Lombax Warrior
153 posts

Re: Let's talk Listen Mode

Mar 24, 2013

CyborgHippo wrote:

Rogue_Eagle wrote:
Yeah, I don't want it there, but for me it's more tolerable because your enemy is MUCH smarter than an AI. So, simply knowing where a human player is doesn't have AS much advantage as knowing where an AI is. AI behavior is predictable, so once you know where they are, you already know how they'll act. Human players aren't like that. Even though you know where they are, they could still surprise you. Either way, I don't want it, but it's much more tolerable to me in multiplayer because humans are smarter than computers. It's just cheap, though, for the person who gets jumped by it. Basically situational awareness all over again.

The Listen Mode will ruin the intensity of epic stealth battle on Multiplayer so even if they are smarter still don't want it. Also I wish  they would change it to a ripple effect as a person said on another thread since if they really wnted to make the game harder and AIs smarter,they could make the AIs throw bottles/bricks to trick you,because you shouldn't be the only one allowed to do that type of stuff and it seems like they'll never try to trick the main character because obviously you'll just see their outline,I'm actually debating if I should use it or not and wish there is an option to turn it off along with a trophy for beating the game without using it.

Agreed with everything. This "listen mode" should have been sound waves, not a visual GPS. People are smart enough to hear something and know where it is WITHOUT seeing it. This should be the same here. If we need help, though, we can activate listen mode and see where sound waves are bouncing from. It'd be MUCH more realistic, because since it's electronic, maybe you really didn't know what direction the sound was coming from, you simply hear the sound. Seeing something through the wall just totally ruins it, though.

Gosh, I'm just REALLY disappointed and actually quite frustrated at this feature. It's so...pointless. 

Message 31 of 206 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5220 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:
I saw people complaining on youtube that this feature is a deal breaker for them and, as a result, will not buy the game. Should I be worried?

No. To me it's far from being a deal-breaker although I find it weird how they implemented that. Could have been better to do soundwaves or something similar.

I need to try it out before I jump the bandwagon. To me it's a way to detect enemies and try stealth your way through. If you don't want to use the feature obviously don't push the R2 button. They could implement the option to disable it due to the feedback here. I think there should still be time to do so in that case but to me no it isn't a deal breaker.

I would say my only worry is if it makes it to MP as I'm sure people would not be happy if it makes it in there.

Message 32 of 206 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1577 posts

Mar 24, 2013

Rogue_Eagle wrote:

AKyemeni wrote:
I saw people complaining on youtube that this feature is a deal breaker for them and, as a result, will not buy the game. Should I be worried?

Honestly, I just REALLY, REALLY want to know why ND even considered implementing this feature. Seriously, I'm not joking. I wish they'd make a whole video about it just so we can see what their mindset was. The only thing I've ever heard them say about it is that it's supposed to be used for tactical reasons. However, reading my long post above kind of shows how this feature actually defeats that purpose A LOT, especially for a game like this. 

It was just a really, REALLY dumb feature to ad in my opinion. Optional or not, the fact that it exists, to me, is just stupid. You don't need it to play the game. It doesn't add any value to it. It changes the experience...but the problem with that new experience is that it is COMPELTELY different from the original experience tone-wise and suspense-wise. It changes the attitude of the game, all with just a press of a button. 

Thinking about the footage I watched like the one when Joel got surprised when he saw their were survivors seems useless now... I actually didn't mind at first but it does seem odd now,sure it has its disadvantages,but..... Yeah I see where you're going now,it's not really a needed system and takes out the surprise factor of the game. I'm assuming this was recently added though since there was another gameplay footage where Joel was in an dark room and he had to sneak around and they didn't bother using that feature,hopefully they can still take it out,maybe if we can get enough people to ask them if you could turn it off,if it will be in Multiplayer and such,they'll reply.

Click click click click click click click click................... I need to get off the forums.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Signature created by GFXNinja/CyborgHippo
Message 33 of 206 (227 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1577 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2013

Rogue_Eagle wrote:

CyborgHippo wrote:

Rogue_Eagle wrote:
Yeah, I don't want it there, but for me it's more tolerable because your enemy is MUCH smarter than an AI. So, simply knowing where a human player is doesn't have AS much advantage as knowing where an AI is. AI behavior is predictable, so once you know where they are, you already know how they'll act. Human players aren't like that. Even though you know where they are, they could still surprise you. Either way, I don't want it, but it's much more tolerable to me in multiplayer because humans are smarter than computers. It's just cheap, though, for the person who gets jumped by it. Basically situational awareness all over again.

The Listen Mode will ruin the intensity of epic stealth battle on Multiplayer so even if they are smarter still don't want it. Also I wish  they would change it to a ripple effect as a person said on another thread since if they really wnted to make the game harder and AIs smarter,they could make the AIs throw bottles/bricks to trick you,because you shouldn't be the only one allowed to do that type of stuff and it seems like they'll never try to trick the main character because obviously you'll just see their outline,I'm actually debating if I should use it or not and wish there is an option to turn it off along with a trophy for beating the game without using it.

Agreed with everything. This "listen mode" should have been sound waves, not a visual GPS. People are smart enough to hear something and know where it is WITHOUT seeing it. This should be the same here. If we need help, though, we can activate listen mode and see where sound waves are bouncing from. It'd be MUCH more realistic, because since it's electronic, maybe you really didn't know what direction the sound was coming from, you simply hear the sound. Seeing something through the wall just totally ruins it, though.

Gosh, I'm just REALLY disappointed and actually quite frustrated at this feature. It's so...pointless. 

Not pointless but cheap. I really just hope you can turn it off,the sound waves makes much more sense too,or like you said just plain old listening,reason why I love the Bioshock series,it requires you to listen to the enemies (Splicers) and their footsteps,no fancy outlining either,much more realistic and it gives you an option to turn off the respawn along with gaining a trophy for beating the game without it,I'm not going to include the "realism" factor though since I'm pretty sure there's no game in this world that doesn't have SOME "fiction". On the other hand I just hope Naughty Dog knows what they're doing,they were doing fine until they decided to include that "Listen" mode,he's not even listening in the first,if he was he would be placing his ear against the wall/floor like I have saide numerous times,and he's basically staring at nothing when using this mode...

Let's just pray Naughty Dog is doing what's right for the game. It was perfectly fine as it was at first too in my opinion...

(3:19)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbLOokeC3VU Now THAT is some listening right there at 3:19

Click click click click click click click click................... I need to get off the forums.
Message 34 of 206 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
768 posts

Mar 24, 2013
I swear gamers this gen are freakin whinners. They whine about EVERYTHING! If I was on geogaf, I will tell them "Listen mode" is OPTIONAL! Just like Tomb Raider's "Survival Sense", you can either turn it on or off.

Message 35 of 206 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1577 posts

Mar 24, 2013

loakum wrote:
I swear gamers this gen are freakin whinners. They whine about EVERYTHING! If I was on geogaf, I will tell them "Listen mode" is OPTIONAL! Just like Tomb Raider's "Survival Sense", you can either turn it on or off.

There were plenty of complainers in the past gaming generation too? Catridges were easily broken,sometimes if slightly moved your files were deleted therefore starting over again,some games had bugs/freezes and there were no patches to fix it and probably many more. We all know it's optional,but it's an unneeded feature they could hopefully replace with something else,OR like many of us wanted,change it so it makes more sense. When did staring into deep space let you look at enemies from the side of the wall that you're not even looking towards? Again,SOUND RIPPLES or confirmation if we can turn off this features,there's not exactly any confirmation on this yet. 

Message 36 of 206 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

Mar 24, 2013

loakum wrote:

I mean, yeah, but the whole fact that it just doesn't fit AT ALL with this game is what's bugging me. Plus, it's the fact that it should not be an option to turn it OFF, but rather ON. Meaning, this game SHOULD NOT start out with this feature activated. It takes away the tension of battle. It takes away the discovery of finding out who your enemy is. It negates the purpose of the sound effects of this game (why hear a clicker when you can just see it?). It does so many negative things to the experience that it shouldn't be ON to begin with. It should be OFF, because it takes away from the experience when turned ON.

Optional or not, it shouldn't be ON from the start. It should be OFF with the choice of turning it ON. Plus, people enjoy having similar experiences with each other to talk about them, especially in story-focussed video games. So, when one person's experience is completely ruined by something from another, it just isn't fun to talk about. It's like..."Hey, did you find that part with the three clickers really hard!?!" "No, I was able to see them through listen mode and just stealthed my way through it easily. It was one of the easiest parts of the game."...."Oh, well, I didn't use listen mode and it was really difficult. A super good challenge." It's that type of difference that is bothersome, which is why I argue this shouldn't even be in...optional or not. It doesn't allow people to share the same experience of tension and suspense, nor difficulty and achievement. It's like implementing an easy mode in Dark Souls or something. It's pointless, and actually detracts from the game. 

And, no reason to call us whiners. We're all creative people. It's not like our inputs are undeserved or anything. If we were talking about developing code or something, yearh, we wouldn't have much validity. However, everyone has an opinion when it comes to a creative aspect to something. It's called critiqe. This creative aspect, to me, is dumb and pointless. Therefore, I personally advise ND to remove it. There are others who agree, and others who disagree. 

Message 37 of 206 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
583 posts

Mar 24, 2013
You don't have to use it if you don't want to.
Message 38 of 206 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

Mar 24, 2013

Cmdr_Firezone38 wrote:
You don't have to use it if you don't want to.

But eventually you would be tempted to.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde
Message 39 of 206 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2013

Dear Naughty Dog... TAKE LISTEN MODE OUT PLEASE!

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde
Message 40 of 206 (173 Views)
0 Likes