PlayStation MVP
2843 posts

Re: ND, TLoU netcode. Punishing good connections again ?

Jun 8, 2013

I seriously think this has something to do with PlayStation rather than Naughty Dog. I don't know a whole lot about networking or  PS' story but no matter the game.. I play with people from all over the world when it comes to PS games online EXCEPT for Call of Duty. When it comes to XBOX, I never faced anyone from a different country. 

Nerf
Buff
Patch
Adapt

photo tumblr_mf1ussHvgx1qfdlxyo1_1280.png
Message 21 of 29 (237 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3236 posts

Jun 9, 2013

KuzuRanger wrote:

This is actually the most relevant and most important topic that should be considered by Naughty Dog and Sony.

It's really quite pitiful to be honest that the Uncharted series, and presumable TLOU, will use P2P servers... how they came to that decision is beyond me...

The Resistance series, another Sony exclusive, was mildly successful on the PS3 for one main reason: dedicated servers. IMO it has a mediocre FPS game structure but the extremely stable, consistent, top-notch, UNIVERSAL LAG-FREE servers push the game to a whole new level.

The Killzone series is another Sony exclusive which again did fairly well. These games, too, would be no-where without dedicated servers. 

The Uncharted series are undoubetdly one of the greatest assest to Sony exclusive games.. yet why in the world don't they have dedicated servers???!?! If they had offered them, the series would have been given much more fame, respect, better sales, and would provide Sony with a truly unbeatable exclusive.

Yet TLOU will be borrowing the same sorry a$$ peer to peer servers as the most generic shooting games out there. I understand the game is focused heavily on the SP. And that is great and all. I'm sure the SP will win game of the year awards. But there is still a significant part of the gaming population who enjoy and in fact prefer multiplayer. Being cheap and forcing us to put up with horrible lag is akin to making a SP game with $hitty AI. It ruins all fun in the game.

This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. I can only pray that others will chime in and petition for dedicated servers. Because that will surely be a nail in this MP's coffin if not included. 

Preach it brother, I've been saying this for years.

Edits, Commentaries, Community Videos, and LULZ!
Message 22 of 29 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Jun 10, 2013

Someone who has the game said there's an option to look for players closer to you ? Is that true ?

Message 23 of 29 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3354 posts

Jun 10, 2013
they can't even access the multiplayer yet...

EyeCue86 is a symbol of free speech. Any attempt to censor EyeCue86 is an act of evil.

"It's that time of the month again, Joel." -Ellie, The Last of Us

"It's that time of the month again, Joel"
-Ellie, The Last of Us
Message 24 of 29 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 10, 2013

xKITTY_GOT_WETx wrote:

Someone who has the game said there's an option to look for players closer to you ? Is that true ?

No, I didn't see a ping filter toggle in that leaked MP video.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 25 of 29 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Jun 10, 2013
I have a copy but the servers aren't up and running yet. Will check again when I get home today
Message 26 of 29 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2204 posts

Jun 10, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

xKITTY_GOT_WETx wrote:

what youre refering to is, when the dude went to "find game," the screen said, "looking for optimal game," and then it went to, "searching for close game."

the servers are offline, but looking for optimal>close sounds good to me. But...doesnt Uncharted do the same thing?

--
Say NO to paid DLC maps
Message 27 of 29 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 10, 2013

gunnsandwiches42 wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

xKITTY_GOT_WETx wrote:

what youre refering to is, when the dude went to "find game," the screen said, "looking for optimal game," and then it went to, "searching for close game."

the servers are offline, but looking for optimal>close sounds good to me. But...doesnt Uncharted do the same thing?

Yeah, it does the same thing and I find MEX/BRA/KSA players all the time. :smileyindifferent: So, why should I be excited?

Also, I don't trust ND, because they may change the matchmaking priority if people start crying about high levels/parties. That's why I want a toggle.

ps: Does anyone remember Eric's promise regarding their "future projects"? Yet another lie...

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 28 of 29 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Jun 11, 2013

For some reason I feel like someone from ND mentioned having a better approach to finding players. Maybe it was in a dev diary or interview or something ?

Message 29 of 29 (79 Views)
0 Likes