Uncharted Territory
1577 posts

Re: Let's talk Listen Mode

Mar 24, 2013

rickyEfs_97 wrote:

About a year ago Gameinformer did a special coverage for The Last of Us. They had a lot of interviews with ND about the various aspects of the game, and among them there was an article titled "Why Audio Matters In The Last of Us". Click in the link to check out what they were planning to do with the propagation of sound but apparently didn't, so now we have to use this annoying Listen Mode.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/02/15/why-audio-matters-in-the-last-of-us.aspx

Thanks for the link

Click click click click click click click click................... I need to get off the forums.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Signature created by GFXNinja/CyborgHippo
Please use plain text.
Message 71 of 206 (3,422 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
763 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2013

blackdelage wrote:

BaNo1990 wrote:

IF U DONT LIKE LISTEN MODE THEN JUST DONT USE IT AND STOP CRYING!!

It's actually easy saying "Nike, Just Don't Do It" ...  I am probably part of the few that would take an oath that I won't use any kind of hack.

I said the same thing about Hitman & Tomb Raider's version of "Instinct"....that I wouldn't touch it.

But I did anyway. Not because I'm a noob or anything...every game I play...I go straight to the hardest difficulty. Always.

It's just that you can't help yourself pressing that hack if it's there. I would prefer it if there was an option to take it off altogether.

Good point. You chose the optional feature to play it on the hardest difficulty. Which is the point I was making to the others in this thread about the listening mode. They keep arguing, it ruins the "realism" "and "immersion"....when they could simply not use it, since they feel that way. Just for the record, I never touched Tomb Raider's "Survival Sense", because you could basically see what to do next, without it.  (just like I plan on not using TLOU "Listening Mode" simply because I like a challenge.) ^_^

Please use plain text.
Message 72 of 206 (3,191 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

Mar 24, 2013

CyborgHippo wrote:

rickyEfs_97 wrote:

About a year ago Gameinformer did a special coverage for The Last of Us. They had a lot of interviews with ND about the various aspects of the game, and among them there was an article titled "Why Audio Matters In The Last of Us". Click in the link to check out what they were planning to do with the propagation of sound but apparently didn't, so now we have to use this annoying Listen Mode.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/02/15/why-audio-matters-in-the-last-of-us.aspx

Thanks for the link

You're welcome

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde
Please use plain text.
Message 73 of 206 (2,747 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
763 posts

Mar 24, 2013

rickyEfs_97 wrote:

Just because TLOU has the optional Listening Mode, don't mean they omitted the "propagation of sound" audio sound feature.  Whose to say it won't have both?

Please use plain text.
Message 74 of 206 (1,637 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2344 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2013

rickyEfs_97 wrote:

I guarantee you sound will still be fantastic in this game regardless of listen mode. Arne just about gave himself an aneurism how many times he emphasized how good the sound is going to be in the gamespot interview we saw today :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 75 of 206 (603 Views)
First Son
18 posts

Mar 24, 2013

I lost a lot of interest in this game once I saw the listen mode. The atmosphere present in their original videos was amazing. Listen mode ruins it all.  Even hitman did this... and I turned it off because I actually like to think about how to aprouch a level and have to deal with real problems then have them all swept under the rug because I saw the guy through the wall before moving in or taking a certain route. This takes away from the experience so much. I understand it's for people who can't be bothered to actually work at getting through a game by thinking critically, but the large amount of people that don't want this tension and style of play taken away don't want this feature.

As long as I can unmap this feature from my controller I will be happy. I don't even want the chance to use it because in sticky situations I will if it's mapped to such a distinct button such as R2.   It's such a disapointment to see this implimented. I was really hoping we were going to see a classic survival/horror/action game for once and I now really doubt that's going to be the case. Seems now they've dumbed it down for the masses making it easier for those oh so impatient cod fans.

Please use plain text.
Message 76 of 206 (149 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7510 posts

Mar 24, 2013
This thread escalated quickly...

Please use plain text.
Message 77 of 206 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

Mar 24, 2013

I know right? I went to sleep and came back. 

40 new replies. Guys got busy.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Please use plain text.
Message 78 of 206 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Mar 24, 2013

Alright, I know everyone here is saying it's optinal, but where exactly has ND ever said this? Have they ever directly said you can turn it off, or by optional, are players simply referring to "don't EVER press the button." If it's the last one, that's like saying go through resistance or halo without ever touching the jump button. It's a button on the controller that serves no primary value, but it's a button none the less. People will use it whether they want to or not. It's a gamer's nature to press all the buttons during any game. Plus, it's much more aggrivating going through a game forcing yourself to not press a button on the controller rather than not even worrying about the button, pressed or not.

Now, if ND has said it's completely optional and you can turn it on or off, that's cool. I just have never heard them say this, so it's kinda worrying me. I do not want to go through this game forcing myself to ignore R2 or L2, or whatever button it was.  

Please use plain text.
Message 79 of 206 (133 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2013

Ya if it's mapped onto my controller and theirs no way to turn it off I will eventually use it in a sticky situation, It's like going a game not using grenades the hole time then you get swarmed and your like screw it I need to use grenades. And because it's mapped you use it.  The same will go for Listen mode. This feature needs to be completely optional.

Im really worried this Listen mode has possibly changed the way level design was thought out.  My hopes for a good survival horror game, a genre we haven't seen in awhile fell so much because of this feature. I have yet to hear this feature is optional so untill I do I'm assuming it isn't and im disapointed that's for sure.

Please use plain text.
Message 80 of 206 (159 Views)
0 Likes