for it's time. Now, Killzone 3, had good graphics, that's a fact, BUT it doesn't have as high of a level of textures as The Last of Us, so it could run textures, and AA relativley well together.

For example, the Unreal Engine can handle graphics, and AA quite well, because it has a steady balance in both, nothing its favoring the other. The Frostbite engine, (even though I hate it) has a decnt balance between AA, and textures as well, in fact they both complement each other quite well. Naughty Dogs engine is heavily focused on textures, giving the players some serious eye candy up close, opposed to the Unreal Engine, which the textures DECREASE when the player gets closer.

Some games sure can run with AA, and textures, but NO GAMES (of this generation of gaming) can run with as high textures as Naughty Dog, and have little, to no jagged edges.

EDIT: I just looked at Killzone 3, and it has ASSTONS of AA, just as much, if not more than The Last of Us.

Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Message 34 of 43 (587 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1363 posts

Jun 17, 2013
I have a feelin the OP is being a troll, but this game isn't for everyone. Just like 'The Road', it's very slow paced, but that doesn't mean it's boring. Games like Call of Duty spoil you guys, because you expect these big explosive moments every two seconds. The Last of Us is a mature game, and I don't mean mature because of the content in the game. It takes a mature mind to enjoy this game.
Message 35 of 43 (554 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
277 posts

Jun 17, 2013

Guys, can we just stop replying to this guy? If NOBODY said a word to him, then it wouldn't be an issue at all. Hopefully a mod will close and lock this thread, because this is just ridiculous.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 36 of 43 (549 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1642 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 17, 2013

xNeurosiis wrote:

Guys, can we just stop replying to this guy? If NOBODY said a word to him, then it wouldn't be an issue at all. Hopefully a mod will close and lock this thread, because this is just ridiculous.

Even if you ignore him, he still PM's you. This is what he sent me, Smiley Very Happy

Subject: aa

"killzone 3 did not have bad aa as you trolled a moment ago.   go away. get a life ."

Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
Message 37 of 43 (542 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2018 posts

Jun 17, 2013

TheNobleSquirrel wrote:

xNeurosiis wrote:

Even if you ignore him, he still PM's you. This is what he sent me, Smiley Very Happy

"killzone 3 did not have bad aa as you trolled a moment ago.   go away. get a life ."

Just ignore him with the best of your ability. He wants to antagonize you and don't let him.

Message 38 of 43 (518 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1642 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 17, 2013

thedeviant105 wrote:

TheNobleSquirrel wrote:

xNeurosiis wrote:

Just ignore him with the best of your ability. He wants to antagonize you and don't let him.

I'm trying to, believe me, but he makes it so hard (That's what she said!) Smiley Very Happy

Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
Message 39 of 43 (513 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 17, 2013

Sorry this ain't another Call of Duty, Halo game for you to run out, screaming at your friends "Ugh, headshot! Blasted that fool, smoked him with a pipe bomb, splattered his nads on the wall"

And "wow I can see jagged edges on this dudes nads, this game effin blows man!" When I go see a movie, I don't rate the movie based on "Wow they had lots awesomely rendered scenes, it looked effin real! 5 stars.. didn't have a effin clue what went on in the movie though" or go to a concert to say "Dude the lights sucked **bleep**, concert blew."

Nah dude, it's on gameplay, and what ND has done with this game is mind blowing. This is game of the **bleep** year, this beats COD, BF and any other **bleep** **bleep** typical shooter out of the water. 

Somebody please smack this guy.

Message 40 of 43 (496 Views)