Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

Re: Let's talk Listen Mode

Mar 24, 2013

I think this current version of Listen Mode could very well be an enhanced version of the real Listen Mode (which could be obtained by a Medal-like system) . They could fix it by omitting environmental sound and focusing on the noises that the infected emit.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde
Message 81 of 206 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
11606 posts

Mar 24, 2013
It's damage control time: they are pictures on Twitter that show that, before the demo starts, the demo is Alpha, meaning that nothing is finalized. And this demo is months old. Nothing in this demo is finalized, including listen mode and the UI. Everyone just keep that in mind before going emotional.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 82 of 206 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
11606 posts

Mar 24, 2013
This is pasted from the other thread

It's damage control time: they are pictures on Twitter that show that, before the demo starts, the demo is Alpha, meaning that nothing is finalized. And this demo is months old. Nothing in this demo is finalized, including listen mode and the UI. Everyone just keep that in mind before going emotional.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 83 of 206 (137 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Mar 24, 2013

We aren't getting emotional. Were just giving constructive critizism.  If we complain now before the game goes gold it's possible naughty dog will make it optional if it isn't all ready. Good to get your voice heard before the release then after it when you have zero impact.

Message 84 of 206 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2018 posts

Mar 24, 2013

Rogue_Eagle wrote:

Alright, I know everyone here is saying it's optinal, but where exactly has ND ever said this? Have they ever directly said you can turn it off, or by optional, are players simply referring to "don't EVER press the button." If it's the last one, that's like saying go through resistance or halo without ever touching the jump button. It's a button on the controller that serves no primary value, but it's a button none the less. People will use it whether they want to or not. It's a gamer's nature to press all the buttons during any game. Plus, it's much more aggrivating going through a game forcing yourself to not press a button on the controller rather than not even worrying about the button, pressed or not.

Now, if ND has said it's completely optional and you can turn it on or off, that's cool. I just have never heard them say this, so it's kinda worrying me. I do not want to go through this game forcing myself to ignore R2 or L2, or whatever button it was.  

Not unless if you want to challenge yourself. In addition, comparing a visual change versus jumping is incongruent. Their functions are not the same so how is the importance similar? Jumping is important for traversal while Listen mode is purely a visual assist.

Message 85 of 206 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2018 posts

Mar 24, 2013

Ribstaylor wrote:

We aren't getting emotional. Were just giving constructive critizism.  If we complain now before the game goes gold it's possible naughty dog will make it optional if it isn't all ready. Good to get your voice heard before the release then after it when you have zero impact.

No, it is silly when people start boycotting a game just because of one function in a game. Then, that is not constructive critcism, but rather whining.

Message 86 of 206 (127 Views)
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

Mar 24, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:

That's the ONLY thing I'm basing my hopes on. Maybe it has changed, but for me, it needs to change dramatically. It cannot be the silhouette. Heck, in a gamespot interview, he said it's supposed to be a visual representation of sound. What the heck is that supposed to mean? A visual representation is a visual representation. It's like saying..guess what animal makes this noi--OH, here is a picture of it before you can guess! A visual representation of a noise COMPLETELY rids purpose of the noise. You don't need the noise if you have an obvious visual representation of it.

Now, if it was soundwaves, that would be 100x better, because waves are not obvious visual representations. They're location devices. 

And it'd be smart for ND to address this now with the public, because revealing certain features as time goes along causes different reactions. When taking no action to quell those reactions, they stay with the consumer base until they are solved or addressed. If that is a day, a week, or a month before the game launches, that could very well be too late, and people would continue to be turned off by this game and ignore any new information, because none came when the problem or disinterest arose. 

Message 87 of 206 (125 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2018 posts

Mar 24, 2013
Message 88 of 206 (122 Views)
First Son
18 posts

Mar 24, 2013
Ya I don't see where I said anything about boycotting this game.. In any of my posts. And this is why forums like these exist so the company behind it can look at it and get feedback. So I'll keep giving my constructive criticism.
Message 89 of 206 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

Mar 24, 2013

thedeviant105 wrote:

Rogue_Eagle wrote:

Alright, I know everyone here is saying it's optinal, but where exactly has ND ever said this? Have they ever directly said you can turn it off, or by optional, are players simply referring to "don't EVER press the button." If it's the last one, that's like saying go through resistance or halo without ever touching the jump button. It's a button on the controller that serves no primary value, but it's a button none the less. People will use it whether they want to or not. It's a gamer's nature to press all the buttons during any game. Plus, it's much more aggrivating going through a game forcing yourself to not press a button on the controller rather than not even worrying about the button, pressed or not.

Now, if ND has said it's completely optional and you can turn it on or off, that's cool. I just have never heard them say this, so it's kinda worrying me. I do not want to go through this game forcing myself to ignore R2 or L2, or whatever button it was.  

Not unless if you want to challenge yourself. In addition, comparing a visual change versus jumping is incongruent. Their functions are not the same so how is the importance similar? Jumping is important for traversal while Listen mode is purely a visual assist.

Ok, sprint is a better example. Play any game that has sprint without sprint. You don't NEED to sprint...ever. Players just do it because it makes thing easier. You're taking my argument too literal. It doesn't matter the difference between visual or functional. It matters because they are both features that don't serve a direct purpose in the game. However, because they exist as a button on the controller, it will be used unless it is conditionally put into gamers minds that the button serves no purpose. If a button serves a purpose, gamers will use the button, whether often or not, they WILL use it. If the button serves no purpose, it conditions the brain to ignore the button completely. But this conditioning can't come unless the button can be pressed with no action being instigated. If you can press the button and still have action, then you're brain won't be conditioned to ignore it. 

So, ND has to make this conditioning process work by making it a toggle in the options rather than a permanent button on the controller. That way they don't frustrate people who don't want to play with this feature by forcing themselves to battle with not pressing the button. It's a mental thing. 

Message 90 of 206 (189 Views)
0 Likes