Treasure Hunter
5070 posts

Re: Let's talk Listen Mode

Mar 24, 2013
I don't mind the listen mode feature. From reading some comments here, there's a drawback to using it so it kind of evens out. Also it's optional.

I guess some people just hate fun.
Message 11 of 206 (376 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Mar 24, 2013

thedeviant105 wrote:

Listen mode is not like detective mode in the Batman games, Joel can only see outline of enemies and objects which can be very vague versus the amount of detail and information detective mode provides.

What I meant by bat-vision is how easily they are switched on and off. In the video on the IGN website the player turns listen mode on and off while directly confronting the infected, to see which way the clicker was chasing him from. It didn't seem to pose as a liability at all. From the looks of it I personally won't like this, and it doesn't have anything to do with realism, I just like a challenge and this left a bad taste in my mouth.

But like I said, just my opinion. I can easily just not use it.

Message 12 of 206 (375 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
778 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2013

What I'd prefer (to keep the realism aspect in) Would for there to only be glowing footsteps or what they have alread done, a rippling effect of sound waves, rather than a perfect outline of what is behind the wall. If you ask me it'd be better without the outline, therefore I'd only know what I'm up against if I payed attention to the sounds they make or I actually looked at them from a distance. Having a "rough" idea of their location would make it somewhat scarier too.

Maybe this could e determined by difficulty?

Message 13 of 206 (374 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

Mar 24, 2013

Leave it be.  

It restricts your overall movement anyways, so it won't be cheap. The clickers are pretty deadly, if you saw the gameplay footage, if they spot you, they can be on you in a second. Having Listen Mode to be able to plan out your next move or evade the infected entirely is an important feature.  

Honestly, without it, the game would be alot harder than it already will be. Plus, the game probably won't force you to use it. So, people can use it if they want. 

I swear, people try to find the slightest things to whine about.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 14 of 206 (364 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2018 posts

Mar 24, 2013

dh0rmazine wrote:

thedeviant105 wrote:

Listen mode is not like detective mode in the Batman games, Joel can only see outline of enemies and objects which can be very vague versus the amount of detail and information detective mode provides.

What I meant by bat-vision is how easily they are switched on and off. In the video on the IGN website the player turns listen mode on and off while directly confronting the infected, to see which way the clicker was chasing him from. It didn't seem to pose as a liability at all. From the looks of it I personally won't like this, and it doesn't have anything to do with realism, I just like a challenge and this left a bad taste in my mouth.

Good point, I just have problems with the people who are immediately going to not buy the game just because there is a listen mode. It just seems ridiculous.

Message 15 of 206 (361 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Mar 24, 2013

I'm extremely disapointed in the implimintation of this x-ray vision feature.  I was really hoping this was going to be the survival/horror game I've been craving but seing this added in makes me worried it's not going to be anywhere near what I thought it was going to be. I really hope it's optional and I can turn it off because I hate games that do this. Only exception that I have found that did it right was the latest batman games. ANd well he's batman..

Naughty Dog plz make this optional not everyone wants the game made easier with x-ray vision.

Message 16 of 206 (354 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

Mar 24, 2013

Ribstaylor wrote:

I'm extremely disapointed in the implimintation of this x-ray vision feature.  I was really hoping this was going to be the survival/horror game I've been craving but seing this added in makes me worried it's not going to be anywhere near what I thought it was going to be. I really hope it's optional and I can turn it off because I hate games that do this. Only exception that I have found that did it right was the latest batman games. ANd well he's batman..

Naughty Dog plz make this optional not everyone wants the game made easier with x-ray vision.

It's Listen Mode, not X-Ray vision. Haha. It's a tatical feature implemented because the enemies are much more deadly. It's used to plan out your next move accordingly.  

It's obviously alot toned down in comparison to the Detective Mode in the Batman games. You should't dislike the game because of a feature, a feature I might add that you are not forced to use. The game is still going to be good, regardless of one feature. 

Message 17 of 206 (343 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1577 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2013

thedeviant105 wrote:

dh0rmazine wrote:

thedeviant105 wrote:

Good point, I just have problems with the people who are immediately going to not buy the game just because there is a listen mode. It just seems ridiculous.

If people are that dumb to not buy an amazing game than they really have some problems. Also why is everyone thinking they're going to force you to use this function? At most they're just going to have a part in the game where it just shows you how to use it.

Click click click click click click click click................... I need to get off the forums.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Signature created by GFXNinja/CyborgHippo
Message 18 of 206 (340 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

Mar 24, 2013

Optional features be wrecking my game. Start up the boycott threads again.

Message 19 of 206 (330 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2013

thedeviant105 wrote:

dh0rmazine wrote:

thedeviant105 wrote:

That would be ridiculous. This is by no means a game breaking feature at all. I just think it could be tweaked a bit to add strategical value that's all.

@Lt_K4RL0S - Footsteps alone would be pretty awesome. and yeah, I'm hoping that listen mode plays a role in whatever difficulty setting you're playing on as well.

Message 20 of 206 (326 Views)
0 Likes