I Only Post Everything
1225 posts

Re: Magazine removes Ellie from cover. This is why...

Jun 21, 2013

If this game does as well as it seems, maybe more developers will not fear putting female characters as the starring role more

The Last of Us: 96% Metacritic!!!
Message 11 of 21 (224 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1645 posts

Jun 21, 2013

Wow, seriously? Kudos to Neil for calling them out. People need to realise that Joel is a supporting character, and Ellie is the main character. I so badly want to see this magazine get caught in knee deep **bleep**.

Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Message 12 of 21 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1363 posts

Jun 21, 2013

My only guess is because she is 14 holding a gun. 

Message 13 of 21 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4403 posts

Jun 21, 2013

TheNobleSquirrel wrote:

Wow, seriously? Kudos to Neil for calling them out. People need to realise that Joel is a supporting character, and Ellie is the main character. I so badly want to see this magazine get caught in knee deep **bleep**.

Considering you're playing as Joel the majority of the game (and that the game opens with him), it's safe to say Joel was the main character, and Ellie is the co-star.

But, that still doesn't make it right for a magazine to cut Ellie out of the cover like that. She is just as important.

I'd be just as annoyed if they cut Joel out and left Ellie.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 14 of 21 (194 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1645 posts

Jun 21, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

TheNobleSquirrel wrote:

Considering you're playing as Joel the majority of the game (and that the game opens with him), it's safe to say Joel was the main character, and Ellie is the co-star.

But, that still doesn't make it right for a magazine to cut Ellie out of the cover like that. She is just as important.

I'd be just as annoyed if they cut Joel out and left Ellie.

I can see your point, but I still personally believe that Ellie is the main character. Regardless, they had no right to cut her out of the cover.

Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Message 15 of 21 (191 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 21, 2013

While I totally disagree with the decision to remove Ellie from the cover, Gamereactor is a brilliant magazine and Petter Hegevall is one of my favourites in the industry.

I understand why some are upset (I dislike it, too), but when he says it was a decision based on design, he's telling the truth. I have no doubts about it.

The cover definitely should have featured both Joel and Ellie though. Absolutely.

Message 16 of 21 (168 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Jun 21, 2013

I have the magazine. If it makes you happy they gave it a 10/10.

Message 17 of 21 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
79 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 21, 2013

"We felt Ellie looked like she was a cut-out in the original picture and was lit strangely compared to Joel." How does she look like she was "lit strangely?"

The light sources are showing up exactly the same as they are on Joel with the exception of the back light from the lamp on the wall, and even that is pretty accurate because she's closer to the light than Joel is so she's bound to be lit more by it. Not to mention she's pretty much the main character in the game (even though you play as Joel, the story IS focused on Ellie). Removing her from the cover was pretty stupid, should have just left her on there imo. Would have looked fine with her there.

www.youtube.com/user/organizedConfoosion

First person to beat Last of Us on Hard without picking up/using any health packs + no health upgrades. 8)
Message 18 of 21 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4140 posts

Jun 21, 2013
there was a story awhile back ago that talked about Sony wanting Joel to just be on the cover of the game, because apparently it sells the game better. ND of couse refused .

Might be the same thing here
-------------------

What a wasteland it's become
Message 19 of 21 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
471 posts

Jun 21, 2013

Stupid **bleep**, i'm so sick of this **bleep**, what's wrong with females in video games? This really annoys me.

---
PSN: Chaystic

add me.
Message 20 of 21 (125 Views)
0 Likes