Splicer
85 posts

Re: No dodge/counter button?

May 31, 2013

Aldro wrote:
@AKyemeni
I really really hope so. The square mashing felt a bit meh. It is fluid and rather cool but come on:

I play UC3 several times, just countering and acting all Bruce Lee on people as they never die, it feels fun XD. I want to like take out an entire gang of humans and then just have 1 be alive and brawl with him.

well this game is not uncharted. so deal with it.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 20 (370 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
872 posts

May 31, 2013
@Aphid
But Joel dodged in the E3 gameplay video! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 20 (359 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
85 posts

May 31, 2013

Aldro wrote:
@Aphid

thats E3. thats just and idea on how things are gonna be thats not the final product. besides this game isnt about being a kick **bleep** character. its about survival and reality (reality in a sense) it isnt nathan drake god of all man. people keep turning back on uncharted when this game is completely apart from it.

its 

THE

LAST

OF US 

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 20 (350 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

May 31, 2013
You mean when he sidestepped the Molotov? I wouldn't be suprised if it's only available when fighting Hunters.

Or maybe it's not a button. Maybe if you just move sideways when a thrown object is close enough, there is a dodge animation
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 20 (348 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
872 posts

Jun 1, 2013

@cvbxsta

I mean this =>

http://i.imgur.com/CUGqUHs.gif

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 20 (323 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 1, 2013

Aphid_squirrel wrote:

Aldro wrote:
@Aphid

thats E3. thats just and idea on how things are gonna be thats not the final product. besides this game isnt about being a kick **bleep** character. its about survival and reality (reality in a sense) it isnt nathan drake god of all man. people keep turning back on uncharted when this game is completely apart from it.

its 

THE

LAST

OF US 

but if you wanted to survive...doesn't that mean you'd want to dodge and not take every hit like "come at me bro/ d'ya even lift/lulz doesn't faze me"?

"If your choice is to save me over everybody else in the world then...ok. I trust you now and let’s live life.." ~TheVulcanSalute
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 20 (308 Views)
Sackboy
529 posts

Jun 1, 2013

Aldro wrote:

@cvbxsta

I mean this =>

http://i.imgur.com/CUGqUHs.gif

It looks like he is just mowing backward and then forward to hit him...

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 20 (298 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3354 posts

Jun 1, 2013
it looks like he is simply crouching before moving in for a melee. If so, it's better that way. No need for a counter animation when you can do it yourself.

EyeCue86 is a symbol of free speech. Any attempt to censor EyeCue86 is an act of evil.

"It's that time of the month again, Joel." -Ellie, The Last of Us

"It's that time of the month again, Joel"
-Ellie, The Last of Us
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 20 (294 Views)
I Only Post Everything
872 posts

Jun 1, 2013
@EyeCue86
Yeah but.. can you seriously crouch the melee hits? Whatever he is doing, is a rapid a$$ drop. Im not sure it would work with crouch but hopefully it works or there's some defend button that gets introduced when you fight humans.

Even if there isnt, I guess its okay. The game is to brilliant for me to get upset xD
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 20 (281 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
520 posts

Jun 1, 2013

I was also suspecting that we may still have it against the humans. Or perhaps they ditched the mechanics entirely, which I found more probable. Perhaps we can find out by analyzing the Pittsburg demo.

As a reason for it only working against humans, well, the humans would be more technical and less 'athletic' and erratic than the infected. So, the infected fights would be more tank and spank. Makes some sense.

As a reason for the mechanic to have been abandoned entirely... perhaps it was too hard (too slow) to disengage and too hard to kill a guy among his pack (it is still hard, but not so much). The actual change is, some attacks do not require a matching animation of taking the hit or defending it. Joel now simply gets hit, but the hit doesn't intercept what he is doing. The only things that intecept him are grabs and some specific hits that stun him. I'm not sure, but I think being stunned is a matter of taking too many hits in a short time. Basically the enemies melee doesn't a lot of stooping power. As long as you don't stay put and eat a bunch of hits (or get grabbed), your movement will be unhindered. Whereas in E3, each attack had stopping power.

And I never expected or hoped to be able to defend every attack. That would seriously ruin the survival vibe. In the E3 example, notice that Joel dodges the second attack (which is essentially like breaking free from a grab after taking some damage from this grab).

*goes watch Pittsburg... or maybe later*

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 20 (253 Views)
0 Likes