Jul 10 2013
By: dark19484 First Son 5 posts

Low localization quality

13 replies 447 views Edited Jul 10, 2013

Hello! 

The Russian versions of both Uncharted, and now, The Last Of Us is very poorly localized. The quality of translation and voice acting sometimes is way below average, if not horrible. Many phrases are translated incorrectly, and sometimes  fully lost their meaning and emotional sense. =( This is very unfortunate, because the games are awesome, and people who do not know English well should play and feel them as developers want them to feel, not some **bleep** translator and low-level localization director, who even can`t tell the actors how to properly voice the characters. 

Decided to drop this here, so Naughty Dog might read it and consider this issue in their future games.

Thanks for 4 masterpiece games now, keep up the great work!

Message 1 of 14 (447 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
199 posts

Re: Low localization quality

Jul 10, 2013

You should try the European Portuguese audio... its hilarious!

Voices hardly match the character ages and sound goofy.

UC3 was bit better in that area. I still prefer to hear the original voices anyway.

Editor/Organizer
Message 2 of 14 (417 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 10, 2013

The problem is not in the voices, but in emotions and the translation itself. The key elements of game are corrupted. The name of resistance gorup "Fireflies" are changed to Locust (Cicade). The slogan "Look for the light" is replaced with "Listen to Cicades". The graffity of firefies makes no sense with that translation, and the key sense of the name itself - bring the light to people in desperate times, are totally lost. What is it now - bring the noise?! Seriosly?  And it is only a small bit of it.

Message 3 of 14 (407 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
199 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 10, 2013

Oh, they know better than to change names here in Portugal. They wont even translate names here "Fireflies" stay "Fireflies" instead of being translated (into "pirilampos" or whatever).

That is weird really.  Is there any cultural reason to change such things?

Editor/Organizer
Message 4 of 14 (404 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 10, 2013

Its better not to translate self-names at all, it makes more sence, then to corrupt and totally change them.

The translation Fireflies to Locust are nothing more than "creative" vision of a bad translator wannabe, who is trying to be smarter than  writers of the original. Such translators can completely change meanings of words and phrases, change emotional color of whole situation and make it just look absurd to reader/viewer. That is wery bad practice, and need to change, IMHO.

Message 5 of 14 (399 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
564 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 10, 2013

Well, I am Finnish and there are Finnish subtitles (no voice acting), but I still prefer using English subtitles with English audio (even if there was Finnish one), mainly because English is usually how it is supposed to be played. And I, forgive my pride, am reasonably good in English, so I have no need to use it any Finnish.

I did try Finnish subtitles at one point however, and they did make reasonable sense even when it's considered to be one of the hardest languages to learn that is not Cyrillic or in other letters than what... normal... letters are. They have changed e.g. Fireflies to the Finnish name, but it's not that bad. What is more annoying that it's not considered as a faction (written like "fireflies" instead of "Fireflies"), small point but noticed it.

tl;dr - OP, you seem to be good in English, so why not use English? Smiley Tongue

I have acquired the grade of Master in The Last of Us story/character/game knowledge as I have played it through 9 times.

... I have no life.
Message 6 of 14 (351 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 10, 2013

I`m usually playing all games in English, but some of them automatically turns on Russian if psn profile is Russian or ps3 system language is set to Russian (Heavy Rain or Infamous for example), and won`t let me change it at all. Thankfully the ND games comes with option to choose the language I prefer. I`m actually noticed the low quality of localization when my wife tried to play the game, as she played it with Russian voices and texts. To me it seemed like completely different game, and bad one, with bold writing and average to low voice acting. 

My point was to let the ND know that they make great games, but bunch of people here in CIS (local distributor who is responsible fro localization) is doing their jobs not so good, and making their games look worse then they actually are. And some people who don`t know English well are missing many elements and details of the games. I`m sure that ND is not responsible for the localization quality at all, but if they can tell the right people to get their jobs done better - will be the benefit for my country.

Message 7 of 14 (337 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
476 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 10, 2013

I'm french and i haven't played a game with french audio for years, always feels it take away some of the experience, even more as those kind of titles have the voice actor doing motion capture which create a better result than simple voice acting as far as i'm concerned.

Works the same way with japenese game, i hates it when i'm only left with the english dub.

Movie, games etc all tends to be better played with a VO setup.

Message 8 of 14 (276 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
17603 posts

Jul 10, 2013
Examples.

[ 39 ] Every time a mine downs someone an Angel gets its wings.
Message 9 of 14 (270 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 11, 2013

Well, i`m not going to analyze the whole game, i`m just don`t have time for it. But maybe i will, eventually. But here is some examples from the prologue section, maybe they are not critical, but still...

In the beginning, when Joel talks on the phone with Tommy:

original: I can`t loose this jod

in Russian translation: I need this job - here it sound like he`s not working at all, and wants to get a job

When Sara gives Joel birthday present:

original: you kept complaining about your broken watch, so i figured...

in Russian: your watch broke, so i figured... - the complaining about the watch is totally gone

When Sara reads the SMS from Tommy:

original: - where the hell are you? call me. on my way.

in Russian: - where the hell are you? call me. i`m going. - who`s going where? 

When Tommy drives in and talks about outbreak:

original: some sort of parasite or something`

in Russian: some sort of infection - no parasites, just some sort of infection

When they drive in the car past farmhouse and Tommy sees the fire:

original: Now they `re going on about East Coast, the West Coast...Holly Hell. That`s Louises farm.

in Russian: Now they `re going on about East Coast, the West Coast, it`s hell out there...That`s Louise`s farm. - he says just "That`s Louise`s farm" like he's OK with the fact that it`s on fire.

In the car, when they talk about infection:

original:

They said it`s just ah, people in the city. We`re good.

Didn't`t  Jimmy work in the city?             

in Russian:

They said it`s just the locals. We`re good.

But Jimmy was local?

Yes he was.

- what are they not local, just passing by, tourists or something? and their neighbor was local, so he got infected? what the hell? The funny thing is, the russian subtitles in this episode are correct.

I already mentioned that the "Fireflies" name was changed to Cicadas. Not only the logo of fireflies makes no sense that way, but also for example when Elly in the forest sees real Fireflies, she calls them Cicadas. It`s stupid really.

Maybe i`m overreacting, and it`s nothing significant, but, the game is full of that mistakes, and they spoil the impression pretty bad.

Message 10 of 14 (246 Views)
0 Likes