Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

Re: One Thing I Disliked About the Story (Spoilers)

Jun 25, 2013

I agree on the "rushed" feel, which is odd given how many delays this game got!

Thing is, it felt very well paced at some points (Outskirts, Pittsburgh and the sewers, for example) and very rused at other points (Boston QZ, the huge jump from Summer to Fall, the shortness of Spring).

I'm really hoping we might get DLC to at least flesh out somne of the parts of the journey that were likely cut from the game for time... I loved how the earlier parts (Summer) flow as one long "road trip" that you can follow on a map, and hated the abrupt "teleport to new location" we get in Fall.

Story question: WHEN exactly did Ellie get that photo? As I remember it, Tommy had it in his bag and offered it to Joel while Ellie and Maria were in the canteen eating. It gets put back in the bag and Joel and Tommy go to the turbine room...and they the bandits attack. Ellie and Maria are still in the canteen when this happens. After the attack, Ellie steals a horse and flees, while Maria and Tommy are with Joel. When did Maria have time alone with Ellie to show her the photo, and for her to steal it?

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 19 (182 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jun 26, 2013

This is 20 years later. Joel has long mourn and in that time probably lost numerous people that he has gotten close too. Joel is a hardened by the time we get to him and is not the type of person to let his emotions go. So him telling Ellie anything about Sarah would feel out of character, as you remember he was just going to dump Ellie on Tommy and live the rest of his life alone. Just how he hushed talk about Tess dying who he was very close with. He doesn't let his emotions out. Joel wouldn't have a picture of her because he is trying to forget about her, he keeps the watch because it is one of the last pieces of his humanity. It fit his character showing that he wanted nothing to do with the picture. Feel as though him having it would of been out of placed and if she did find it on him he would shut it down just like he did the whole Tess ordeal. Her finding out from Maria she was able to figure out more details and was able to attack more.

It got me when Joel holds Ellie in his arms after she killed David because when he did so he called her "baby girl". This is the samething he called Sarah when she held her as she died. That was a big acceptance into his heart moment where Joel softened his heart completely for Ellie. It flows into spring the next direct scene as Joel is no longer silent with Ellie, where he ends up taking the turn being the more talkitive one. 

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 19 (142 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

Jul 12, 2013

TJByrum wrote:

I love the story but it does feel rushed a bit. I feel the game should've been longer, but thats how I feel about everything I enjoy.

I agree with you.  I suppose there's not much else we could discover. Maybe an abandoned bowling alley or something would have allowed some good seens between Ellie and Joel, or Ellie and Sam.

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 19 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11094 posts

Jul 12, 2013
Joel just didn't want to talk about Sarah, at all. Plain and simple.

Not even to his brother, Tommy.

Though at the end his relationship with Ellie was stronger so he started to give some details about his past.
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 19 (95 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jul 13, 2013
Well Maria telling her without Joel set up that great exchange in the ranch house
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 19 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Jul 13, 2013
I think it is more in line with Joel's character how it was handled & played out.
Raptr Gamercard
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 19 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
28 posts

Jul 13, 2013

Yeah you have to remember man Joel wanted no part of talking about Sarah.  He did not even want to bring up Tess.  When ellie tried brining up tess he said "first off you will never bring up tess ever".  Joel didnt even tell Bill about tess and Bill kept bringing her up over and over.  Joel is traumatized by loss and wants no part of discussing it with anyone.  The way that it was brought up was appropriate to joel's character.  We all knew it would come out eventually, but i knew it would not be from joel.

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 19 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2480 posts

Jul 13, 2013

Banjo_aus wrote:

I agree on the "rushed" feel, which is odd given how many delays this game got!

It was only delayed once...

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 19 (68 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
212 posts

Jul 13, 2013

"Things happen and we move on".

He says it himself.

Anyway, I highly doubt she would have saw the picture without talking to Maria. I mean after all it was in Tommy's packback, is she gonna go through his stuff and steal it lol? I think it makes complete sense for her to find out about Sarah from another person, Joel isn't the type of person to dwell on the past (especially when it happened 20 years ago). All he is focused on is surviving.

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 19 (62 Views)
0 Likes