Splicer
57 posts

Re: Neil Druckman: DLC will have very few combat scenarios

[ Edited ]
Jan 14, 2014

renatabls wrote:

Asimb0mb wrote:

You should probably wait to hear the response from critics before buying the DLC. That's what I'm going to do too.

You should not do this, EVER. Never trust reviews from anyone, even if the person's respected, everyone has different opinions.

Reviews is bad for gaming, it makes underrated games... underrated.

So much this.

Aldro wrote:
And TLOU was all about survival hence the scavenge - move from a location and keep heading towards our destination. This doesn't quite seem to be the same which is rather nice to be honest. Let's not forget that some of the most powerful moments were not combat moments even if the combat immersed you and is absolutely fantastic, too.

Yeah TLoU wasn't a combat centric game and I actually enjoyed that. It was there and it was fun but my favourite parts of the SP were actually the calmer parts.

Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 66 (176 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1563 posts

Jan 14, 2014

racetrack9 wrote:

renatabls wrote:

Asimb0mb wrote:

You should probably wait to hear the response from critics before buying the DLC. That's what I'm going to do too.

You should not do this, EVER. Never trust reviews from anyone, even if the person's respected, everyone has different opinions.

So much this.

Aldro wrote:
And TLOU was all about survival hence the scavenge - move from a location and keep heading towards our destination. This doesn't quite seem to be the same which is rather nice to be honest. Let's not forget that some of the most powerful moments were not combat moments even if the combat immersed you and is absolutely fantastic, too.

Yeah TLoU wasn't a combat centric game and I actually enjoyed that. It was there and it was fun but my favourite parts of the SP were actually the calmer parts.

But think, if you remove as much combat as possible, it might as well be a movie. While I agree, the calmer parts were very enjoyable, if players don't have combat, alot of them will put the controller down very, VERY quickly. TLoU wasn't a combat oriented game, but it was centered around it.

Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 66 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1300 posts

Jan 14, 2014

TheNobleSquirrel wrote:

racetrack9 wrote:

renatabls wrote:

Asimb0mb wrote:

So much this.

Aldro wrote:

But think, if you remove as much combat as possible, it might as well be a movie. While I agree, the calmer parts were very enjoyable, if players don't have combat, alot of them will put the controller down very, VERY quickly. TLoU wasn't a combat oriented game, but it was centered around it.

They never said there is zero combat and to be fair if they stage it well, it can feel just as good.

I think so at least xP 

Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 66 (163 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1563 posts

Jan 14, 2014

conquerator3 wrote:

TheNobleSquirrel wrote:

racetrack9 wrote:

renatabls wrote:

Asimb0mb wrote:

So much this.

Aldro wrote:

They never said there is zero combat and to be fair if they stage it well, it can feel just as good.

I think so at least xP 

Exactly, they CAN stage it well, wether or not they did, we'll have to wait and see :smileytongue:

Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 66 (160 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 14, 2014
I love this.. I never expected ND to make it 80% combat. Its about 2 13 year old girls who are exploring off limits areas in Boston. How much freaking combat do u want. Its gonna be stealth based where u have to take out patrols and infected.. its freaking awesome. I would love a 0 combad DLC.
Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 66 (154 Views)
Splicer
67 posts

Jan 14, 2014

Why on earth are people doubting Naughty Dog? Their past four games all have a meta score above 88. The Last Of Us was increcible. No way would Bruce and Neil make something they wouldn't want to play. Plus The Last Of Us was never about guns blazing. It was about story. And the combat was prodominately stealth (if you played it right). I massively excited to see how ND use this DLC to tell a story with less combat.

Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 66 (136 Views)
Sackboy
564 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 14, 2014

It don't matter. Because you can't expect Ellie and Riley be all Resident Evil-type of epic zombie killers either. AND it's a DLC. If you're mad because a DLC doesn't have as much combat - a DLC with two teenage girls for Christ's sakes - as the main game... don't buy it. DLCs rarely are as good as the main game, yet still they can be good.

And I doubt ND will fail us; it said it will have some combat scenarios. Meaning you could possibly get to satisfy your bloodlust.

I have acquired the grade of Master in The Last of Us story/character/game knowledge as I have played it through 9 times.

... I have no life.
Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 66 (127 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Jan 14, 2014

I love The Last of Us and it's one of, if not the strongest games I ever enjoyed. However, it wasn't for the combat I feel this way. In fact, I see the frequent encounters with hunters as the least good part of the game. I won't say worse, because the combat is still good, but the parts that makes this game the cream of the crop are the moments when I slowly walk around exploring, taking in the scenery while chatting to Ellie.

The encounters with the infected was intense and kept me on my toes, but the hunters actually got a bit predictable and boring after a while. At one point in the game I just thought "fakk this, I'm just gonna run through them".

For me, this scenario feels like good news. I just hope there is some length to it.

Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 66 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
595 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 14, 2014

Well for me, I don't need a lot of gunplay.  I think we'll get plenty of gameplay, so Idk why people are making a big fuss over this.  Naughty Dog makes brilliant games, why does everyone think this is going to suck? Have some faith. This game just won hundreds of GOTY awards.  I think Naughty Dog knows what they are doing.  It's going to be a lot better than a lot of you guys think.

Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 66 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
57 posts

Jan 14, 2014

TheNobleSquirrel wrote:

The impression I got from that interview was that while there won't be lots of combat, there'd still be things to do. I don't think it'll be just walking around, it seems like there'll be things other than scavenging, but not shooting people. Kind of mysterious but I have faith it'll be enjoyable, whatever it is.

Please use plain text.
Message 50 of 66 (95 Views)
0 Likes