Jun 07 2013
By: xKITTY_GOT_WETx Lombax Warrior 111 posts

ND, TLoU netcode. Punishing good connections again ?

[ Edited ]
28 replies 812 views Edited Jun 7, 2013

As the title implies. Even if this game has a very well thought out MP, lag and other issues could still snatch disappointment from the jaws of fun. In theory and in it's launch and announcement trailers, UC3 multiplayer looked like tons of fun. But when you play it, you're pitted against people from seemingly any continent OTHER than your own, where the faster your connection, the higher the frustration. Playing from North america ? You'll be matched up against people from argentina, chile and brazil etc. 

Lag compensation gave those with terrible connection speeds often ridiculous advantages to the point where people began to seek ways to purposely gimp their own connection to abuse that system. Naughy Dog, I'd like to know about the netcode in TLoU, and whether we will finally see a matchmaking system that will match you with people closer to you geographically, minimize lag, and not punish people who pay for a fast connection. No matter how much care you put into this MP portion of your game, those basic elements can have people putting down their controllers and shaking their heads if something like that isn't at its best. What can you tell us ? If anyone else would like answers, help make this thread seen.

Message 1 of 29 (812 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14380 posts

Re: ND, TLoU netcode. Will we be punished for a good connection again ?

Jun 7, 2013

This is the question of all questions.

Needs good local matchmaking too

Message 2 of 29 (807 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1363 posts

Jun 7, 2013

I would love to see some MP footage from those who got an early copy. Honestly, it would be kind of pointless because the server won't be stressed, because even if there were people on, it would only be a couple hundred, if that.

Message 3 of 29 (778 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

Jun 7, 2013

Well it does say *Broadband required* on the back of the case correct or was that fake?

Either way expect the worse it's ND afterall.

Message 4 of 29 (764 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14380 posts

Jun 7, 2013

Zidane_Finito wrote:

Well it does say *Broadband required* on the back of the case correct or was that fake?

It's a lie probably. I wouldn't expect them to discount part of the market. I would expect them to not match me to them though.

Message 5 of 29 (741 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jun 7, 2013

ND doesn't learn from their mistakes.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 6 of 29 (703 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jun 7, 2013

Zidane_Finito wrote:

Broadband is a pretty vague term. A 256 Kbps connection is still considered "broadband". Narrowband is good ol' dial-up (56 Kbps for POTS and 64-128 Kbps for ISDN).

ps: XBOX Live requires 256 Kbps downstream and 64 Kbps upstream, so I don't understand why people "praise" it so much lag-wise.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 7 of 29 (687 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
290 posts

Jun 7, 2013
Lag... the main source of blooming rage in all of us..
Message 8 of 29 (642 Views)
Wastelander
769 posts

Jun 7, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

Zidane_Finito wrote:

It's a lie probably. I wouldn't expect them to discount part of the market. I would expect them to not match me to them though.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-General/The-Last-Of-Us-Survival-Edition-Unboxi...

In that video the box says "broadband required."

sig.png

Message 9 of 29 (637 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Jun 7, 2013
people still use 56k?
"If your choice is to save me over everybody else in the world then...ok. I trust you now and let’s live life.." ~TheVulcanSalute
Message 10 of 29 (634 Views)
0 Likes