Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Re: Melee counter is back!!!

Jun 7, 2013

I'd like to know if there is a counter in MP as well. Melee in MP looks pretty **bleep** powerful, there should be some kind of defense against a frontal attack, and a way to clash hand to hand. Not just because it would make sense and be cool, but it would be good for balance too. Could be tense trying to counter one v one in MP, at least if ND is able to make the MP much less laggy than UC3 that is.

Message 11 of 17 (344 Views)
Splicer
45 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 11, 2013

Solid_Altair wrote:

I think I saw a triangle prompt, there.

Now, there is another question: Is it only vs humans (or perhaps a late acquired skill)? Or can it be used against infected (and the GOWA demo was just an outdated build)?

I'd ask the reviewer on youtube, but I'm afraid of eating a spoiler with mushrooms.

Well, in the demo, you can press triangle to counter a clicker. But it costs you a shiv.

And actually, for the runners they get in a stance for a few seconds before they grab you. Perhaps you can counter them there with triangle too. Haven't tried.

Message 12 of 17 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
77 posts

Jun 11, 2013

Cookieter wrote:

I actually confirmed this yesterday, But okay.. Whatever man .. Man Indifferent

Exuse me while I go cry in the corner.. 

Your contribution is recognized by the smart people so please, don't feel the need to "be noticed"... "Hey look at me, i brought this to people's attention before this guy did!!! Aren't i special???"

That kind of behavior won't get you anywhere in life.

Message 13 of 17 (264 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

Jun 11, 2013

Guys relax. 

I think he was joking. Jesus.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 14 of 17 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
520 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 27, 2013

Alright, time to dig some old thread...

I was trying to explore the melee defense (or counter, if you prefer).

I was able to do it like this:

I flurry a guy, he survives the flurry, then counter me. In this case, I can defend his counter, by pressing triangle. Joel dodges the attack and pushes the guy off. Then you can choose to attack the guy again, or do something else.

The thing is: this only works when Joel is unarmed. If he has a weapon, the guy won't survive his flurry.

In Adam's review, we see Joel performing a defense of melee weapon vs melee weapon. So, I suppose there is another way to use melee defense. My guess is that it is only available on difficulties lower than Hard. I suppose it's when you get hit and you can defend a follow up attack on the enemies flurry. Or maybe you even get a chance to defend the first strike... in the review segment, it looked as if Joel had been attacked right after whiffing an attack of his own.

I did a lot of testing on hard and couldn't do this thing. I even turned on the melee prompt just to test things out, but nothing.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Although my testing didn't reveal some stuff that I expected, it did show me some cool 'extras'... I finally saw when a guy holds Joel from behind and another punches his stomach. I also saw some cool deaths.

Message 15 of 17 (169 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
872 posts

Jul 27, 2013
@Solid_Altair
If you use a weapon and the opponent has a weapon: You might miss every once in a while (its super rare though) and the prompt will come up to press triangle.

Sometimes it seems easier to miss if you deliberately miss and hit air, then try to land. Best way would be to load a specific part with many hunters, and keep going at it until you see it. It has happend to me like a total of 4 times.
Message 16 of 17 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Sackboy
520 posts

Jul 27, 2013

Yup. I was testing it on the finencial district, accessing the checkpoint from the chapters.

Thanks a lot, man. It makes sense, now Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 17 (150 Views)
0 Likes