Reply
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 09/13/2011
Offline
132 posts
 

Re: Let's talk Listen Mode

Mar 24, 2013

Cmdr_Firezone38 wrote:
You don't have to use it if you don't want to.

No one had to play Tomb Raider's multiplayer if they didn't want to, but it actually detracted from the experience and critics bashed it and considered it a fault of the game rather than simply an "added feature" like you describe this as. Just because it is an optional feature doesn't mean it doesn't do any harm to a game. This feature could very well detract from this game's merit due to it negating the tension and suspense of combat and the entire tone of the game, optional or not. It's mere existence has an impact on the package, and it's a BIG impact when you stop and consider it. 

 

Basically, imagine playing Batman Arkham city WITHOUT detective vision. Makes the experience MUCH different, but the tone still stays the same (you still feel like a predator). In this, not only does the experience change with or without listen mode, but the tone does as well (you go from feeling vulernable to BEING the predator). 

Message 41 of 206 (211 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 10/26/2008
Offline
768 posts
 

Re: Let's talk Listen Mode

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2013

I just find it very eliteist of anyone to request Naughty Dog to remove any OPTIONAL feature, just because YOU don't like it. When you could simply NOT use it, in the first place! There are plenty of gamers who will like and prefer this feature! BTW, gamers didn't whine in the previous gens like they do this gen! We blew in our cartledges, we wiggled our electric power cords, and we simply played the friggin games! Now whinners (gamers this gen) are starting petitions or complaining on social media outlets, for the slightest thing! It's really annoying.



.
Message 42 of 206 (209 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 02/02/2012
Offline
391 posts
 

Re: Let's talk Listen Mode

Mar 24, 2013

A clever idea, bad execution

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde
Message 43 of 206 (203 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 09/13/2011
Offline
132 posts
 

Re: Let's talk Listen Mode

Mar 24, 2013

loakum wrote:
I just find it very eliteist of anyone to request Naughty Dog to remove any OPTIONAL feature, just because YOU don't like it. When you could simply NOT use it, in the first place! There are plenty of gamers who will like and prefer this feature! BTW, gamers didn't whine the previous gens like they do this gen! We blew in our cartledges, we wiggled our electric power cords, and we simply played the friggin games! Now whinners are starting petetions or complaining on social media outlets, for the slightest thing!

Well, we did whine, but we knew nothing could happen because of it. Now, we know if we whine, something might actually happen to change it. However, I would say it's not whining. It's public opinion and critique. And, as I said to another poster, just because an optional feature is added doesn't mean it doesn't negate the experience. If that was the case, then any single player game that has multiplayer in it should not be judged by that, because you don't HAVE to play the multiplayer (Bioshock, God of War, Tomb Raider, Spec Ops the line, etc.) However, all those games got judged as a whole entire package, multiplayer and all, and the multiplayer effected the outcome of the game...even though it is completely optional if a player wants to play it. 

 

So, just because something is optional doesn't mean it doesn't detract or add to the experience. In this case, I strongly think this optional feature DETRACTS from the experience more than adds to it, so it shouldn't even exist. 

 

If ANYTHING, they should add it as a bonus thing for beating the game. Like in Uncharted, the flip-mirror and such. Listen mode. That way you'll have A LOT more tension in combat your first playthrough, like they want the tone of this game to be.  

Message 44 of 206 (194 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 01/26/2013
Offline
1577 posts
 

Re: Let's talk Listen Mode

Mar 24, 2013

loakum wrote:

I just find it very eliteist of anyone to request Naughty Dog to remove any OPTIONAL feature, just because YOU don't like it. When you could simply NOT use it, in the first place! There are plenty of gamers who will like and prefer this feature! BTW, gamers didn't whine in the previous gens like they do this gen! We blew in our cartledges, we wiggled our electric power cords, and we simply played the friggin games! Now whinners (gamers this gen) are starting petitions or complaining on social media outlets, for the slightest thing! It's really annoying.


It's not elitist to request Naughty Dog to take out an specific feature in a game,there are many reviewers in the world who take even the slightest things wrong with the game and use it to give the game lower rating,as stated above,some games who had an multiplayer function ruined ratings for the game,you didn't have to play it,just leave it alone,but it still affected ratings. I'm willing to bet money that this function will ruin the ratings for this game.

Click click click click click click click click................... I need to get off the forums.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Signature created by GFXNinja/CyborgHippo
Message 45 of 206 (190 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 06/15/2012
Offline
2562 posts
 

Re: Let's talk Listen Mode

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2013

loakum wrote:

I just find it very eliteist of anyone to request Naughty Dog to remove any OPTIONAL feature, just because YOU don't like it. When you could simply NOT use it, in the first place! There are plenty of gamers who will like and prefer this feature! BTW, gamers didn't whine in the previous gens like they do this gen! We blew in our cartledges, we wiggled our electric power cords, and we simply played the friggin games! Now whinners (gamers this gen) are starting petitions or complaining on social media outlets, for the slightest thing! It's really annoying.


There's a difference between whining and being passionate about something. The last few pages of this thread look more like passionate criticism for an awesome game rather than whining.

 

Hopefully listen mode doesn't look as ridiculous in the finalized version. I remember back when then E3 demo was first released, we had a few discussion here of the "glowing/lit up items" and how immersive that was going to be. Then it turns out that the effect wasn't even carried over to more modernized versions of the game. So I won't judge listen mode too heavily until I see more modern renditions of it. One thing is for sure though if it stays as it appears to be in this pre-alpha gameplay I will be reconfiguring my controller so as to never accidentally use it Smiley LOL

Message 46 of 206 (182 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 01/25/2012
Online
634 posts
 

Re: Let's talk Listen Mode

Mar 24, 2013

@Rogue_Eagle brings up some good points on this, kudos to you by the way mate. I was hoping this game would be fairly difficult because of it's clear concept of being a survivor. I want to actually have to use my witts that I slowly built from other stealth games, be smart, have to predict their movement rather than actually knowing it. For the supporters of Listen mode, think about this. All of the gameplay vids we've seen, which was your favourite? The first E3 one because of tension? Or the first infected one we saw? They both had the one thing in common. Listen mode was not present. Now think back to those awesome bits in the E3 demo. When Joel walks through a doorway and immediately gets smacked with a pipe. This, is no longer going to happen to you because you'd know he's right there. Having to take note of how many there are and what they're carrying, is no longer neccessary. You'll know the moment they spawn.

 

Of course there's the argument on how the clickers are one hit kill. Regardless, it's really not that hard to evade blind  patrolling creatures given the ability to create distractions or perform a stealth kill and I've never had trouble pushing the analogue stick slighty forward to make less noise.

 

Seeing through walls stains the whole concept of being an average Joe with limited resources. As said by Rogue_Eagle, we're no longer a survivor but a Predator. Kills the theme of being just like them, instead you are always the superior one.

Message 47 of 206 (169 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 03/24/2013
Offline
317 posts
 

Re: Let's talk Listen Mode

Mar 24, 2013
Hideo Kojima's threat ring from MGS4 where it shows ebbs and flows whenever there was a nearby enemy would have been nice here.

Other than that...i guess i can dig Joel's spidey sense. I'm gonna try my best not to make it tingle when i play this game though.
"If your choice is to save me over everybody else in the world then...ok. I trust you now and let’s live life.." ~TheVulcanSalute
Message 48 of 206 (168 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 10/26/2008
Offline
768 posts
 

Re: Let's talk Listen Mode

Mar 24, 2013
Well, we're just gonna agree to disagree on this one. I don't put much stock in any optional features, when I could simply use it or not. But hey, to each it's own. Also, I don't base my opinion of a game, based off what some bloke writes, or scores a game in a review. That's just their opinion. The only opinion, that's important to me, as a gamer, is my own. Peace.


.
Message 49 of 206 (166 Views)
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 01/26/2013
Offline
1577 posts
 

Re: Let's talk Listen Mode

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2013

loakum wrote:
Well, we're just gonna agree to disagree on this one. I don't put much stock in any optional features, when I could simply use it or not. But hey, to each it's own. Also, I don't base my opinion of a game, based off what some bloke writes, or scores a game in a review. That's just their opinion. The only opinion, that's important to me, as a gamer, is my own. Peace.

We wouldn't really had said anything if you said "ALL" gamers were complainers in this generation. Like I said everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I respect that. Also reviews is everything,if you're in the gaming industries reviews are major,it's one of the only reason your game sells,so whatever you say,I just know I won't be wasting 50$ on The Walking Dead: Survival Instincts since I was planning on buying it.

Click click click click click click click click................... I need to get off the forums.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Signature created by GFXNinja/CyborgHippo
Message 50 of 206 (162 Views)
Reply
0 Likes