Jun 03 2013
By: Jazzowsky First Son 8 posts

Realism - so where it should be and it isn't...

[ Edited ]
17 replies 398 views Edited Jun 3, 2013

My opinion is based on demo version which came with GOW:A.

Is it only me or maybe you're bothered with the flashlight, too? I thought that in such game which puts stress on resources, flashlight will become one of the key points in your survival. 

First and foremost lack of reaction from the runners, although they can see you in the dark room but they don't react to the light... It doesn't make sense (for me).

Moving on - no batteries? You only need to shake the pad and boom there you go, now you have a new and fresh flashlight, just with one shake, unbeliavable...

Oh and not that I'm picky, I can live without the animation of Joel turning on and off the flashlight.

I know it's JUST a game but with all the interviews in which creators bragged about the realism, the flashlight is a big letdown. I really thought that those "dark areas" will be more tensed and from what I saw in the demo you can run happily with your flashlight always turned on cause nobody will see it, nobody will react to it and its battery never depletes!!! Miracle!

Furthermore, creators where talking about crafting new weapons, that the game never stops and you do it on the fly in combat, which can end in fast death if you're unprepared. So how bricks and bottles aren't taken from the same backpack? Instead Joel is searching for them in his pants? Really?!

Finally, for the second time, I know it is just a game, but where's the tension? With all those dissapointments it just seems like a casual play and yes I know that I can choose higher level of difficulty, but then again my flashlight is always turned on and those bricks come out of nowhere... 

I still believe that ND will patch it and make it TRULY the best game! 

Message 1 of 18 (398 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
884 posts

Re: Realism - so where it should be and it isn't...

Jun 3, 2013
The flashlight alerting runners would be a huge pain in the **bleep** for everyone who doesnt play with listen mode.

You might be walking past a corner and the light is seen by a runner without you having any idea. I understand being aware of the environment and such but ultimately it is a game and having that kind of realism would only be annoying.
Message 2 of 18 (383 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1642 posts

Jun 3, 2013
There are still batteries in the game (just not in the demo) you shake the controller to temporarily charge your flashlight.
Runners can't see light? as another user on the forums said, (I can't remember his/her name) It was most likely a development choice, so when you entered a dark room, you wouldn't be killed 24/7 by runners.
Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Message 3 of 18 (377 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
143 posts

Jun 3, 2013

What happens if you can't turn on your flashlight whenever you want? What if your screen is too dark and they give you no option to get through it, or you weren't savvy enough to hunt down batteries or save battery power for a specific section? There is always a catch to "Realism" in games. You have to think about how the game would play without the flashlight, considering that would be the consequence of not being able to charge/have batteries for it. 

For most of us, it's an absolutely horrible experience to play ANY game in the dark of the game itself and not being able to see what you're doing. Hence why they probably did what they did. 

Backpack thing has to do with the work dedicated to performing the animations for the character. It's far too much needless work to designate an animation to setting the backpack down, opening it, reaching in, grabbing a bottle/brick, pulling it out, putting the backpack back on, and then going. Hence why they did it like they did. Crafting is risky, but pulling items out is convient because it would be a sloppy management system if it wasn't. What if you wanted to switch to a bottle RIGHT after you threw a brick? That would take for flipping ever with the system you want, and you'd probably get frustrated over the "realism" of it. 

I think they did just fine. You're not thinking too in-depth about the work it takes and ALL the gameplay alternatives of what happens when you implement what you're thinking. 

Message 4 of 18 (375 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

Jun 3, 2013

Flashlight: Batteries are still needed. You scavenge for them and put them in your flashlight when necessary. You can shake your controller to recharge your flashilight temporarily. It will die after extended use.  

Runners: The Runners have sight yes, but it is not good. Just good enough to spot you. I think their vision isn't good enough to differentiate between light's and dark's very well. As the infection progresses they become blind, do I'd assume their vision is pretty crap.  

Bricks/Bottles: Lol, seriously? I think you need to extend your dis-belief and just enjoy yourself. He puts the bricks/bottles in his pants, so what? 

The game is still tense as hell. I think you are hoping for a little much, but this just a demo and a short one at that. So, I'm sure the full game will have more chances to impress your odd standards. 

(I doubt they'll do any patches to fix any of this stuff though. Sorry.)

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 5 of 18 (368 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Jun 3, 2013
when I first played the demo I automatically turned off my flashlight when dropped down into last room, then saw on youtube that somebody played with his flashlight on... then I was like "oh man, it cannot be this way, it's too easy"
Message 6 of 18 (367 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4132 posts

Jun 3, 2013
it amazes me... This game has more small details then any other to add emotion and realism and people still have the nerve to nit pick
-------------------
Iceyfire's youtube
Message 7 of 18 (353 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1789 posts

Jun 3, 2013

Nitpicking to the max.

Message 8 of 18 (334 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
480 posts

Jun 3, 2013
I would go for convenience over realism
Message 9 of 18 (301 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2905 posts

Jun 3, 2013

Message 10 of 18 (297 Views)
0 Likes