Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
137 posts

Re: Possibilities of a sequel (spoilers)

[ Edited ]
Jun 26, 2013

To be honest im sick of people saying that if they make a second game with Joel and Ellie it 'defeats the purpose' of the ending. No it doesnt the 'purpose' was to be left open ended for the player/developer/watcher (whoever the **bleep** playing/watching) and allow them to form an opinion on the ending. So no it would not defeat the purpose because it would show us what Naughty Dogs vision of the ending was. So stop using that cheap 'vision' / 'artistic' **bleep** that i am constantly seeing on every sequel based thread on these forums its pissing me off. The best part about this game was the father / daughter type relationship Joel and Ellie had so obviously if new characters are selected they will try to mimic this in some sort of way which in my opinion would feel cheap. (Btw this isnt directed to you "Luctiger", you just happened to be the most recent to post that type of comment that annoyed me)

Quick Edit:

Another thing that pisses me off is when people respond to threads like this saying

"Joel and Ellies story is over just let it be" (not exact but like this)

No their story is not over. There are still infected, hunters and more dangers awaiting them if anything their story has just begun. Face it guys the ending was a blatant move at leaving an opening for a sequel depending on how good the game done (financially) it imo was not artistic or anything it was a blatant cliff hanger. Stop trying to read into it too much Joel lied, Ellie knows (most likely) zombies are everywhere, Joel has bad blood with his brother, Ellie could be getting more and more infected (last scene where she looks at her arm) and hunters and stuff. So yea nowhere NEAR over. Basically the ending is a fail if it wasnt intentionally implying for a sequel (which i think it was).

But obviously peoplle will disagree and try and find some artisitic and intellectual meaning behind it like that form of art where the artist chucks paint on the canvas and sells it for 1 million bucks.

Message 21 of 35 (222 Views)
First Son
11 posts

Jun 26, 2013
^ "Neil Druckmann: We’ve spent a lot of time researching the world and the disease and how institutions react to a pandemic. But then a lot of that stuff is in the background and we’re very conscious of keeping it there. Because that’s not what the story is about – it’s about these two characters and the journey they go on.

I think the world is ripe for more stories, but as far as the journey Joel and Ellie goes on it ends with this game. We were very conscious that we didn’t want to leave this story dangling. If we never do a sequel we’re ok with it, because we told the story we needed to tell."
Message 22 of 35 (213 Views)
Lombax Warrior
137 posts

Jun 26, 2013

Let me translate in Naughty Dogs favourite Language.... Business.

"If the game sucks, sequel with different characters, if its good and people respond well to Ellie and Joel we move forward as previously planned years ago with Sony"

Message 23 of 35 (209 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 26, 2013
Dude no need to get all homoerotic and all but after you said that, alI I can say is that I *Bleep* love you. You have proved the point that I have been trying to tell so many other people. Soufdawg your a legend!!!
Message 24 of 35 (180 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
343 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 26, 2013

I Think it would feel a bit forced if Naughty Dog were to try and continue the Joel/Ellie story. Their relationship developed naturally over the course of the game into a teriffic father daughter dynamic but with that burning question bubbling under the skin (will Ellie believe the lie)

I think it is right to leave it at that for those two. I just think it would feel a bit drawn out if TLOU2 had Ellie then refuse to believe Joel and change the dynamic again only for Joel to have to regain her trust through some other adventure... no. It's perfect the way it is.

That said I 100% want a sequel in the same universe. No reason why Joel/Ellie can't maybe make a cameo or at least get a few mentions in artifacts. Let's revisit this post apocalyptic universe through a fresh pair of eyes. Only thing is I really do like the father/daughter relationship. i would like a similar dynamic (playing as a protector) in any future games.

Message 25 of 35 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
392 posts

Jun 26, 2013

IMO Ellie will return and Joel won't , We end playing as Ellie because we will play as woman Ellie in the next game and by then Joel will be old or even dead! (I hope old) xD

photo psd_signature_mass_effect_by_urrrrrrrrr-d4rckz9_zps4cdccc04.png
Message 26 of 35 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
901 posts

Jun 26, 2013

PBC-The_Killer wrote:
Could you link the article? That would be great:-)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/last-of-us-universe-ripe-for-more-stories-says-naughty-dog-6409457

Message 27 of 35 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
594 posts

Jun 26, 2013
If Ellie were to find out that Joel lied just for the sake of the sequel I really would think it would just diminish the pact of the ending. And yes I do realize I may sound annoying whoever said they hate whoever says this. But this is just my opinion.

And I mean she has to find out if theres a sequel. They can't just never bring it up.
Message 28 of 35 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
594 posts

Jun 26, 2013
Impact*
Double post sorry
Message 29 of 35 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
137 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 26, 2013

"I Think it would feel a bit forced if Naughty Dog were to try and continue the Joel/Ellie story. Their relationship developed naturally over the course of the game into a teriffic father daughter dynamic "

You unintentionally stated WHY this game SHOULD continue Joel and Ellies story in your first paragraph. They are essentially now (non blood related) father and daughter. Joel has grown on Ellie and we (the players) have grown on Ellie, we will now feel a much stronger sense of urgency or pain if something were to happen to her (kidnapped or DIED haha). They have set up their story, built their relationship and showed us the troubles they could encounter (Joel COULD be infected, Tommy didnt make it back to the camp, dem Fireflies, infected, basically all of those dangers are still out there) so basically what I am saying is they should not end the story mid sentence and move on its senseless imho.

So basically for all the people saying it would be cheap and forced if they start the sequel where it is about Joel and Ellie and Joel trying to regain her trust. My reply is who even says that HAS to be the plot? This is Naughty Dog here, the guys who reskinned tomb raider , gave her a schlong, made the storyline premise as BASIC as possible and still kept us engaged during his adventure (Drake and Uncharted 2 to be specific number 3 was no where near as good) and got perfect reviews accross the board.

Also Luctiger it would diminish the impact for you due to it adding closure which understandibly might make it seem more meaningful (the interest about the unknown and stuff) but to me and many more it is a cheap cliff hanger (a good one). Imagine at the end of Halo 2 when Master Chief says

"Finishing this fight"

The game franchise ended. (not that I would have missed it or anything) Bungie essentially let the viewer decide on how the war with the flood and convenant would go down. Look at the ending of 'No Country for old men' AMAZING film but the ending sucked yes I understand it was about an old man realising hes to old for his job and **bleep**, so yes i understood the story but imo it still sucked.

Wow these posts are long didnt realise i liked this game that much.

I also noticed i use the word 'basically' ALOT. Bad habit.

Message 30 of 35 (124 Views)
0 Likes