Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 15 2013
By: sinta0531 Hekseville Citizen 363 posts

New TLOU infos! (UP: 01/15 8:33am)

[ Edited ]
14 replies 998 views Edited Jan 15, 2013

01/15 8:33am - Updated w/ 4th and 5th post and links added. And Neil Druckmann's twitter response.

Link to the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503482 (Secretarial Dog's post are at pg 14 onwards) Thanks EDSTA713 !

Posted by: Secretarial Dog in Neogaf forums (It's up to you to believe it or not, Neogaf forums has lots of gaming industry folks (devs etc) that posts there. Arne posts there too at times.

And oh some might be spoilerish.

1st post: Link: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46379657&postcount=670

Did you guys know...

... that Joel was first called Ethan in the process of writing the script of TLOU? After a meeting with the other team from Naughty Dog Amy Hennig noticed that Ethan & Ellie sounds like Nathan & Elena, so they changed Ethans name.

... that there are no traditional Boss fights. More like Boss-similar fights.

... that there are no day-night changes.

... that there will be a New+ Game.

... there is no skill tree or leveling in Singleplayer but maybe somewhere else.

... that the cordyceps virus are human exclusive and are not effecting animals in order to keep the wilderness.
More Information.

2nd post: Link: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46406483&postcount=673

- the journey of Joel & Ellie leads towards San Francisco

- the military quarantine is called "The Zone"

- you can interact with doors

- Quicktime Events are going to be in cutscenes

- the opponents are also detecting sounds that do not come from us. So if you for example shut off the radio in a deserted fast food, you could alert enemies nearby the dinner.

- scars, flaws and scratches are realistically represented on the enemy in an a battle.

3rd post: Link: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46437718&postcount=715
Originally Posted by Ricky_R: View Post
Can we confirm this info?? I mean, is it legit? More curious than doubtful btw.
These Infos aren't floating on the net, but somewhere else. One source is the German GamePro Magazine and another source I'm not allowed to talk about, but is 100% legit.

Originally Posted by DarkKyo: View Post
I think what it means is that there is no day-night cycle, though events/segments will still indeed take places at all different times of day.
exactly.

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris: View Post
He didn't say anything about realtime
poor word choise, sorry for that.

Originally Posted by Callibretto: View Post
eh, I'm already content that the qte cutscene is your reward animation while the main challenge is in approaching the enemy in the first place.
exactly.

Originally Posted by ArjanN: View Post
Chaos Theory was pretty good about this, where you could look under doors, open them slowly or bash them in and knock people out behind them.
you can do that in TLOU.

Originally Posted by Jarmel: View Post
This is **bleep** until source is provided.
You can call this Infos whatever you want, but i would be a total **bleep** to post **bleep** on GAF where many ND developers are registered and reading, including the community manager/strategist Arne. Actually, if I would be interested to post sensitive infos out of the blue, I would post how the mutiplayer looks like. I think that's the most question asked at this moment.

Originally Posted by Amjad: View Post
I can't wait for this game... Keep feeding us more information. Pretty please!
Alright then.

- the Cordyceps-Virus is not an abstruse experiment by the US Government which has been transformed then into a catastrophe.

- story about Joel & Ellie begins and ends in TLOU no matter if they life or die. If a sequel to this game is provided, it will happen without Joel & Ellie.

- you can dodge strokes from enemies in Gameplay and counter with a stroke to the stomach or distribute an uppercut. All this happens not in fast paced Uncharted style moves.

- you can only kill the infected aka clickers if you shoot them with guns or set traps and of course run/hide and seek to get away from them. You can not kill them with your fists, or the knife, bricks, sticks or whatever material in your hands.

- you have to forage for food.

- you can snipe with the Mosin-Nagant.

- first weapons Joel & Ellie start with in the campagne are
the revolver and a flick knife, just like shown in the first trailer

- cutscenes are created by a team who previously worked on Michael Bays movie Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

4th post: Link: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46442535&postcount=728

Originally Posted by Stallion Free: View Post
I thought the cut scenes were done by ND, Same method as UC?
Same method as UC.

Originally Posted by Jay-B: View Post
Wait, what? Why would they outsource their in-engine cutscenes? Don't they have dedicated teams whose entire jobs is to create them at ND?
They are not outsourcing it. Team is sitting with ND in the office.

Originally Posted by Evolved1: View Post
Spill it.
:smileyhappy:

Originally Posted by Ricky_R: View Post
Originally Posted by Secretarial Dog:
- you can dodge strokes from enemies in Gameplay and counter with a stroke to the stomach or distribute an uppercut. All this happens not in fast paced Uncharted style moves.
How does it happen then?
You have a free punch-system in TLOU. It's like Fight Night. You can block punches from enemies whenever you want in a fight, no Quicktime.
Like I posted earlier, Quicktime Events are only presented in cutscenes. An actual example from the Game: Some enemie trashes you trough a window. Image gets blurry, Joel is looking for something to serve as a weapon. He sees a shard of glass from the window, a Quicktime Event prompts up and if you press at the right time, Joel would ram it down the enemies throat. This is how Quicktime Event works in TLOU.

5th post: Link: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46442840&postcount=730

Was that a real (resident evil style) quickturn I saw in the video?
yes.

Can Joel switch shoulders while aiming?
yes.

I think it was confirmed once that the player can initiate stealth/crouching, (that it isn't entirely dependent on context like it is in Uncharted) but can you confirm this?
You can crouch whenever you want to, unlike Uncharted. You just have to press a button.

Neil Druckmann's Response : "@Neil_Druckmann: @NaughtyGods It's some old info from a GI podcast we did a year ago. Some of the points in that thread are false though (QTE cutscenes???)."

EDIT (My post): I also read somewhere that those "clickers" has two infections. One is from the Cordiceps, a fungal infection. And another one is like a virus or something.

I like some of the gameplay changes this game has (traps, crouching, door interaction etc.). As much as i love Uncharted series, I always wished it has a more intricate mechanics.

Boy do i wonder where will TLOU 2 will happen? Who will be the characters? Maybe across europe? That will be freakin nuts.

All i really need now is MP info. I'm gonna stop reading anything about SP from now on :smileyhappy:

So there might be leveling up / skill tree system in the MP.

+============================================================+
Message 1 of 15 (998 Views)
Lombax Warrior
172 posts

Re: New TLOU infos!

Jan 15, 2013
Awesome, thanks for the post. Link?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 15 (970 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
349 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 15, 2013

Sounds cool, the more interactive the world the better! I'm note so sure what to think about the clickers, I mean why can't you melee them? Soo, if this informations true that means the Mosin is comfirmed right? :smileyvery-happy: QTE's in cutscenes may not be so bad, but if it's like AC3 QTE when you fight an animal I'm going to be dissapointed.

On an unrelated note, I'm still dissapointed that the choke hold in the extended demo was the same as the one in the E3 demo gameplay. :smileyindifferent:

Message 3 of 15 (958 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5307 posts

Jan 15, 2013
Great find, sinta.
Message 4 of 15 (944 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
259 posts

Jan 15, 2013

what happens if you choose not to do the QTE ? Does joel die or an alternate scene plays out.

I know in space ace (laser disc game) you had different options in which to do instead of only one option like in dragons lair.

Message 5 of 15 (941 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
869 posts

Jan 15, 2013

So it takes guns to kill the Infected?! Hmm, that really doesn't make sense I mean they are regular people. If someone gets infected with the virus you can still kill them by breaking their head open with a brick or an axe. It's just the way it goes. Destroy the brain, you destroy the host. As far as the QTE's go, I'm glad they will only be in the cutscenes. I just suck a getting them right. Also, Mosin Nagant?! Meh, I can do without. I'm hoping they are better weapons than that. 

Message 6 of 15 (895 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
322 posts

Jan 15, 2013
Guys, Neil Druckmann, creative director, has largely dismissed this info: "'It's some old info from a GI podcast we did a year ago. Some of the points in that thread are false though (QTE cutscenes???)." https://mobile.twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/291043928499691521
 photo 492afe7a-5d47-473d-9476-3a8036a31d5b_zps4955703f.jpg
Message 7 of 15 (892 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
869 posts

Jan 15, 2013

NazzyQ wrote:
Guys, Neil Druckmann, creative director, has largely dismissed this info: "'It's some old info from a GI podcast we did a year ago. Some of the points in that thread are false though (QTE cutscenes???)." https://mobile.twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/291043928499691521

Not all of it. Only the QTE's in cutscenes. Here is the link to the thread for those who want it. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503482&page=14

Message 8 of 15 (890 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
322 posts

Jan 15, 2013
But he said that most of the Info has come from a GI podcast last year. I remember him talking about new game plus, but I dont think he said anything about how to kill the Infected, or day-night cycle etc. Here's the link: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/podcasts/archive/2012/03/01/special-edition-podcast-the-last-of-us.asp...
 photo 492afe7a-5d47-473d-9476-3a8036a31d5b_zps4955703f.jpg
Message 9 of 15 (884 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
869 posts

Jan 15, 2013

NazzyQ wrote:
But he said that most of the Info has come from a GI podcast last year. I remember him talking about new game plus, but I dont think he said anything about how to kill the Infected, or day-night cycle etc. Here's the link: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/podcasts/archive/2012/03/01/special-edition-podcast-the-last-of-us.asp...

I had already heard the podcast back then and decided to make a little segment on my TLOU YouTube channel. I didn't hear them say how to kill them neither. 

Message 10 of 15 (881 Views)
0 Likes