Fender Bender
2344 posts

Re: My Last of Us artwork...

Apr 11, 2013

lulz.

There are giraffes up here in WA, and camels and zebras, and other animals totally unrelated to our geographical position and climate. In other words, rich guy with a lot of land who likes animals lives nearby.

I always wondered what would happen to them (confined animals in general) if we all got wiped out.

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 25 (260 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 11, 2013

Thanks guys!  Thanks Lt_K4RL0S and sinta0531.

I do appreciate your comments!  I just gathered some pictures from around the net.  I started with a 'base' picture of London and then layered a broken road (from a picture I took of a broken road I found on one of my hikes) over the street using photoshop.  The Layers tool in photoshop is what made it all possible.  Layers is it. 

You can just add layers on layers until you see what you like, cut and paste carefully, fade things in or out as you like.  Then I just started adding the elements to make a unified whole.  Lots and lots of foliage.  The ivy was a pain, I didn't use an ivy app, just found a few pictures that I liked and did a zillion layers and flattened.  Threw in some typical London fog.  Oh, of course everything had to be resized using the Free Transform tool to fit where it should be.  I wanted the picture to look real, so I used photos rather than renders.  As I went, I continually adjusted the lighting to make sure it was uniform.  At the end I used a 'mask' to even everything out.

My inspiration for this really came from the movie, Logan's Run, specifically the second half.  Still my favorite movie.  The joy on the faces of the crowd in the final scene (freedom can do that) is worth the price of admission all by itself.

Thanks again everyone.  Best to all.  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 25 (235 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5307 posts

Apr 11, 2013
Tip for easier ivy dude: draw a basic leaf shape and define it as a brush. Set a random scatter to your brush and start some click-and-drag swipes for some instant ivy. Boom!
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 25 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

Apr 12, 2013

I understand what you're saying Calcunnon but I was going for a more realistic tone and you just can't get that with a render.  You need a photograph to get the shine.  Renders tend to look flat and, well, drawn.  I could have made a bit of ivy into a brush and then 'sprayed' it around to save time, but then it would soon take on a patterned look.  It was worth the time I think to work the way I did.  Thanks for your thoughts though.

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 25 (188 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5307 posts

Apr 12, 2013

Wanderearth wrote:

I understand what you're saying Calcunnon but I was going for a more realistic tone and you just can't get that with a render.  You need a photograph to get the shine.  Renders tend to look flat and, well, drawn.  I could have made a bit of ivy into a brush and then 'sprayed' it around to save time, but then it would soon take on a patterned look.  It was worth the time I think to work the way I did.  Thanks for your thoughts though.

I did mine with scatter brush, and I think it came out pretty realistic. Adding scattering colour to the brush helps get the highlights and darker tones, which give off highlights.

Actually now I think of it, using a photograph of several leaves and turning them into a scatterbrush would be even better. Wish I'd have thought of that at the time. No matter, it still came out well :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 25 (129 Views)
0 Likes