Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Naughty Host
8706 posts

Re: Melee Combat - The pax east footage

Mar 27, 2013

Rogue_Eagle wrote:

Alright, I mean, I respect everyone's take on the combat, I just reeeeaally think you guys are missing the mark on this. For me, I'm excited about how many contextual things have been implemented and how intelligent the AI will be. I am nearly positive that all attacks will be done with square, triangle, and circle like in Uncharted, just like in Uncharted, but greatly refined and have more variables. However, it seems I'm a minority in thinking this. 

It seems to me like it's the same cinematic gameplay that Uncharted has, and it's what ND is known for. I'm excited for it, but not for the reasons you guys are talking about. So, all in all, we're interrpretating the combat different. No biggie, I just hope it doesn't disappoint you guys, because I honestly think you're complicating it way to much and making it grander than what I really think it will be. I just think it will be more cinematic, but just as simplistic albiet a few more variables in terms of contextual programming. 

But that's just me.

Yes, TLoU's combat will be cinematic as Uncharted. No, there will be no block button or quarter circle moves on the D-pad. However, the contextual programming will play a bigger role than before and controls will be more refined. No one here is being set up for disappointment. We are just making observations based on the trailers, interviews, leaked info, and the overall tone. In this game, it will be almost impossible to take on groups of enemies in one go, (eg. infected demo). The combat will have to be more reminiscent of a one-on-one fighting style than a Batman multi-directional style. You can't just simply turn the tables on the enemy if he gets the jump on you. It simply won't work. Situational Awareness (No pun intended) is important because, like in the E3 demo, you simply cannot go into a room all willy nilly, such as shown with the guy armed with the pipe. Stealth and one-on-one fighting will be more ideal in this game than Uncharted. This is all we're saying.    

Message 21 of 25 (231 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
172 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 28, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:

Rogue_Eagle wrote:

Alright, I mean, I respect everyone's take on the combat, I just reeeeaally think you guys are missing the mark on this. For me, I'm excited about how many contextual things have been implemented and how intelligent the AI will be. I am nearly positive that all attacks will be done with square, triangle, and circle like in Uncharted, just like in Uncharted, but greatly refined and have more variables. However, it seems I'm a minority in thinking this. 

It seems to me like it's the same cinematic gameplay that Uncharted has, and it's what ND is known for. I'm excited for it, but not for the reasons you guys are talking about. So, all in all, we're interrpretating the combat different. No biggie, I just hope it doesn't disappoint you guys, because I honestly think you're complicating it way to much and making it grander than what I really think it will be. I just think it will be more cinematic, but just as simplistic albiet a few more variables in terms of contextual programming. 

But that's just me.

Yes, TLoU's combat will be cinematic as Uncharted. No, there will be no block button or quarter circle moves on the D-pad. However, the contextual programming will play a bigger role than before and controls will be more refined. No one here is being set up for disappointment. We are just making observations based on the trailers, interviews, leaked info, and the overall tone. In this game, it will be almost impossible to take on groups of enemies in one go, (eg. infected demo). The combat will have to be more reminiscent of a one-on-one fighting style than a Batman multi-directional style. You can't just simply turn the tables on the enemy if he gets the jump on you. It simply won't work. Situational Awareness (No pun intended) is important because, like in the E3 demo, you simply cannot go into a room all willy nilly, such as shown with the guy armed with the pipe. Stealth and one-on-one fighting will be more ideal in this game than Uncharted. This is all we're saying.    

It does appear 1 vs. 4 is suicidal...When your not carrying a shotgun :smileywink: Just imagine, one of those scenarios where runners are just grouping down a hallway right at you, then, You pull out ol' trusty. Would love to see it in action. :smileyhappy:

At 1:26 is that a pistol whip I'm seeing after the attempted but canceled reload? Or is it just the beginning of the animation of the clicker kill? I think its a pistol whip! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRFoNXMQmNk&feature=player_embedded

Gotcha! Found the quick-time-event! Skip to 4:23 https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bu94W6ZQOFc#!

Message 22 of 25 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
520 posts

Mar 30, 2013

Well... that "QTE" is in a specific cutscene. It's not representative of how the melee mechanics work. And it's just about mashing one obvious button; it's not like God of War's test-your-reflexes with different buttons. In practical terms, it's just a way to let you give up, incase you wanna see some gruesome death. It's like Dead Space mashing. The mashing isn't a significant challenge; it's just a way to let you give up. And if an alien grabs you with low health, your mashing won't save you.

And about the defense button. I've given it some extra thought and I figured out its importance. Imagine an enemy gets a jump on you and deals damage with his first hit. Then you want to defend his second hit and run away, because more enemies are coming. You mash the defense button until you see the defense animation, then you run away.

If there was only one melee button for attack and defense, you could accidentally over-mash it, and end up attacking the guy, after your defense. Then more enemies would get there and kill you.

Message 23 of 25 (168 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
172 posts

Apr 13, 2013

Solid_Altair wrote:

Well... that "QTE" is in a specific cutscene. It's not representative of how the melee mechanics work. And it's just about mashing one obvious button; it's not like God of War's test-your-reflexes with different buttons. In practical terms, it's just a way to let you give up, incase you wanna see some gruesome death. It's like Dead Space mashing. The mashing isn't a significant challenge; it's just a way to let you give up. And if an alien grabs you with low health, your mashing won't save you.

And about the defense button. I've given it some extra thought and I figured out its importance. Imagine an enemy gets a jump on you and deals damage with his first hit. Then you want to defend his second hit and run away, because more enemies are coming. You mash the defense button until you see the defense animation, then you run away.

If there was only one melee button for attack and defense, you could accidentally over-mash it, and end up attacking the guy, after your defense. Then more enemies would get there and kill you.

Your right about it not being a (Test your reflexes minigame) But The (Press Square fast!) IS a gameplay mechinac, just not the one in the trailer, that was manatory. I imagine there will be alot of those (Press square fast!) throughout the game. Like in this trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9-I0CF1tsI&feature=player_embedded at (6:45) Everytime a bandit hits you hard enough and you fall to the ground you'll go into this (Struggle system) Which will most likly have a (Press square fast!) On the bottem right.
Now, look very closly at (6:50) RIGHT as it switch's to (6:51) you can see the characters somwhat, slowdown then speed up. Since this was a big trailer to show off the game so they turned off the Button promt showing a square getting mashed indacating to keep pressing sqare really fast. But when Tlou comes out and you play it you'll see it.                        I'm sure of it.

Message 24 of 25 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
520 posts

Apr 14, 2013

^ I agree. I thought fnd the mashing probable, when Joel gets grabbed. But if it is like Dead Space mashing (where your speed doesn't matter much and the mashing is only something cute), then it's OK.

Message 25 of 25 (53 Views)
0 Likes