I Only Post Everything
905 posts

Re: My thoughts on the ending. SPOILERS!!!

Jun 16, 2013

Mega8BitPanda wrote:

When are we told Joel isn't one? That's the entire point, man. He isn't a hero, he is a protagonist. That's all. 90% of his actions make him one. I can't rationalist why you think his character would suddenly change. If anything it would have been sloppy writing to make him break character that way.

It is called redeeming one's self. When you live a terrible life and then you have a choice to redeem yourself you should always take it. I dislike the character because of his choice. I would not want to play another game with him as the main character as I have no respect for Joel now.

Message 21 of 27 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
260 posts

Jun 16, 2013

niner4life9 wrote:

Mega8BitPanda wrote:

When are we told Joel isn't one? That's the entire point, man. He isn't a hero, he is a protagonist. That's all. 90% of his actions make him one. I can't rationalist why you think his character would suddenly change. If anything it would have been sloppy writing to make him break character that way.

It is called redeeming one's self. When you live a terrible life and then you have a choice to redeem yourself you should always take it. I dislike the character because of his choice. I would not want to play another game with him as the main character as I have no respect for Joel now.

That "redemption" is purely subjective. It would mean killing an innocent, so far we know Joel has only killed in self defense. So by saving Ellie he can at least say his hands are clean, he can't be held responsible for the entire world when their are others out there who are immune. Again, it wasn't a black and white as Ellie dies, it could have been for nothing and then Joel would probably have broken, quite frankly, on top of his personal investment in saving Ellie and his psyche.

Remember, Ellie is 14. Honestly, I wouldn't condone that under any circumstances. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 22 of 27 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
81 posts

Jun 16, 2013
Lol this guy.
Message 23 of 27 (166 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Jun 16, 2013

^ I agree for the most part, but Joel is a cold hearted man. Sometimes he kills people for nothing, or doesn't help.

Message 24 of 27 (158 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
970 posts

Jun 16, 2013

I thought the story and ending was beautifully done and I'm glad there wasn't a choice at the end.  This wouldn't be much of a story if the player got to decide how it ended.

Sully

Message 25 of 27 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

Jun 16, 2013
Saying Joel only kills in self defense is a stretch. He said in the game "I've been on both sides".
 photo sig_zpsfya567e6.jpg
Message 26 of 27 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
260 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 16, 2013

plaZeHD7 wrote:

^ I agree for the most part, but Joel is a cold hearted man. Sometimes he kills people for nothing, or doesn't help.

True that actually, completely forgot about the beginning when he drove past a family. Though could rationalise that as he was more hoping someone would come by for them, genuinely, and was purely focused on his little daughter. 

Could refresh me on who he kills for nothing? I think a second playthrough is in order...

EDIT: 

Saying Joel only kills in self defense is a stretch. He said in the game "I've been on both sides"." That would be the ticket. Completely forgot about that line. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 27 of 27 (145 Views)
0 Likes