Uncharted Territory
1363 posts

Re: Naughty Dog Breaks Down The Last of Us Multiplayer - Gameinformer

Jun 4, 2013

l'm highly skeptical on the whole 'marking' and 'listen mode' thing in MP. I feel like it's going to be too overpowered and ruin the experience. Basically he said if you camp you will have an advantage and it will also help you win the match. You just sit back and use listen mode and mark people. I kind of wish they could just throw all of that out of the window, or at least make it to where the range on listen mode is VERY limited and it can only be used rarely throughout the match and only lasts for a few seconds. This is a make or break feature in the MP imo.

Message 31 of 43 (338 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
282 posts

Jun 4, 2013

just make it like socom, where there aren't any respawns.  once you die, you're dead. period.

that in itself would make people play more carefully.

Message 32 of 43 (319 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
570 posts

Jun 4, 2013

That is how it is, one life per-round.

Message 33 of 43 (299 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
478 posts

Jun 4, 2013

JOSH55886 wrote:

That is how it is, one life per-round.

In survival mode, Supply Raid has respawns.

Message 34 of 43 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1363 posts

Jun 4, 2013

Just make a new Socom. Smiley Happy

Message 35 of 43 (255 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
520 posts

Jun 4, 2013

Hmmm... I liked those news about the support class. I wonder if that healing will have somewhat good animations. Coop Class Abilities are a very good thing. It just seems like there is going to be some bad grind to obtain those coop capabilities :/ At least it seems like they're going to be easy (viable) to use on the matches. I just see the game being a beginner's nightmare. I hope the loadout points stop increasing at a relatively short level, or there will be rage from being defeated by higher level guys.

Message 36 of 43 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
570 posts

Jun 4, 2013

New SOCOM isn't happening. MAG was Zipper's last game pretty much, we won't talk about Unit 13....

Zipper has been shut down for quite awhile now. SOCOM 4 did pretty bad...

Message 37 of 43 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
496 posts

Jun 4, 2013

naaros wrote:
I'm usually not overly negative, but I have to think that they waited so long to reveal it and kept it a secret because it looks so tacked on.  *shrug*  I might just be overreacting, but I'm kinda frustrated. Smiley Sad

They could just be talking about the competitive modes of MP... but likely not. (ND has always been bad about two things, IMO, communicating with their fans and having a good idea of what their fans want.... Hopefully this is a failure in communication.. but it could seriously be a failure in the second area too.)

Personally, as someone who pretty much only plays the competitive modes of Uncharted 2/3 I can honestly tell you I'm still disappointed... I just don't see those two modes having long legs... UC2/3 when you wanted a break from TDM you could go and play some plunder or objective. You're still playing the game but taking a break from whatever was frustrating you... Now, well each mode just seems like it could be ripe with frustration.

First Mode (Sorry, too lazy to look the names up)

1) I'm sort of shocked their isn't a call for a no party (mercenary) option yet... but there will be in less than 2 weeks. Now, both modes are going to favor parties, skilled players teaming up is always going to be a problem in whatever MP game but the first mode is pretty much Gears of War 3 TDM and skill groups that know how to lockdown maps, know each other tendencies and can communicate with mics are absolutely going to gang up on weaker prey...

2) The other problem with Gears3 TDM is the random that sucks, doesn't really know what's going on, and just blows through your teams lives so quickly that winning just isn't going to happen...

The their other mode

1) Same problem number 1...

2) Well, that random who sucks.. Well, now he just dies and only costs you that one life but an Elimination style mode... Its certainly cool, I'm glad to have it as it certainly has merit and I'm sure I'll play it, but when elimination goes bad, and it will all go bad for us at some point in time, you end up watching far more than playing... And that is its only special kind of frustrating.

Now having two modes with high learning curves, aka possible frustration, wouldn't be the end of the world/experience if their was a mode where newbies could learn without really killing their team's chances to win... Hell, its quite possible to go 1-19 in Plunder or Objective and still be a key member of the team... Not any more.

I see a smaller player base than UC3 not too long after release (call it four months) if all we have is two TDM variants.

That all said... I really hope I'm wrong.

Message 38 of 43 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
202 posts

Jun 4, 2013

naaros wrote:

Fakehound wrote:

naaros wrote:

Fakehound wrote:
Please tell me this game will ship with a Survival co-op mode, my God it is practically made for it, not to mention how the Uncharted fans have begged for it since UC2...

Based on the GameInformer interview, nope.  These two modes (deathmatch variants) is all we have to play.  I'm so unbelievably disappointed by this multiplayer reveal.  It seems like the PERFECT game for some awesome co-op!  But instead, they give it two Deathmatch modes and nothing else.  No objectives in the games besides killing and looting.  There aren't even any infected in the multiplayer matches, like **bleep**? lol

I'm usually not overly negative, but I have to think that they waited so long to reveal it and kept it a secret because it looks so tacked on.  *shrug*  I might just be overreacting, but I'm kinda frustrated. Smiley Sad

I guess we'll see soon... I mean don't get me wrong, the idea of Deathmatch is cool, but survival co-op modes or competitive modes with infected (hunter mode in UC3, only good) included would have been incredible.

Oh yeah, I'll be playing the multiplayer some, but I don't know how long it'll keep me hooked with only a deathmatch-ish mode there.  Co-Op (or even more competitive modes) with infected would have been so awesome.  The fact that it might come as DLC later kinda bugs me. Smiley Tongue

@SANS__ - well the problem is, the interviewer asked the multiplayer designer about the modes, and he said something like they only made two modes because they wanted more to focus more on 'depth' than 'breadth'.  But it's kinda weird because the modes are so similar (except one is basically elimination).

"So, our philosophy there was, even though we don't have a very big breadth of game modes, is to kind of go for depth over breadth and try and create a deeper game experience.  Like we mentioned, a little more layered and there's more of that depth there. So, we focus on just a couple of modes which are somewhat similar to most of the team death match experiences but those are also some of the most popular experiences that players are after so our philosophy was how do we take those core experiences that players love playing but put them, and take them into our universe and make them feel more survivalist and more weighty in terms of the tension of the match?"

Idk, she said couple, so that makes me hopeful that its more than two modes. 

Message 39 of 43 (94 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Jun 4, 2013

ND is crap doing MP!!!!!!!!   they could do the best MP ever, do u know WarZ.. so thats it!!!

Message 40 of 43 (125 Views)
0 Likes