Feb 16 2014
By: KingdomSlayah Hekseville Citizen 322 posts

Left Behind: Regarding the Infamous "Scene" and Understanding the World They Live in

18 replies 532 views Edited Feb 16, 2014

I've been seen a ton of people say that Ellie's "reveal" was unnecessary or didn't add to the narrative. I've also seen people wonder if Ellie and Riley are homosexual.

Here's the thing you guys have to understand:
Ellie never really had someone to love before Riley. Think about it; Anna, her mother, died a day after she was born, she met Marlene the same time as Riley, and she's constantly being transported to different schools. She's never had a parental figure (before Joel and to an extent, Marlene) and she's probably never been though anything involving love.

Ellie's 13 right now, most likely going through puberty in a world gone to **bleep**. You can't think of it from the stand point of today. You have to place yourselves in the survivor's shoes: living in a apocalyptic world. She doesn't really know how to show her love for Riley. They're both MORE than best friends because they finally found someone they can really connect and express themselves around with. Maybe not to the extent of being lovers, but it's no doubt that they love each other. Whether she's bisexual or just experimenting, that's up for interpretation. She can't be homosexual because of the events of the main game (Sam, Bill's book, etc) and she said that Winston was handsome. It's either she's bisexual or she's still going through the stage of learning. Remember, a ton of things we experienced as kids or teens may be drastically different in the world of The Last of Us.

In regards of whether or not the scene or necessary or not, I believe it was a great, shocking, and a bold move that adds to the narrative. Again, we have to remember they aren't living in the nice, sheltered life we have. Ellie's been basically alone her entire life and now she has someone to be with. She doesn't really understand what she feeling and wants a way to express her emotions. You could say that a hug could get the job done, but I think Naughty Dog wanted to further emphasis this connection they have with each other. Nonetheless, it was a bold move by Naughty Dog and I have to applaud them for having the courage to pull off something like this, especially with so much on the line.

When all have fallen, rise above the ashes.
Message 1 of 19 (532 Views)
I Only Post Everything
785 posts

Re: Left Behind: Regarding the Infamous "Scene" and Understanding the World They Live in

Feb 16, 2014

With this perfectly written summary, I really hope we can put this topic to rest.

It gave me a warm fuzzy feeling and that was it, no tedious 'is Ellie gay??' nonsense.

Message 2 of 19 (517 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Re: Left Behind: Regarding the Infamous "Scene" and Understanding the World They Live in

Feb 16, 2014

Well said! But do you remember Sam and Eliie? For some reason, their friendship almost reminded me of RIley's friendship. So I'm not so sure of making out Ellie to only be gay....?

young beard signature
Message 3 of 19 (507 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
322 posts

Feb 16, 2014

Remember what she told Sam? Her biggest fear in life is "being alone." I believe her biggest desire is just being with someone who loves her and vice versa. That's why she's so conflicted at the end of the main game. She's suffering from survivors guilt. She has a obligation to Riley to do everything she can to fight back at the infected, but at the same time, she's also obligated to Joel, who's life basically depends on her. If Joel were to lose Ellie, it would literally be the end of him.

Message 4 of 19 (501 Views)
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Feb 16, 2014

KingdomSlayah wrote:

Remember what she told Sam? Her biggest fear in life is "being alone." I believe her biggest desire is just being with someone who loves her and vice versa. That's why she's so conflicted at the end of the main game. She's suffering from survivors guilt. She has a obligation to Riley to do everything she can to fight back at the infected, but at the same time, she's also obligated to Joel, who's life basically depends on her. If Joel were to lose Ellie, it would literally be the end of him.

Exactly! It's as if people are forgetting about Sam. And in my opinion, she seems to have a connection with Sam because she couldn't 'fullfill' her obligation to Riley

young beard signature
Message 5 of 19 (488 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
780 posts

Feb 16, 2014
Very well said, guys. A single kiss isn't enough to to label anyone as anything. My personal impression is that the kiss was a combination of deep and intimate friendship, a harsh world pushing two people closer together, and the heartache of potentially losing someone you care about. At 14 years old these characters might not be able to articulate that in a sentence, so actions speak louder than words.
It wasn't necessarily "I (romantically) love you", it was "I don't want to lose you".
Message 6 of 19 (454 Views)
First Son
10 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2014

^

Of course Ellie and Riley are girls and girls have their own way of showing affection.. But i wonder if you would be saying the same thing if they were both boys in that scene..

Message 7 of 19 (443 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
322 posts

Feb 16, 2014

Boys are quite different from girls. Just saying.

Message 8 of 19 (435 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1642 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2014

KingdomSlayah wrote:

Boys are quite different from girls. Just saying.

Yessir, they are! You never see boys kissing boys to show appreciation, and if they do, they're either family (which most of the time it's a fistbump, or a hug) or they're gay. Girls on the other hand show affection alot differently. It's just the way everyone is programmed.

Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Message 9 of 19 (423 Views)
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

Feb 16, 2014

I wouldn't descrive it as "infamous". It seems people are trying to deliberately make it out to be somehting bigger than it was probably intended to.

It's ambigous and I think that was the intention. I don't see how anyone can say she definitely is or isn't homosexual/bisexual/hetrosexual.

Message 10 of 19 (401 Views)
0 Likes