Uncharted Territory
1530 posts

Re: *Join The Cause!* The Last of Us Censorship Compared! [NSFW]

[ Edited ]
Sep 26, 2013

Jacko_the_lad wrote:

No, the correct answer is that most people don't care. Smiley Happy

They may see there's censorship, but then realise it's just gore so they're not actually missing out on anything, then move on with their lives.

Exactly this.  It's not like any content was actually cut from the game, and it's not like the game was designed from the ground up to be a family friendly game.  It was a brutal game, and in order to sell it in some areas they cut out a bit of gore.  It changes none of the functionality, and detracts nothing from the story.  If they had to do something like cut out particular scenes from the game's story in order to properly censor the game then I'd definitely understand where the vitriol was coming from.  But they didn't.

Message 661 of 857 (308 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2123 posts

Sep 26, 2013

Bizzerker_Bauer wrote:

Jacko_the_lad wrote:

They may see there's censorship, but then realise it's just gore so they're not actually missing out on anything, then move on with their lives.

Exactly this.  It's not like any content was actually cut from the game, and it's not like the game was designed from the ground up to be a family friendly game.  It was a brutal game, and in order to sell it in some areas they cut out a bit of gore.  It changes none of the functionality, and detracts nothing from the story.  If they had to do something like cut out particular scenes from the game's story in order to properly censor the game then I'd definitely understand where the vitriol was coming from.  But they didn't.

If Gears of War and Mortal Kombat can get through the censors in PAL regions without needing to be cut, and The Last of Us does need a cut, despite being significantly less brutal than the games I've mentioned then someone needs a kick in the head.

Message 662 of 857 (298 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1530 posts

Sep 26, 2013

TeabagMcFrag wrote:

Bizzerker_Bauer wrote:

Jacko_the_lad wrote:

If Gears of War and Mortal Kombat can get through the censors in PAL regions without needing to be cut, and The Last of Us does need a cut, despite being significantly less brutal than the games I've mentioned then someone needs a kick in the head.

Disregarding the gore, TLoU was a lot more brutal than either of those games.  The gore being cut might've been a concession they had to make in order to get it it approved.  Also, I DO remember one of the more recent Mortal Kombat games being refused classification in Australia, and so it wasn't released there at the time.  I also think I remember hearing something about it changing some time later, but I'm not 100% sure about that part.

Message 663 of 857 (288 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
102 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 27, 2013

Bizzerker_Bauer wrote:

Jacko_the_lad wrote:

They cut the gore from all EU versions to sell in some areas. That's the problem. If it needs to be censored in certain areas, then censor it for that area, not everywhere.

Everyone else does it. There are multiple games where Germany/Australia have their own version. Saints rows 4 is censored in Aus, but not every other PAL region as well. It's just SCEE being cheap.

Earlier in the thread, someone said the submission on USK/where ever says original version. Which means it was self censorship, just in case. Cheap, don't want to risk having to submit twice (original & censored), don't want to do two versions (even though UK has it's own anyway). Just being cheap, if it was a small indie pub, you could understand it, but SCEE, just straight up being cheap.

On top of that, if it isn't a big deal as everyone likes to claim, why not be open about it?

Rather than a misleading PR statement from SCEE before the game released and then silence from ND until they simply could not deny it anymore.

After all, it isn't a big deal, so shouldn't have effected anything. Seems they don't share your confidence on that and prefered to slip under the radar.

If beyond two souls, killzone sf or whatever the next game SCEE decides to hack up & censor, I hope I don't see any of you 'not a big deal guys' moaning about it.

Message 664 of 857 (269 Views)
Gaming Beast
1872 posts

Sep 27, 2013

If England has its own version then why cant we have gore? And why do Germany have a issue with gore? I would of thought Germany would be the last Country to have a problem with gore since they started WW2.

Message 665 of 857 (231 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2123 posts

Sep 27, 2013

A-Crap-PIayer wrote:

If England has its own version then why cant we have gore? And why do Germany have a issue with gore? I would of thought Germany would be the last Country to have a problem with gore since they started WW2.

Because SCEE see it as more fitting that we get Polish and Russian languages on our disc than getting something closer to the American product.

Message 666 of 857 (224 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
70 posts

Sep 27, 2013

Bizzerker_Bauer wrote:

TeabagMcFrag wrote:

Bizzerker_Bauer wrote:

Jacko_the_lad wrote:

Disregarding the gore, TLoU was a lot more brutal than either of those games.  The gore being cut might've been a concession they had to make in order to get it it approved.  Also, I DO remember one of the more recent Mortal Kombat games being refused classification in Australia, and so it wasn't released there at the time.  I also think I remember hearing something about it changing some time later, but I'm not 100% sure about that part.

You seem to have not read much of this thread, as your responses (although seemingly logical from some perspectives) miss the point entirely of why this IS a big deal to us.

Your lines about "the gore being cut might've been a concession they had to make in order to get it approved" and "in order to sell it in some areas" have you joining a conversation late in the day with no knowledge of what you're talking about.

Here's a few bullet points to summarise it for you:

1. It is an 18 rated game (highest rating, should have no cuts).

2. It was directly advertised as 'uncensored in Germany' prior to release.

3. There was zero notification prior to release that not just Germany but the entire EU was also cut.

4. PS3 games are region free, so importing would have been no problem had we known.

5. It was not refused classification anywhere, and no country requested cuts.

6. SCEE pre-emptively self-censored ALL THEIR RECENT MATURE GAMES just in case it might have a problem in Germany.

7. The same German 'lite' version is duped for the rest of the EU to be cheap.

8. The EXACT SAME BLOOD AND GORE is found in the SP, so there is literally no reason for it to be gimped in MP.

9. No one else does this, e.g Deep Silver made an Australian version of Saints Row 4, they didn't gimp it for everybody.

This trend is very worrying for the future, because what else will be cut from games based on what some nanny in a suit at a desk in SCEE decides might be problematic? When someone tweeted Rockstar to ask if GTA V was cut in Australia, they replied immediately to assure them that it was the full, original version rated 18.

I have asked multiple people, multiple times in multiple forums / blogs / twitter about Beyond: Two Souls, and the silence is deafening.

That game doesn't have multiplayer, does it? So we're looking at single-player cuts for one of the most anticipated games of this generation.

At the end of the day it is the principle that takes precedent, yes objectively I totally agree with you that in the case of TLOU it is a minor graphical change. And take it from me, I loved the MP gameplay and completed both 12 week runs of hunter and firefly and enjoyed interrogation when it launched. But when you look at the facts above and realise that the ONLY REASONS those cuts were made were:

- Laziness.

- Cheapness.

- Nonsense (same gore in SP)

How can you support that?

So don't look at it from the angle of 'do I care about this specific cut as a gamer?', but 'do I agree with SCEE's reasoning and actions?'

And seriously man, who the hell could look at all that and say yes?

Shedding light on SCE/SCEE's policy of blanket EU censorship.

We don't accept the wall of silence!

http://sceuncut.tumblr.com - http://facebook.com/sceuncut - http://twitter.com/sceuncutblog
Message 667 of 857 (212 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
307 posts

Sep 27, 2013

Nobody is supporting the censorship. We're just saying that nothing major has been cut from the game, therefore there's no real reason to get your knickers in a twist.

Don't get me wrong, if there was something big cut from the game such as a mission, I would join in with the complaints. But it's just blood. It affects nothing.

Message 668 of 857 (196 Views)
Highlighted
First Son
18 posts

Sep 27, 2013

Jacko_the_lad wrote:

Nobody is supporting the censorship. We're just saying that nothing major has been cut from the game, therefore there's no real reason to get your knickers in a twist.

Don't get me wrong, if there was something big cut from the game such as a mission, I would join in with the complaints. But it's just blood. It affects nothing.

Man seriously are you stupid or something??? It's not the cut gore that concerns us, but the precedent that is set by this and by SCE's silent approach to the situation. Who knows what they will cut in their future releases?

Message 669 of 857 (187 Views)
Gaming Beast
1513 posts

Sep 27, 2013
I live in the U.S and have the full gore version.
I paid full price, my friends across the pond did as well. They should get the exact same thing I paid for.
Especially if they weren't told in advance they were not getting the same thing.

Its the principal of it.

I stand behind this thread though it doesnt directly effect me.

I shoot you first, I die= you lag. Vice versa not applicable.
Message 670 of 857 (173 Views)