Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 24 2013
By: TJByrum Hekseville Citizen 359 posts

One Thing I Disliked About the Story (Spoilers)

18 replies 771 views Edited Jun 24, 2013

TLOU had an amazing story and realistic and great characters, and I really enjoyed Ellie (who was the sole reason I bought the game in the first place).  Loved every step of the journey.

But I disliked how the whole Ellie-to-Joel discussion about Sarah played out.  I mean Maria just told Ellie about Sarah off-screen, and Ellie and Joel brought it up about twice, but the second time doesn't really count.

I feel like the whole Joel-and-Sarah ordeal was a big part of the game and a huge part of Joel's character.  I feel like Ellie should have found out about it through Joel, like her finding that picture in Joel's backpack when he gets injured or something.  I don't like how Maria told her off-screen.  I feel like it could have been done better if Joel and Ellie really dove into what happened.

Thoughts?

4. Mass Effect 2
Message 1 of 19 (771 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
594 posts

Re: One Thing I Disliked About the Story (Spoilers)

Jun 24, 2013
I think ND was smart and focused on the characters.

Joel would never bring it up because he just wants to fofget about it. It would be out of character for him to keep the picture and so he rejected it and gave it back to Tommy.

I think he later accepted the stolen picture from Ellie because by that point Ellie was like a daughter to him.

Some other third party had to tell Ellie about Sarah because Joel never would have said.
Message 2 of 19 (764 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
359 posts

Jun 24, 2013
I guess I can understand that... but I don't like that Maria said anything about it.

I'd just liked for Ellie to have found out by seeing the picture and keeping it and bringing it up, leading to an argument like at the ranch when she ran off.
4. Mass Effect 2
Message 3 of 19 (756 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Jun 24, 2013
The beginning of the game was a definite emotional high. I was in a room with two other guys and we were all literally holding back tears. No other part of the game had such an impact. That particular event needed more attention. It would have helped the character development.
Message 4 of 19 (751 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
594 posts

Jun 24, 2013
Yeah that would be cool, although if she just found the picture I wonder if she'd be able to figure out it was Joel's daughter.

I mean Ellie wouldnt even know Sarah's name if she only found the picture without explanation from Maria
Message 5 of 19 (749 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
359 posts

Jun 24, 2013
@Kiddb: Thanks for agreeing.

@Luctiger: Yes, but Ellie could put two and two together. I mean the picture had Joel around Sarah holding a trophy and whatnot. I figured Ellie would be like "Who's this?" and Joel's all like "Where did you get that?" And Ellie's like "...from Tommy's place..." Joel's like "Ellie, you are..."

And it goes on,...
4. Mass Effect 2
Message 6 of 19 (737 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Jun 24, 2013

I thought the pacing of the game was a little off. You spend forever in Summer, Fall is slightly slower, Winter and Spring are incredibly short. At one point you travel across country on horseback and just end up in Utah. I really wish you got to make that journey yourself.

Message 7 of 19 (723 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Jun 24, 2013
It would've been cool if Ellie found the picture, but I have to agree with luctiger98 on this one. It just makes more sense for the story overall in my opinion.
Message 8 of 19 (714 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
594 posts

Jun 24, 2013
If she found the picture and just asked who it was I think that ranch house scene would be much less impactful

Ellie realizing Joel is protective of her because of his loss of Sarah and just boldly saying "I'm not her." really makes that scene for me.
Message 9 of 19 (706 Views)
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Jun 24, 2013

TJByrum wrote:
I guess I can understand that... but I don't like that Maria said anything about it.

I'd just liked for Ellie to have found out by seeing the picture and keeping it and bringing it up, leading to an argument like at the ranch when she ran off.

It does seem a bit weird that Maria said anything about it as she didn't know who Joel was when they showed up at the Dam.

I wonder how Bill knew, as I think it hinted that he did when he said something along the lines of, "At least the infected are predictable. It's the real people that scare me. You outta know about that..."

I love the story but it does feel rushed a bit. I feel the game should've been longer, but thats how I feel about everything I enjoy.

Message 10 of 19 (684 Views)
0 Likes