Sackboy
520 posts

Re: No Numbered Rankings in Multiplayer

Feb 17, 2013

If the higher levels give the player access to better or at least specific skills or equipment, then do show the level. At least when we loose to a higher level guy, we will know it wasn't entirely our fault. And when we win against a beginner, we will know it wasn't such a big deal. It also serves for searching for games with more people around your level. It works like this in AC3 and it's very good.

However, I would actually prefer if the levels didn't make a big difference in the players raw power. I think we should be able to get what we want early one, kinda like, getting full power in one play style, then, later, with a bigger grind, getting more options in case we want to diversify. Kinda like Killzone 3. Kinda.

More specifically, if there is a type of stat, like Booster1, and this stat has a bunch of options, when I can get a Boost, I should be able to choose amond ANY option (instead of waiting until I get to a high level, to be able to get such an option). However, being able to get my second option, should require a bigger grind. Then I'd choose it freely, again. Then the 3rd would require an even bigger grind... and so on.

If the skills are truly balanced, why is it I can't get this one before I get that one? This is something extremely dumb that most MPs have. That's what really discourage players, the difference in raw power between people who has played for more time and those who are beginning. Me angry.

You can add a lot of aesthetic stuff to higher levels, to keep things interesting even for those who already got their favorite skills and stuff. Don't put a freaking situational awereness to make people aspire to that level. That's a cheap trick.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 27 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1782 posts

Feb 17, 2013

Public stats are one of the reasons people ragequit in a game (like Uncharted) they get frustrated if they do bad in a game and leave the match to keep their precious stats untouched. Just one of the many reasons I support this idea.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 27 (191 Views)
PlayStation MVP
7664 posts

Feb 17, 2013
@altair - Do you really need to know who really killed you though? That goes against the nature of the game as I was talking about in a previous post. You should still see what killed you and the boosters they were using, but not their "skill rank". I see numbered ranks as a psychological hazard to the multiplayer.

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 27 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
345 posts

Feb 17, 2013

Levels and unlocks are great for multiplayer they motivate you.

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 27 (175 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7664 posts

Feb 17, 2013
^ Read all the previous posts.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 27 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
520 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 17, 2013

I wouldn't actually care much about kill per kill, unless the guy killed me because he has a booster I can't have. Then I could be curious. But, as you said... the skill level... no, I wouldn't care. At least not as victim. But I would surely be more excited by doing well against guys who had played for a long time, as opposed to hunting noobs. Hunting noobs can get you soft.

The thing about the rage quitting really depends on the rules. Some games still let the guy walk out of the game takig the points he won. Other games don't. There are many ways to punish and shame rage quitters. I don't think hiding stats is the best solution.

If they have what I consider a good MP progression where there is a power balance between noobs and veterans... then they could hide the stats all they wanted. I wouldn't care.

And about numbers being a psychological hazards to the MP... I'd say: only if they're not used well. Using them well is surely better than not using them. The points ar the best way for the Devs to manipulate the players into playing the game as the Devs think the game should be played. Battlefield 3 and AC 3 did this better than any game. In one the kill points are usually only half of all your points, cause there is so much teamwork stuff that justly rewards you. In the other, style matters more than the quantity of kills... I think it's genious how they make it work. K/D means next to nothing in AC 3. It's brilliant.

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 27 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Feb 18, 2013

Ping-based matchmaking > rank-based matchmaking

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 27 (136 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7664 posts

Feb 18, 2013
^ Another reason for no numbered ranks.

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 27 (133 Views)
Wastelander
604 posts

Feb 19, 2013

Not trying to just be negative but I think it's safe to assume there will be ranks in TLOU's Multiplayer. It stays true to current gen's multiplayer (something we know Naughty Dog loves to keep up with), it wouldn't be right without them. Now that's not my opinion but it's just how it works.

I'm pretty sure we've all seen te pre-order bonuses for multiplayer

• Multiplayer In-game Currency Boost
• Bonus Multiplayer XP
• Melee Attack Booster Pack

Seems like they're attached to a ranking system to me. Maybe you'll be lucky and they will take out leaderboards but they will keep numbers next to our names no doubt.

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 27 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5307 posts

Feb 19, 2013
As long as they don't keep track of a KDR it's all good with me. People get too obsessed with their KDR and it makes them play very selfishly. We should be encouraged to work as a team, and get rewarded accordingly.
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 27 (106 Views)