Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 02 2014
By: no1_narwhal_fan Lombax Warrior 229 posts

Opinions on TLoU changing?

20 replies 326 views Edited Feb 2, 2014

Recently I've noticed a slight but very noticeable change in peoples opinion regarding how great this game actually is. Even on this site the praise towards the game don't seem to be quite as fanatical as it once was in the first few months after it was released.

I wonder why this is? I appreciate that some of these people saying negative things could be trolls/haters. It could also just be the backlash that you always seem to get when something is very successful ot highly praised. Was there more over the top fanboys posting on message boards when the game first came out? Is there anyone here who has revised their opinion of the game over time and why?

Message 1 of 21 (326 Views)
Wastelander
595 posts

Re: Opinions on TLoU changing?

Feb 2, 2014

That's natural.  When something is popular or critically acclaimed, the hipsters come out of the woodwork and say how overrated it is.  When I was in highschool, kids in my class would rather die than listen to a popular song on the radio. They only liked songs from bands no ones heard of.  That's kind of how it is with games and movies a lot of times.   If a game is popular or critically acclaimed, people will hate on it simply because other people like it.   I don't pay attention to it.

Message 2 of 21 (313 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
269 posts

Feb 2, 2014

no1_narwhal_fan wrote:

Recently I've noticed a slight but very noticeable change in peoples opinion regarding how great this game actually is. Even on this site the praise towards the game don't seem to be quite as fanatical as it once was in the first few months after it was released.

I wonder why this is? I appreciate that some of these people saying negative things could be trolls/haters. It could also just be the backlash that you always seem to get when something is very successful ot highly praised. Was there more over the top fanboys posting on message boards when the game first came out? Is there anyone here who has revised their opinion of the game over time and why?

I think a lot of people are looking back on the game as a whole and are going "Great story and atmosphere of an apocalyptic world but, not so great game-play elements".

Let's be honest....the actual game mechanics (stealth, AI, shooting, crafting) all could've used more polish. They had potential to be so much better. They weren't bad by any means....just not particularly good either.

Message 3 of 21 (309 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
595 posts

Feb 2, 2014

SwisherSweetx wrote:

no1_narwhal_fan wrote:

I think a lot of people are looking back on the game as a whole and are going "Great story and atmosphere of an apocalyptic world but, not so great game-play elements".

Let's be honest....the actual game mechanics (stealth, AI, shooting, crafting) all could've used more polish. They had potential to be so much better. They weren't bad by any means....just not particularly good either.

I honestly thought the gameplay was great.  I felt like the gameplay was perfect for what this game was.  The scarcity of items/supplies made every combat situation seem dire.  Crafting was great as well.  Not too complicated, but not too simple either.  The friendly AI is the only flaw I think could use some correcting.   I guess ND made Ellie undetectable purposely.  It did take me out of the moment when she was bumping into enemies and they didn't notice her.  Besides that, I loved the gameplay.

Message 4 of 21 (305 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1768 posts

Feb 2, 2014

SwisherSweetx wrote:

no1_narwhal_fan wrote:

In my opinion, they did an excelent job on gameplay......

Sure, a few AI inconsistencies..... but I can look past that. And are we forgetting that this is on the PS3? PS3 is not exactly the most technically advanced system

young beard signature
Message 5 of 21 (289 Views)
Naughty Host
8711 posts

Feb 2, 2014
Honeymoon phase is over.

Spec Ops The Line has the best story ever.

Message 6 of 21 (287 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

Feb 2, 2014
Even if it wasn't perfect, it ultimately worked very well together. That matters most.
Message 7 of 21 (286 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1768 posts

Feb 2, 2014

conquerator3 wrote:
Even if it wasn't perfect, it ultimately worked very well together. That matters most.

Yep, better than having a broken game for sure. But when something becomes too popular.... people tend to see it as overrated. So I'm not surprised

young beard signature
Message 8 of 21 (280 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Feb 2, 2014

sweetcastlemagic wrote:

SwisherSweetx wrote:

no1_narwhal_fan wrote:

I honestly thought the gameplay was great.  I felt like the gameplay was perfect for what this game was.  The scarcity of items/supplies made every combat situation seem dire.  Crafting was great as well.  Not too complicated, but not too simple either.  The friendly AI is the only flaw I think could use some correcting.   I guess ND made Ellie undetectable purposely.  It did take me out of the moment when she was bumping into enemies and they didn't notice her.  Besides that, I loved the gameplay.

I would say the gameplay is excellent not perfect. There is always room for improvement.

Message 9 of 21 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11107 posts

Feb 3, 2014
People played other games. Opinions change through time but it's not like these people hate the game, they still love it, i'm... sure.
Message 10 of 21 (255 Views)
0 Likes