Naughty Host
9665 posts

Re: Let's talk Listen Mode

Mar 24, 2013
I don't mind constructive criticism. It's just that people became completely disinterested in the game when they saw listen mode, which, IMO, is taking too far. As for me, I'm completely neutral to Listen Mode.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 91 of 206 (216 Views)
Lombax Warrior
130 posts

Mar 24, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:
I don't mind constructive criticism. It's just that people became completely disinterested in the game when they saw listen mode, which, IMO, is taking too far. As for me, I'm completely neutral to Listen Mode.

Any reaction is justified. Adam Sessler became so angered by God of War's Trophy "Bros before Hoes" that not only did he dock the review, Sony patched the trophy out. To ME, Adam's taking his offenses to far, but look what happened. The fact that this is causing more uproar than neutrality is an indication that ND should do something about it. If certain consumers (a lot actually) are willing to become COMPLETELY disinterested in a game because of one feature, it shows how much power that feature has in the game, and ND should seriously consider it's implementation. It's the same reactions about multiplayer in video games, DRM, micro-transactions, DLC season passes, etc. They are features that resonate HIGH emotions in groups of people, ESPECIALLY in specific contexts. 

In the context of this situation, this listen mode feature elicits high emotions in many individuals, a lot more than perhaps ND was anticipating. Those emotions should be addressed. 

Message 92 of 206 (209 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Mar 24, 2013

^ I agree completely.

Message 93 of 206 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1577 posts

Mar 24, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:

Now those people are just silly,I'm one who is against the Listen Mode and if they still decided to implement I would buy the game nonetheless,but like the others I'm giving out criticism and why the feature is bad and how they could fix it,and we simply want the option to turn it on/off or take it out. It's nice to know it's not finalized yet though.

Click click click click click click click click................... I need to get off the forums.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Signature created by GFXNinja/CyborgHippo
Message 94 of 206 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Host
9665 posts

Mar 24, 2013
Here are some guy's impression of it, from Neo Gaf:

I will apologize in advance for typing this on my phone.Alright guys time to stop this madness. I was at PAX east and actually played and beat the 30 minute demo. First thing to note is that this demo was the pre-alpha build. That being said I ran into no technical problems, save for some collision detection clipping at times. The game looks on par with the best this generation has to offer, especially the atmosphere which is just dripping with foreboding style. One of the things I took away from the demo was how intuitive and easy the crafting system was. There were set supplies lying around and if you opened your menu it would show you exactly what you could make with what you had and how many resources you had. It's simple when you are not in a tricky situation, but when you are among enemies it is so nerve wracking to try and craft something because you never know when they will turn that corner and spot you. Yes, you can use the listen mode but I never foun myself using that because I really needed to keep moving and finding supplies to craft because if you just go at it with fists you will likely die. The contextual combat is intense and brutal, and that manic nature fits the desperation of trying to survive.But stealth is really important especially when dealing with clickers. These guys are really scary and the sound design for them made my play through so intense. I can not state this enough how important it is to get your hit in or distract these guys and then hide. It's like Arkham asylum if Batman were really vulnerable. Only 10 percent of people actually finished the demo. The people who did beat it were not using the listen mode they were focusing on scavenging. The game is just super intense, and I felt more vulnerable in this game than I have in a long time. Those are just my opinions, and while you shouldn't overhype it, you really need to play this game, not watch it to understand why it is great.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 95 of 206 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
384 posts

Mar 24, 2013
 I really don't like this listen mode feature being in the last of us and I know people just tell me not to use it but I want an option to be able to turn it off. I don't want to feel tempted to use it the whole game and I don't want to feel like I'm hindering myself if I keep dying in the game. I just want an option before I start the game or in the options menu to turn listen mode off. Also I'm guessing that the hardest mode will have it turned off but I don't want to play the hardest mode on my first play through. I'm confident in naughty dog doing the right thing. They want there game to be very immersive and they know we want it to be too. So let's make listen mode optional! =D I think if we complain enough they will notice.
Message 96 of 206 (188 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1577 posts

Mar 24, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:

I will apologize in advance for typing this on my phone.Alright guys time to stop this madness. I was at PAX east and actually played and beat the 30 minute demo. First thing to note is that this demo was the pre-alpha build. That being said I ran into no technical problems, save for some collision detection clipping at times. The game looks on par with the best this generation has to offer, especially the atmosphere which is just dripping with foreboding style. One of the things I took away from the demo was how intuitive and easy the crafting system was. There were set supplies lying around and if you opened your menu it would show you exactly what you could make with what you had and how many resources you had. It's simple when you are not in a tricky situation, but when you are among enemies it is so nerve wracking to try and craft something because you never know when they will turn that corner and spot you. Yes, you can use the listen mode but I never foun myself using that because I really needed to keep moving and finding supplies to craft because if you just go at it with fists you will likely die. The contextual combat is intense and brutal, and that manic nature fits the desperation of trying to survive.But stealth is really important especially when dealing with clickers. These guys are really scary and the sound design for them made my play through so intense. I can not state this enough how important it is to get your hit in or distract these guys and then hide. It's like Arkham asylum if Batman were really vulnerable. Only 10 percent of people actually finished the demo. The people who did beat it were not using the listen mode they were focusing on scavenging. The game is just super intense, and I felt more vulnerable in this game than I have in a long time. Those are just my opinions, and while you shouldn't overhype it, you really need to play this game, not watch it to understand why it is great.

Thanks for the post,it was really interesting to read.

Click click click click click click click click................... I need to get off the forums.
Message 97 of 206 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1577 posts

Mar 24, 2013

themarcshark223 wrote:
 I really don't like this listen mode feature being in the last of us and I know people just tell me not to use it but I want an option to be able to turn it off. I don't want to feel tempted to use it the whole game and I don't want to feel like I'm hindering myself if I keep dying in the game. I just want an option before I start the game or in the options menu to turn listen mode off. Also I'm guessing that the hardest mode will have it turned off but I don't want to play the hardest mode on my first play through. I'm confident in naughty dog doing the right thing. They want there game to be very immersive and they know we want it to be too. So let's make listen mode optional! =D I think if we complain enough they will notice.

No one wants to complain,that's immature,childish,and silly,complaining will just make us look like some 10 year-olds,I recommend you read the past comments to see what we're trying to do,it's not complaining but criticism and suggestions,no one here is complaining,people who think we are simply don't know how to read or didn't bother to read the thread.

Message 98 of 206 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
130 posts

Mar 24, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:

Comforting. However, I personally know the tension levels for me would be more intense without the use of this feature, and I do not want to have it permanently on. So, a simpe confirmation of its ability to be toggled on/off would put my mind at ease and settle ALL qualms I have about this feature (although I still think it will impact the critics' opinions of the game, but that is under the subject of..."game's success"...not gameplay). 

Message 99 of 206 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

Mar 24, 2013

Thanks for the post Yems. That guy obviously knew what he was talking about. It's good to hear that stealth and scavenging are a vital part to success.

Hopefully this helps un-rustle some people jimmies.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 100 of 206 (171 Views)
0 Likes