Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
229 posts

Re: Opinions on TLoU changing?

Feb 4, 2014

sweetcastlemagic wrote:

SwisherSweetx wrote:

no1_narwhal_fan wrote:

Recently I've noticed a slight but very noticeable change in peoples opinion regarding how great this game actually is. Even on this site the praise towards the game don't seem to be quite as fanatical as it once was in the first few months after it was released.

I wonder why this is? I appreciate that some of these people saying negative things could be trolls/haters. It could also just be the backlash that you always seem to get when something is very successful ot highly praised. Was there more over the top fanboys posting on message boards when the game first came out? Is there anyone here who has revised their opinion of the game over time and why?

I think a lot of people are looking back on the game as a whole and are going "Great story and atmosphere of an apocalyptic world but, not so great game-play elements".

Let's be honest....the actual game mechanics (stealth, AI, shooting, crafting) all could've used more polish. They had potential to be so much better. They weren't bad by any means....just not particularly good either.

I honestly thought the gameplay was great.  I felt like the gameplay was perfect for what this game was.  The scarcity of items/supplies made every combat situation seem dire.  Crafting was great as well.  Not too complicated, but not too simple either.  The friendly AI is the only flaw I think could use some correcting.   I guess ND made Ellie undetectable purposely.  It did take me out of the moment when she was bumping into enemies and they didn't notice her.  Besides that, I loved the gameplay.

I always thought that the gameplay was the most underrated bit of TLoU. Sure it could do with a bit more polish here and there but there was nothing game breaking really. As Swisher said, it gave the player the sense that they were in a desperate fight for survival where every bullet counted and every slight mistake could be fatal which is basically what ND wanted to achieve I guess. It was also quite nicely balanced with different ways to approach each situation. Most importantly it was fun!

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 21 (125 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
999 posts

Feb 5, 2014

SwisherSweetx wrote:

no1_narwhal_fan wrote:

Recently I've noticed a slight but very noticeable change in peoples opinion regarding how great this game actually is. Even on this site the praise towards the game don't seem to be quite as fanatical as it once was in the first few months after it was released.

I wonder why this is? I appreciate that some of these people saying negative things could be trolls/haters. It could also just be the backlash that you always seem to get when something is very successful ot highly praised. Was there more over the top fanboys posting on message boards when the game first came out? Is there anyone here who has revised their opinion of the game over time and why?

I think a lot of people are looking back on the game as a whole and are going "Great story and atmosphere of an apocalyptic world but, not so great game-play elements".

Let's be honest....the actual game mechanics (stealth, AI, shooting, crafting) all could've used more polish. They had potential to be so much better. They weren't bad by any means....just not particularly good either.

hmmm..I thought the game play was outstanding.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 21 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
269 posts

Feb 5, 2014

After reading some of these responces I have to say that it is impossible to discuss any perceived negative aspects about this game on these forums.

OP If you want a more honest and rational discussion I say goto reddit, polygon, or the escapist forums.

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 21 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1766 posts

Feb 5, 2014

SwisherSweetx wrote:

After reading some of these responces I have to say that it is impossible to discuss any perceived negative aspects about this game on these forums.

OP If you want a more honest and rational discussion I say goto reddit, polygon, or the escapist forums.

Yet you persist to be on here.....

young beard signature
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 21 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
269 posts

Feb 5, 2014

YoungBeard wrote:

SwisherSweetx wrote:

Lol its not for your comments and poorly thought out replies, trust me. I think we could all do without them :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 21 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1766 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 5, 2014

SwisherSweetx wrote:

YoungBeard wrote:

SwisherSweetx wrote:

Lol its not for your comments and poorly thought out replies, trust me. I think we could all do without them :smileyhappy:

Coming from a guy who used "fool" at the end of his statement to belittle another post..... :smileytongue:

young beard signature
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 21 (78 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1334 posts

Feb 6, 2014

YoungBeard wrote:

SwisherSweetx wrote:

YoungBeard wrote:

SwisherSweetx wrote:

Coming from a guy who used "fool" at the end of his statement to belittle another post..... :smileytongue:

Nah, leave it be mate.

He clearly chose the wrong forum :smileywink:

He is no fun anyway.

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 21 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
595 posts

Feb 6, 2014

SwisherSweetx wrote:

This is the official forum for the Last of Us.  It's pretty safe to assume the people on this forum are fans of the game.   It's not that we aren't rational, it's just most of the people on these forums love this game.  Considering the game is critically acclaimed and regarded highly among users as well, you won't find many places that hate on this game.  There are some places.  Polygon may be one of them and i know Quarter To Three hates on this game.  Go there if you think this game is overrated.  You're coming on a official game forum and expecting the people on here to not like the game much.  Clearly we are all huge fans of the game if we're are still here 8 months after the release of game.

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 21 (63 Views)
Fender Bender
3519 posts

Feb 6, 2014

I admit, when I finally played TLOU, I didn't get this "HOLY **bleep**, THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER" feeling everyone (Well, most of the people) else seemed to get. For me, it was pretty much just like any other game.

It's a good (great) game, but that's it.

I guess it's because I've already experienced that "awesomeness" all those years ago. Like when I got Uncharted 2 (which was also one of the first PS3 games I ever even had.), that's when I switched on "BEST GAME EVEEEEER" mode. And then Uncharted 3 came, and I was excited about it as well, but when TLOU came, I had lost all that excitement.

"Oh yeah, TLOU was released. I guess I should get it someday."

inb4 hate.

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 21 (58 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1334 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 6, 2014

sweetcastlemagic wrote:

SwisherSweetx wrote:

This is the official forum for the Last of Us.  It's pretty safe to assume the people on this forum are fans of the game.   It's not that we aren't rational, it's just most of the people on these forums love this game.  Considering the game is critically acclaimed and regarded highly among users as well, you won't find many places that hate on this game.  There are some places.  Polygon may be one of them and i know Quarter To Three hates on this game.  Go there if you think this game is overrated.  You're coming on a official game forum and expecting the people on here to not like the game much.  Clearly we are all huge fans of the game if we're are still here 8 months after the release of game.

That is indeed a great post. Thank you :smileyvery-happy:

It's like, people don't go to fast-food restaurants to complain about the food being too rich on fat or bad for your health... The food is usually tasty so that's why folks gather there, and fast.

Following the same logic obviously applies here.

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 21 (54 Views)
0 Likes