Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
210 posts

Re: Realism - so where it should be and it isn't...

Jun 3, 2013

It could be that runners are too simple minded to associate the light with prey, otherwise they would be going after ahh light source out there, including the moon:smileytongue:. Also, they make flashlights that you can shake to recharge, I've seen them on infomercials lol. I am kinda  annoyed that there is no animation for it, but it also makes sense to not have him looking like he's masturbating in a fistfight.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 18 (182 Views)
Splicer
69 posts

Jun 3, 2013

Still a light moving would indicate motion from somewhere.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 18 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
210 posts

Jun 3, 2013

So would moonlight being distorted by a tree swaying in the wind, and you don't see them attacking trees.

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 18 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 3, 2013
Maybe there's a canon reason why they're not attracted to light

Maybe cause they're still aware and still fighting the fungus, they can resist responding to light or maybe light isn't a stimuli that the fungus responds to. But stimulus like movement or a new host is too powerful and causes a response
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 18 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
300 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 3, 2013

The flashlight supposedly still requires batteries; the controller shake is just a temporary charge.

As for why the Runners don't react to your flashlight, I'll give a couple reasons:

Story related reasons: Runners aren't quite blind, but they have very bad eyesight. Eyes are the first part of the body that are affected by the fungus, so even in the Runner stage their eyesight is poor. They can detect a person's movement, but not much else. Furthermore, their brains don't fully function anymore and they moreso act off of instinct. They will attack whatever living thing they can, but that's about the extent of their instinct. A flashlight may imply movement nearby, but it takes the ability to think to come to that conclusion. Runners lack the ability to think and process information. They simply do things by instinct.

Gameplay related reasons: In the demo, it would be easy to pass the section without the flashlight because it's fairy well lit. However, I have a feeling that in the full game you'll be enountering a lot of nearly pitch black sections with Runners. Trying to pass these sections stealthily, if Runners reacted to light, would be near impossible. For example, imagine trying to pass this section without your flashlight. You have to remember, Runners don't care if their in the dark, so therefore you'll often encounter them in the dark. If a Runner ends up in a dark room it's not going to search for nearby lights like a Hunter would. This is why you'll never encounter Hunters in pitch black, but it's likely you'll enounter numerous infected in pitch black. For the sake of allowing for stealth without aggrevating gameplay, Runners can't react to flashlights. It would make it so that parts of the game are basically automatic detection, and thus all your precious supplies would be wasted every time you encounter Runners in the dark.

Lastly, as far as Joel not storing bottles in his backpack...

It's just a gameplay choice to make the game less clunky. It allows for faster switching between a bottle and a gun. Sure, it's not 100% realistic, but this is a video game. In video games, there must be a balance between realism and fun. It would be a bit cumbersome to have to pull out your backpack every time you want to toss a bottle for a distraction.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 18 (130 Views)
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 3, 2013

Yeah the brick/bottle thing is so annoying. Why can't Joel hold it with his hands or put it in his backpack?

And I also hate how his backpack is magnetic. Every single weapon Joel picks up can fasten on his backpack.

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 18 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

Jun 4, 2013

plaZeHD7 wrote:

Yeah the brick/bottle thing is so annoying. Why can't Joel hold it with his hands or put it in his backpack?

And I also hate how his backpack is magnetic. Every single weapon Joel picks up can fasten on his backpack.

I really, really hope that this is a poorly executed joke.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 18 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
231 posts

Jun 4, 2013

if you want realism, play I Am Alive until TLOU comes out.  put it on hard difficulty and then you'll see you don't want true realism.

Supplies are scarce, bullets, and food are scarce... if you don't go back to pick up your arrow from your bow, no more arrows.... on top of all that, the stamina feature will make it even  more realistic will all the climbing you have to do.

if you dont have food or water to replenish your stamina, too bad for you.

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 18 (78 Views)
0 Likes