Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Re: New Last of Us Characters for a new game

Dec 18, 2013

It is incredibly bizarre to me how many people don't understand this concept.  I'm being a bit of a jerk by stating it that way, but it's the truth.  The story/bond of Joel and Ellie is complete.  No further telling of their tale is required, and any more shown will ONLY serve to hurt the characters.  They will begin to seem trite and cartoonish.  Too much of a good thing!

TLoU isn't the same as most franchises in which the characters can be used repititously.  That is usually allowed because the characters are so **bleep** shallow and pointless.  Most games could have cardboard boxes that speak in binary in place of the characters and it would not impact the story (just look at Tomb Raider for a perfect example).  TLoU is a rare example in which the characters truly matter.  They ARE the game.  Their story is utterly finished, like a great book that has come to a close.  Another TLoU game with J&E would be like Moby **bleep** 2, or Atlas Shrugged 2.  It's practically ignorant to believe otherwise.

*getsoffsoapbox

Message 11 of 14 (93 Views)
Splicer
41 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 26, 2013

MaidenVelka wrote:

It is incredibly bizarre to me how many people don't understand this concept.  I'm being a bit of a jerk by stating it that way, but it's the truth.  The story/bond of Joel and Ellie is complete.  No further telling of their tale is required, and any more shown will ONLY serve to hurt the characters.  They will begin to seem trite and cartoonish.  Too much of a good thing!

TLoU isn't the same as most franchises in which the characters can be used repititously.  That is usually allowed because the characters are so **bleep** shallow and pointless.  Most games could have cardboard boxes that speak in binary in place of the characters and it would not impact the story (just look at Tomb Raider for a perfect example).  TLoU is a rare example in which the characters truly matter.  They ARE the game.  Their story is utterly finished, like a great book that has come to a close.  Another TLoU game with J&E would be like Moby **bleep** 2, or Atlas Shrugged 2.  It's practically ignorant to believe otherwise.

*getsoffsoapbox

Yeah, that's a tad bit condescending. It's not a matter of understanding a concept so much as agreeing with your thoughts on how ND should approach a sequel. I get what you're saying about TLoU being unique in comparison to other video-game franchises, but if it was really that bad of an idea I doubt Druckmann would open up to the possibility of Joel and Ellie returning in a follow-up game.

Just to clarify, I wouldn't want them bringing back the characters for a multitude of sequels but one more game with Joel and/or Ellie doesn't sound terrible. At the same time though, you're right: too much of a good thing can be bad. Maybe it's foolish on my part, but I honestly think with these characters they have the potential to create The Godfather II of video game sequels. I have faith in Naughty Dog and I'm confident that they wouldn't bring back Joel and Ellie unless they had a story worth their return.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
"Dope beats, dope rhymes. This Hip Hop ain't really that hard."
Message 12 of 14 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
177 posts

Dec 26, 2013
You guys clealy dont know Naughty Dog whatsoever.
Bathory/Quorthon 1983-2004/Twilight Of The Gods
See you in Valhalla
Message 13 of 14 (62 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

Dec 27, 2013

immyb13 wrote:
You guys clealy dont know Naughty Dog whatsoever.

They clearly don't understand our point any more than we do their... It's fair and our point stands. Let's go by the numbers :smileyvery-happy:

Message 14 of 14 (50 Views)
0 Likes