Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Re: ND, TLoU netcode. Will we be punished for a good connection again ?

[ Edited ]
Jun 7, 2013

blackdelage wrote:
people still use 56k?

Yeap:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/136441/article.html
http://www.businessinsider.com/us-counties-broadband-access-2010-7?op=1
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/aol-dial-up-modem-broadband-subscribers,news-13078.html

There's even a TV ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eskik14Ho8

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 11 of 29 (463 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3236 posts

Jun 7, 2013

Only two playlists and good sales should result in a fairly healthy player pool. Just put in a connection priority toggle and we'll be as happy as we can be until developers hopefully start implementing more dedicated servers on the PS4.

Edits, Commentaries, Community Videos, and LULZ!
Message 12 of 29 (453 Views)
Welcoming Committee
13851 posts

Jun 7, 2013

PsiloCube wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

Zidane_Finito wrote:

Well it does say *Broadband required* on the back of the case correct or was that fake?

Either way expect the worse it's ND afterall.

It's a lie probably. I wouldn't expect them to discount part of the market. I would expect them to not match me to them though.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-General/The-Last-Of-Us-Survival-Edition-Unboxi...

In that video the box says "broadband required."

I wasn't saying he was lying.

I was saying the box is lying because I'm pretty sure a lot of people i run into are certainly not broadband users and I've seen that on boxes before.

Message 13 of 29 (444 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
970 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 7, 2013

Next time, I take that very seriously, if there´s no DS list I will do what I have to do with a 30+MBdown/3MB+up and a 26Ping connection.

It wont be a lag-switch, but it will be a soffware fix!!!

400ms delay while LAN, **bleep** that ND!!!

U3´s COD syndrom fixlist: Nerf Gmal damage&scope INSTEAD OF RECOIL, Remove all ROF & Quickboom, Remove grenade throwback and replace it with a Slot 2 booster, Move Bargain to Slot 1, Nerf the enterly OP hipfire, INSTEAD OF DESTROYNG UNCHACHARTEDS FLUIDITY!
Nerf the sprint to 2sec/recovery to 5sec, Nerf T-Bolt KB to 12 medals,
NO stopping power effect while ADS, make FF usefull again (pain wobble is ENOUGH!), FIX delay on grenade throw, FIX shooting delay while hanging, FIX the cover system, its inferiour than in U2, FIX the Pull-down camera(U2>U3), FIX map rotation, FIX the reticles on ALL weapons( U2>U3), FIX overall weapon handling(U2>U3), FIX U3 lame COD corridor/hotspot map design(U2>U3), Add an only-party playlist for partys above 2 players OR Change U2 back to the original 1.04 setting.
Message 14 of 29 (426 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3077 posts

Jun 7, 2013

Nice post.  This is one of the BIGGEST issue with NDI games.  It's the REASON I hardly played UC3's COMP MP. 

I don't expect any change.  If NDI suddenly had dedicated servers, I'm sure they let us know, and quick. 

But why do that?  P2P is good enough, according to NDI.  They don't play the games for a large enough sample to understand how horrible it really is. 

I explect very little from NDI in terms of MP on this title.  To have come out with ZERO Co-Op, only two ONLINE modes with one of them being ELIMINATION where you can SIT out for extended periods of time, no beta, and no real info other than a trailer for COMP MP.   

Message 15 of 29 (399 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
520 posts

Jun 7, 2013

What different kinds of net code could the game have? Would there be an answer form ND that would ease your mind?

I don't know about this stuff, but I read a lot of people prasing very highly the net code of Soul Calibur 5. It is a 1vs1, game, though... so I don't know how much a net code in such a game could be similar to a game with 8 players.

Message 16 of 29 (368 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Jun 7, 2013

blackdelage wrote:
people still use 56k?

One of my freinds just recently got off dial up. It's funny how he doesn't understand the internet well. Kinda sad, actually. Not everyone can afford it or live in an area where it is available. It sucks.

Message 17 of 29 (358 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
349 posts

Re: ND, TLoU netcode. Punishing good connections again ?

Jun 7, 2013

Lag is a major problem in UC3s MP indeed, it freezes me up sometimes. I'm really hoping TLOU will have better ways to deal with these problems, especially because you have very limited respawns in the MP, getting killed because of lag wouldn't be fun.

Message 18 of 29 (346 Views)
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Jun 8, 2013

iqbal64255 wrote:

Lag is a major problem in UC3s MP indeed, it freezes me up sometimes. I'm really hoping TLOU will have better ways to deal with these problems, especially because you have very limited respawns in the MP, getting killed because of lag wouldn't be fun.

Hadn't even considered that. With the way the MP plays, that could get really annoying. And we still have no information on how things will be ?

Message 19 of 29 (314 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
28 posts

Jun 8, 2013

This is actually the most relevant and most important topic that should be considered by Naughty Dog and Sony.

It's really quite pitiful to be honest that the Uncharted series, and presumable TLOU, will use P2P servers... how they came to that decision is beyond me...

The Resistance series, another Sony exclusive, was mildly successful on the PS3 for one main reason: dedicated servers. IMO it has a mediocre FPS game structure but the extremely stable, consistent, top-notch, UNIVERSAL LAG-FREE servers push the game to a whole new level.

The Killzone series is another Sony exclusive which again did fairly well. These games, too, would be no-where without dedicated servers. 

The Uncharted series are undoubetdly one of the greatest assest to Sony exclusive games.. yet why in the world don't they have dedicated servers???!?! If they had offered them, the series would have been given much more fame, respect, better sales, and would provide Sony with a truly unbeatable exclusive.

Yet TLOU will be borrowing the same sorry a$$ peer to peer servers as the most generic shooting games out there. I understand the game is focused heavily on the SP. And that is great and all. I'm sure the SP will win game of the year awards. But there is still a significant part of the gaming population who enjoy and in fact prefer multiplayer. Being cheap and forcing us to put up with horrible lag is akin to making a SP game with $hitty AI. It ruins all fun in the game.

This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. I can only pray that others will chime in and petition for dedicated servers. Because that will surely be a nail in this MP's coffin if not included. 

http://www.youtube.com/user/KuzuRanger
Message 20 of 29 (282 Views)